Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Whats the reason for no CD Player in MS? Cause everybody has an iPod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I need some help on the music issue, can you tell me the easiest way to put some of my many CD's on either an iPod or iPhone and be able to play them in the MS. I do not have much experience with music other than the traditional CD player. I know I need to get with the latest technology, so any input would be appreciated.

For iPhone/iPod I'd simply use iTunes to import your music onto your computer hard drive. From there you can transfer it to your iPod. It is a time consuming process as you have to import one CD at a time.

If you know someone who has done this process before, maybe they could walk you through it. Once you see it done once it becomes very easy.

Or, you can use services such as these:

High Quality CD Ripping to MP3 - CD Conversion Service

MusicShifterCD Ripping Service, CD Conversion Service

You can ship your CDs to them and they rip and organize the mp3 files for you for a flat fee per CD.

Or, you can use services such as these:

High Quality CD Ripping to MP3 - CD Conversion Service

MusicShifterCD Ripping Service, CD Conversion Service

You can ship your CDs to them and they rip and organize the mp3 files for you for a flat fee per CD.

I'd rather use child labor personally. Kids love to spend hours on a computer doing menial tasks if you convince them they know how to do it better than you :)

But seriously, CD's are ancient history. I can fit thousands of songs on a USB drive the size of my fingernail that doesn't have any moving parts. Personally, I keep everything on my iPhone and plug that into my car to play music. But I can totally see skipping that and going to a cloud based solution. Tesla is right on this, just like Apple was right to repeatedly cut things like floppy drives, CDROM's, DVDROM's and even Hard Drive's from their computers.

CD's stopped being a current technology in the 90's, and it's only been inertia by the music industry refusing to adapt which has kept them on the market.

I also agree you don't want an iPod, you want a flash drive (this is from somebody that has 3 iPods, 2 iPads and an iPhone, but I don't use them in the car, I use a flash drive). For about $20 you have something that holds all your music. Ripping all your CD's takes a bit of time (as I remember from when I did it 12 years ago).

I'm certainly glad there's no CD player. It's definitely obsolete like the cassette decks that preceded it.

I love listening to music while driving, but I gave up fooling with CDs many years back. For my own music collection Bluetooth playback from an iOS device is great, though I do wish I could initiate Siri commands from the steering wheel. For discovering new music I have absolutely adored having TuneIn and Slacker integration. At least for my needs, Tesla got it almost exactly right.

Every high end car like Mercedes , BMW etc. has a CD player its not obsolete yet! I got so many cd's ! What am I suppose burn them all to my iphone then play them through the USB in the MS. I cant believe all the peolpe who got the MS already didnt complain.

Don't those cars also come with big steel blocks that propel the car forward by using tiny explosions?

Just sayin'

CDs are an old deprecated technology now. I probably haven't used my CD burner since the 1st generation iPhone came out 2007. With phones having 64GB of storage and bluetooth and all new cars supporting that, I don't understand why any new car would have a CD player anymore anyway. They break way to easily anyway (every car I owned that had a CD player, it broke).

Hard drives are cheap too. With all these media devices and cheap externals, I turned an old mac into a media player with xbmc, slapped on several multi-terabyte storage devices, hooked it up to a 1080p sony and thx surround system, and thus I haven't used my DVD burner in years either. Never even bothered with blu ray burner. Also not needed.

The point is that CDs are a thing of the past. CD Sales continue to plummet year after year as digital sales increase year over year. Albums are bought through places like Itunes nowadays. http://mashable.com/2012/07/24/music-sales-decline/

I still don't understand why the MS doesn't have a CD player? I was told by a rep in the store that because everybody a iPod or some kind music player with a USB that Tesla wasnt going put in a CD player . Thats ridiculous its a 100k car whats the differenceif they put a $99 CD player in the 19 inch screen dashboard .

I just realized that my '09 Cadillac CTS has a CD player and I've never once put a disk into it. I generally use my iPod and have copied a few tracks to the car's hard drive from a USB thumb drive. I should go put a disk in and see if it works!

I agree with you 100%

the only problem with that prediction of the future is 10 years from now....when the MS infotainment system is obsolete (not to mention how obsolete the battery technology may be by then :(

this car is leaps and bounds ahead of its competitors and I think it will be the best EV (dare I say best vehicle period?) on the market for the next 10 years. Everytime I tell someone this I realize that 10 years is an eternity for technological advancements...so I say it and hope it's true...but only time will tell...

Has anybody tried an external USB CD-ROM yet?

For $7, it's tempting to try it out:
Amazon.com: 24x USB External Slim CD-ROM Drive (Black): Computers Accessories

That won't work. The USB port will read FAT32 (or perhaps more, NTFS, etc…) but will not read Audio CD's. Audio CD's are not compatible *at all* with the software used to pull music off of a USB drive.

Bottom line, an CD drive is *not* a USB drive because the CD does not contain the same filesystem.

- - - Updated - - -

If there is an AUX input (mini-stereo plug), folks can plug a portable cd player into that. If there isn't (I haven't looked), you can always plug this: CLEAR SOUNDS CS-QLINK Stereo TV Transmitter/Bluetooth Dongle
into a portable CD player and stream over bluetooth.

But honestly, if you're doing all that, rip the CD's and put them on a thumb drive. Really… your life will be easier.

I ripped all my CDs to MP3 256kps some years ago. Unfortunately, the Model S's Sound Studio + quiet driving environment have now convinced me to go back and re-rip my entire collection (~1,000 discs) to FLAC. A 128GB USB flash drive carries a useful sub-set of the collection.

The biggest PITA is the low consistency of entries in the central databases for classical music. It's bad enough, but not overly surprising, that there's variation across discs in multi-disc sets. The time sink isn't ripping; it's getting all the id fields consistent so that I can find items later!

That said, I don't mourn the absence of a CD player in the Model S. I view my discs as archival, so I wouldn't want to take them out where they can be damaged. Some of my older discs are already showing signs of decay (these are from the days when CDs were very new; I don't think production standards were quite up to snuff on all the production lines).

My Prius has a CD player. It's really cool, hidden behind the touch screen display. When you push the CD button, the entire display rotates downward and the CD player presents itself. The kids really like it and we push the button every once in a while to see it work. I've never actually played a CD in it though. Now where are those things?

That won't work. The USB port will read FAT32 (or perhaps more, NTFS, etc…) but will not read Audio CD's. Audio CD's are not compatible *at all* with the software used to pull music off of a USB drive.

Bottom line, an CD drive is *not* a USB drive because the CD does not contain the same filesystem.
Yes, audio CD's are a different beast that Model S isn't likely to support (yet?). But you could still burn a data disc in ISO9660 format and see if the Model S gobbles it up. ;)

Some of my older discs are already showing signs of decay (these are from the days when CDs were very new; I don't think production standards were quite up to snuff on all the production lines).

...the problem I have is that once they figured out the manufacturing consitency issues, they then started cutting costs as much as possible and using discs that don't age nearly as well. My older discs are in much better shape than a lot of the newer ones where they were trying to save a few fractions of a penny on the metal film inside the plastic sandwich...

I imagine when third party apps come out then it might be a possibility (although that may still require some hacking, kind of like rooting in Android).

Or maybe an Android compatible USB CD player might work (although it seems this works on Android by emulating a USB flash drive, so basically data CDs and DVDs will work but not audio CDs or commercial DVDs):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151254&Tpk=Samsung%20SE-218BB&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5583226&SID=skim1629X829050Xa26511b12b9b3387e90700188995e8e3

If power from the USB port is an issue, a powered hub can be used to give extra power. However, in the end this still seems to be too much of a hack just to have CD support. Much easier just to rip CDs to a USB stick.