Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audiophiles w/ Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was just posted yesterday in the other forum - re-posted here in case those interested in swapping 4 inch drivers in rears doors didn't see . . .

So, here we go. The $64,000 question: can the rear 4-inch drivers be replaced and swapped out for Infinity reference 4022?

Yes they can. But there are some caveats. One of the door clips will not fit due to the protrusion of the much larger infinity magnet into a part of the door. Unless you're willing to grind that inner plastic structure on the door down with a grinding wheel to get an extra quarter inch of clearance you're going to have to live with that. However the two bottom clips that are critical to securing the door go in and every other one does so it's only one clip right next to the speaker that can't quite reach its socket.

Step one - take off the door with a Torx 30 and remove the pop in Clips carefully making sure to pull straight out or otherwise they will fracture. They take a lot of force to remove especially if this is the first time you've removed the rear door liner.

Step 2 - use a small drill bit to create a countersink hole on the three posts of the stock 4 inch driver. Then take a quarter inch drill and ream the entire plastic bolt attachment out, and the speaker should come out cleanly. Clean up around that because you're going to need all the clearance you can get and this leaves a certain amount of plastic debris in some cases protruding upwards. You can't afford to lose any clearance and the new driver has to fit completely flush on the grill. When you're using the drill be extremely careful that you do not puncture the outer door because otherwise you'll be buying a new one and they're expensive. So go light on the force when you're drilling out those 3 plastic bolts holding the stock driver.

Step 3 - I created a small pin like adapter that would plug into the stock harness (using sewing needles of all things!) but you will need very small pins because the openings in the stock harness are extremely small. Most speaker pins are way too big. I attached a 6in chunk of 16 gauge or 18 gauge wire with the two pins coming out to insert into the harness and then I taped the pen assembly to the harness so that it would not easily disconnect.

Step 4 - you're going to have to find a way to securely attach the driver on top of the old Grill. There's a bit of a tab protruding into the infinity tweeter and that again eats up precious space so I cut that out. It doesn't look like it does anything functional. I used Gorilla Glue in a glue gun and just gave me a very solid bond between the metal of the speaker basket and the plastic Grill structure in the door. I chose a glue gun because of the quick set up time otherwise you've got a basically have the door drawing for hours and hours.

Step 4 - reattach the door but do not expect the pop in clip nearest the speaker to fit. The only way I think that could be fit as if you grind down at least a quarter inch of the plastic sleeve which I think of some kind of polycarbonate. The speaker is going to sit flush against this so I put some kind of foam but not the foam that is already there because that's too thick. I used double sided 3M tape to reduce vibration and offer additional securing of components to one another. Make sure you've got positive to positive on your speakers and keep in mind that Tesla's color codes are a little bit funky. Sometimes blue is positive sometimes red is positive and sometimes even yellow or brown is positive. You can tell on the speaker harness because if you're looking at the speaker from the magnet side up, the positive is on the left side.

Step 5 - crank the volume up!!

If you've replaced the three front 4-inch drivers and the two rear I think you've reached a point of diminishing returns but of course if you're a total Gearhead and you have to replace everything then you got the two in the package shelf to do which I suspect are real Beast. I'm not going to do them. Famous last words.

Picture of pin adapter already posted here

Could you attach the photos here? I hate it when websites make you register to view attachments.

Could you attach the photos here? I hate it when websites make you register to view attachments.

Sure.

Let me just summarize for folks what I've discovered.

The best bang for the buck in terms of modification of the stock stereo is replacing the 4-inch midrange drivers in the dash with Infinity reference 4022. The speakers are not that easy to get in and out you will need a special tool because the lack of clearance from the windshield) and because the speaker basket has different attachment points you will have to improvise a bit to secure the Infinity basket (see improvised clip). A paragraph This modification does two things. First of all it obviates the need for boosting the treble which many have commented on. Secondly it adds significant clarity to vocals and just generally better definition from upper mid-range up. Replacing the speakers in the rear doors is possible but a bit more problematic and challenging. I also don't necessarily recommend that unless you like a brighter overall acoustic balance. Additionally the larger magnet structure of the Infinity reference speaker will not fit and you will not be able to put the door sleeve fully on unless you substantially cut away at the inner polycarbonate door sleeve underneath the speaker so that you gain about a quarter inch of space. But the door will still fit and it will still close.

20190410_110704.jpg
20190415_171425.jpg
View attachment 399486
20190412_125643.jpg
20190410_110327.jpg
20190412_161943.jpg

Has anyone in the California bay area done the Infinity Reference 4022 speaker upgrade that's willing to give me a listen? I want to know if this upgrade will satisfy me or if I'll want to go another route. Thanks!

Obviously I'm just a bit out of your geographical area by a few thousand miles but the question might be what is wrong with the stock system from your point of view and what do you want to get to? If you're looking for something that's really equivalent to separates and very high SPL you might be at least a little bit disappointed in the Infinity reference 4022. The problem is space, or more properly the severe lack thereof. If you go to Parts Express you can see a couple of pretty high-end 4 inch full range drivers, including a reasonably priced one from Dayton audio that looks excellent. The problem is whether or not it will fit. You could always buy one and test fit it. Another potential problem is that if you get a higher Fidelity but significantly less efficient driver you are really making things worse because the system at that point may not be loud enough for you, and then you're back into reverse engineering the front computer and audio feeds and getting a separate amplifier. Way too much work and expense in my opinion.. That's another reason that the infinity speaker swap out was attractive. Those are fairly efficient . Keep in mind that most of your sound and most of your perceived sound quality outside of the bass is coming from the complement of the seven discrete 4-inch drivers. And I believe both in the dash and in the rear door but I'm not sure about the package shelf, they are run full range except for a steep High Pass probably starting at around 200 Hertz.

Compared to several systems that had separates I think with the Infinity reference speakers swap out the system in the car is comparable to that. But some might quarrel with the full range 4 inch driver approach. In any case it does sound like it would be good to get a listen to somebody maybe flashfloodER is in your area, I don't recall but you could easily track down his location from The Forum information. He's an excellent resource

Last edited:
Yes for just 75 bucks in drivers and a couple hours of time Max you get an amazing Improvement in replacing those three front dash speakers. For sure the best bang-for-the-buck modification not just on this car but on any car audio modification I've ever done. FlashfloodER you pioneered the way!

I wonder if these would fit, they seem like they would be a perfect replacement based on other reviews of in dash uses

"FaitalPRO 4FE32 4" Neodymium Professional Full-Range Woofer 4 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

There is a ferrite magnet version as well and seems to have better specs for a dash mount, specs on both

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-1120-faitalpro-4fe32-4-specifications.pdf

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-1123-faitalpro-4fe35-4-specifications.pdf

Last edited:
I wonder if these would fit, they seem like they would be a perfect replacement based on other reviews of in dash uses

"FaitalPRO 4FE32 4" Neodymium Professional Full-Range Woofer 4 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

There is a ferrite magnet version as well and seems to have better specs for a dash mount, specs on both

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-1120-faitalpro-4fe32-4-specifications.pdf

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-1123-faitalpro-4fe35-4-specifications.pdf

Those actually look quite impressive. After I get some coffee I'll go measure the stock speaker in terms of depth and basket dimensions and see how well it lines up with that. It might be a better fit actually it than the infinity with that nice small magnet and less than 2 in of total depth. Clearly would fit better in the rear.

Not bad, although it is 4o mh so might be harder to drive compare to 3 ohm infinity.

Those actually look quite impressive. After I get some coffee I'll go measure the stock speaker in terms of depth and basket dimensions and see how well it lines up with that. It might be a better fit actually it than the infinity with that nice small magnet and less than 2 in of total depth. Clearly would fit better in the rear.

The stock speaker is 1 7/8 in deep from top of the mounting surface to the bottom of the magnet in the Infiniti is 2 in deep but the magnet is way bigger. So this looks like it's a better fit for sure and although the dash installation can accommodate it the rear doors really are a challenge. So looks like a good fit and a good find.

The version with the bigger magnet would probably fit in the dash but you encounter the same problems that I did when trying to put it in the door. It's pretty kludgy fit although it can be done. The smaller magnet version looks perfect for the rear doors

Last edited:
Not bad, although it is 4o mh so might be harder to drive compare to 3 ohm infinity.
no it will be easier to drive at 4 ohms just less power delivered, less sensitivity, its already down 1db from the infinity so I'm guessing another db for that, its all about the smooth response especially off axis with this driver and the midrange is supposed to be super detailed and natural sounding, there are many high end home speaker builders using the 3" and 4" version of these and saying only a couple of less sensitive and extremely expensive drivers surpass them, one is an Accutron ceramic cone model for several hundred each.

The version with the bigger magnet would probably fit in the dash but you encounter the same problems that I did when trying to put it in the door. It's pretty kludgy fit although it can be done. The smaller magnet version looks perfect for the rear doors
You did 2 cars already with the infinity? would be really awesome if you switched one car out with the Faital Pro drivers to compare, just sayin' I mean you should be pretty fast at it now haha.

also I read that some reviews have said the neo is a little better and others the ferrite mag sounds little better, the total Q on the ferrite magnet seems a little better suited to open baffle but it may not be a noticeable different as the spec are very close on both, clearly the neo wins for mounting ease though so may be best to stick with that one.

You did 2 cars already with the infinity? would be really awesome if you switched one car out with the Faital Pro drivers to compare, just sayin' I mean you should be pretty fast at it now haha.

also I read that some reviews have said the neo is a little better and others the ferrite mag sounds little better, the total Q on the ferrite magnet seems a little better suited to open baffle but it may not be a noticeable different as the spec are very close on both, clearly the neo wins for mounting ease though so may be best to stick with that one.

Don't tempt me! My wife is threatening to commit me if I do any more pimping out (her term) of either Telsa! OK, she's got a point . . .I've done 1) wheels and tires on both 2) dynamatting all over the place (except still have the floors to do!); 3) ceramic coating on paint and windshields; 4) PPF on headlights and door sills; 5) carbon fiber wraps and pieces all over the place; 6) music server and dash cam flash drives; 7) UP front spoiler on one car (expensive!); 8) of course the 3D floor mats; 9) Racing Brake rotors on one car (even more expensive). Yea, it's getting . . . or already is . . .ridiculous. Still have sport coilovers from MPP to install though - have to hide those when they come.:p:p:p

Maybe . . . just maybe I'll do the rear drivers on her car with the small magnet Faitals - her car still has the stock drivers in back. Have to do it some day when she is away and not using the car! Hah!:cool::cool::cool:

Telsa Tuning Addiction - it's a biatch!

Last edited:
Don't tempt me! My wife is threatening to commit me if I do any more pimping out (her term) of either Telsa! OK, she's got a point . . .I've done 1) wheels and tires on both 2) dynamatting all over the place (except still have the floors to do!); 3) ceramic coating on paint and windshields; 4) PPF on headlights and door sills; 5) carbon fiber wraps and pieces all over the place; 6) music server and dash cam flash drives; 7) UP front spoiler on one car (expensive!); 8) of course the 3D floor mats; 9) Racing Brake rotors on one car (even more expensive). Yea, it's getting . . . or already is . . .ridiculous. Still have sport coilovers from MPP to install though - have to hide those when they come.:p:p:p

Maybe . . . just maybe I'll do the rear drivers on her car with the small magnet Faitals - her car still has the stock drivers in back. Have to do it some day when she is away and not using the car! Hah!:cool::cool::cool:

Telsa Tuning Addiction - it's a biatch!
Haha, I only powder coated the stock wheels and changed out the tires size but I get it, I really do want the MPP comforts but not really for lowering, for a better ride and handling, I have to say though that with the 255/40/19's i'm running now the comfort has improved so much that i'm not sure ill take the chance on the coilovers?

My thought is that if you change out the rear deck to the Faital pro's and hear anything you think MAY be better then we will be hearing more from you on changing out at least one car! I mean how else are you going to make a fair comparison, haha!

What did you set up for a music server? curious.

Haha, I only powder coated the stock wheels and changed out the tires size but I get it, I really do want the MPP comforts but not really for lowering, for a better ride and handling, I have to say though that with the 255/40/19's i'm running now the comfort has improved so much that i'm not sure ill take the chance on the coilovers?

My thought is that if you change out the rear deck to the Faital pro's and hear anything you think MAY be better then we will be hearing more from you on changing out at least one car! I mean how else are you going to make a fair comparison, haha!

What did you set up for a music server? curious.

Will for sure post if I do the Faitals on my wife's car.

Had an SSD with about 180 GB of Apple Lossless files, but the system won't read those anymore after the second to last firmware update.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
So these will fit in the dash?

Thinking about swapping out my dash speakers. How do you remove the speaker grill? Trying to see what’s the level of effort.

Also, for the sewing needles did you just use standard sewing needles?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8LKP1P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BjGXCbGRMF98W

I may even attempt to do a DIY video ‍♂️

Without a test fitting I'm loath to commit to any version of absolutely yes but by measurements, yes they should fit and should fit better than the Infinity reference 4022