Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Whats the reason for no CD Player in MS? Cause everybody has an iPod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't understand why the MS doesn't have a CD player? I was told by a rep in the store that because everybody a iPod or some kind music player with a USB that Tesla wasnt going put in a CD player . Thats ridiculous its a 100k car whats the differenceif they put a $99 CD player in the 19 inch screen dashboard .

I still don't understand why the MS doesn't have a CD player? I was told by a rep in the store that because everybody a iPod or some kind music player with a USB that Tesla wasnt going put in a CD player . Thats ridiculous its a 100k car whats the differenceif they put a $99 CD player in the 19 inch screen dashboard .

Besides the obvious it saves money, CD players have a reputation for being high maintenance items and, according to the police in DFW, CDs are the number one reason cars are broken into.

As for someone that has all of my music on CD. Not one for buying lossy compressed music files. But I never really carried my CDs with me, a CD book with 200 discs is bulky and really should be hidden. I really just left the same 6 in the dash. Something that a USB stick can do equally well. Once you rip your archive of CDs to a lossless file it is easy to keep up as you buy them.

That would be one additional moving part in a car that has just a few moving parts.

Didn't know that people still carry around CD's -- one can put the equivalent of hundreds of CD's on a USB drive, and plug it into one of the USB ports in the Model S: easier, better, and again: no moving parts.

Every high end car like Mercedes , BMW etc. has a CD player its not obsolete yet! I got so many cd's ! What am I suppose burn them all to my iphone then play them through the USB in the MS. I cant believe all the peolpe who got the MS already didnt complain.

I guess to each his own, but I can't imagine putting a bunch of CDs in the MS and having to switch them in and out. The easy access of thousands of songs from all your devices and the MS is so much more convenient and safer. I have my MS for a few months now and Slacker and iPhone integration works great.

Every high end car like Mercedes , BMW etc. has a CD player its not obsolete yet! I got so many cd's ! What am I suppose burn them all to my iphone then play them through the USB in the MS. I cant believe all the peolpe who got the MS already didnt complain.

Don't you already have all your CDs ripped? It is so much better to have a tiny USB stick than at full book of CDs.

There was a time when MB, BMW, Audi had cassette players too. Who is to say they are the ones to determine when CDs are obsolete. Becides a lot of these cars have non-accessible CD changers which are beyond useless. A 4GB USB stick is a way better solution.

Tesla is just being forward-thinking. In about a year or two, you will find that many manufacturers will be deleting this option on their vehicles. Those that do offer it, generally offer some way to get the music off of the CD and onto a hard drive storage system, leaving a lossy MP3 (or some other format) copy on the 30/40/50 gig hard drive. The Model S has this feature (increased size with sound upgrade), but instead of copying from a CD, you will likely have some method of uploading to the car's infotainment hard drive.

In a few years, the CD will go the way of the cassette tape. In a few more, the DVD will follow. Shortly after that, the blu-ray will disappear.

I only use the CD player when I break the cord on the cassette adapter between the iPhone and the cassette player. (They should make them with a quick disconnect.) No USB in the 2004 Prius.

I own over 1000 CDs and have them all ripped to FLAC. My last vehicle (a 2011 Ford Edge) had a 6-disc CD changer, and I never used it. Instead, I carried a 250GB USB hard drive with my entire collection ripped to high bitrate AAC (the audio system in the Edge didn't support FLAC).

Since the Model S does support FLAC, I've replaced the content on the hard drive with FLAC copies. Having said all this, I'm using Slacker right now more than anything.

If you can afford a $100k car, why not buy a $50 iPod?

Seriously, CD is yesterday's technology. We don't put cassette players or 8tracks in there either.

:)

Our family regularly gets kids music from the library on CD. My wife and 4 year old daughter were disappointed there was no CD player. They also weren't a big fan of my telling them to go to the computer and rip the songs to a USB drive.

On the other hand, the Tesla is a big hit with the kids because they get a kick out of picking their favorite songs on Slackr!

So I need some help on the music issue, can you tell me the easiest way to put some of my many CD's on either an iPod or iPhone and be able to play them in the MS. I do not have much experience with music other than the traditional CD player. I know I need to get with the latest technology, so any input would be appreciated.

So I need some help on the music issue, can you tell me the easiest way to put some of my many CD's on either an iPod or iPhone and be able to play them in the MS. I do not have much experience with music other than the traditional CD player. I know I need to get with the latest technology, so any input would be appreciated.

For iPhone/iPod I'd simply use iTunes to import your music onto your computer hard drive. From there you can transfer it to your iPod. It is a time consuming process as you have to import one CD at a time.

If you know someone who has done this process before, maybe they could walk you through it. Once you see it done once it becomes very easy.

I disagree. Those are all obsolete :)
I haven't used a CD by choice in more than 4 years. I only used CDs in my rav4 since it played mp3 files. Then I got an mp3 player and never used the CD's anymore. They suck compared to ssd storage

Go with a 16GB or 32GB thumb drive. They are very small and cheap.