Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audiophiles w/ Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t mean to go to far off topic here but I have an SR+ with no amp and it sounds good at high volume but lousy otherwise.

My guess is the speakers are designed to work with an amp and are in efficient.

I want to add a small amp but have no idea where the speaker wires originate. There must be an amp of some kind.

It is not like an old school car with a radio with outputs

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don’t mean to go to far off topic here but I have an SR+ with no amp and it sounds good at high volume but lousy otherwise.

I want to add a small amp but have no idea where the speaker wires originate. There must be an amp of some kind.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the SR+ complement of speakers, but see the thread earlier on replacing the front dash drivers, as they make your largest contribution to sound, along with the front door woofers

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I forgot to respond to some other aspects of your post. It's extremely unlikely that an auto manufacturer would put inefficient speakers into a stock stereo. The most expensive part of stereos is the power amplifier. So typically car manufacturer save there by fitting highly-efficient speakers. Because the speakers are discreetly Amplified and have fairly strictly controlled frequency ranges, the old strategy of putting in a more powerful aftermarket amp makes little sense outside of a subwoofer. You are really chasing your tail on that point. If you were local I'd be more than happy to give you a demo of what I've done and you could hear the system for yourself.

Reactions: solodogg
I forgot to respond to some other aspects of your post. It's extremely unlikely that an auto manufacturer would put inefficient speakers into a stock stereo. The most expensive part of stereos is the power amplifier. So typically car manufacturer save there by fitting highly-efficient speakers. Because the speakers are discreetly Amplified and have fairly strictly controlled frequency ranges, the old strategy of putting in a more powerful aftermarket amp makes little sense outside of a subwoofer. You are really chasing your tail on that point. If you were local I'd be more than happy to give you a demo of what I've done and you could hear the system for yourself.
By inefficient I don’t mean poor quality I simply mean they were designed to work with an amplifier.

You have one I don’t . I have an SR+.

I have worked in and out of car audio for over 25 years. Adding a small amp to a stock setup in most new cars really wakes it up. They take little power these days, no need to run power to a battery. We often put them behind the radio they are so small.

On my model there is no amplifier therefore they are under driven and I want to add a small amplifier to make it sound more like the premium setup.

I just don’t know where the speaker wires originate in the car.

You seem offended by my post and I have no clue why.

By inefficient I don’t mean poor quality I simply mean they were designed to work with an amplifier.

Now on my model there is no amplifier therefore they are under driven and I want to add a small amplifier to make it sound more like the premium setup.

I just don’t know where the speaker wires originate in the car.

You seem offended by my post and I have no clue why.

let me assure you first of all I'm not remotely offended I'm simply saying that it is very unlikely that the problem is that the speakers are inefficient. I'm also trying to educate you. You may feel somehow that that's patronizing but I don't intend it that way. I'm simply saying that Tesla's approach to dedicated amplification for each group of speakers pretty much precludes the traditional audio upgrade pathway of simply buying a higher power amplifier and running all the audio output through that.

Several very experienced guys have commented on how difficult it is to do that with this system. I'm trying to save you from a lot of expense and grief. I've had a lot of experience with this having upgraded every car stereo I've ever owned for the last 40 years. I'm trying to get you to see options that are not expensive that will significantly improve your audio system. That's not coming from my being mad with you or irritated at your questions. I'm trying to help you out.

Have you heard the difference between your system and the SR+ system?

It is not just the sub that makes a difference .
Yours sounds good at low volume. Mine is completely flat unless you have it super loud then it wakes up.

The audio in my car is a huge disappointment.

Since the speakers and the source are the same (save a few less in the pillars and the sub one would think the lack of amplifier is the issue. The amp in the trunk on yours is not just for the sub?

Unless it is in which case then yes an amp won’t improve anything

Yours sounds good at low volume. Mine is completely flat unless you have it super loud then it wakes up.

Since the speakers and the source are the same (save a few less in the pillars and the sub one would think the lack of amplifier is the issue. The amp in the trunk on yours is not just for the sub?

So I assume you've compared at identical volumes your audio system with the audio system in a premium long range or performance version? Because you know that volume has a huge impact on perceived audio quality. A single DB of extra volume makes people rate a loudspeaker as clearer, more accurate, etc then an identical loudspeaker.

So if you're not controlling for volume levels your ears or more properly in this case your integrated auditory neural system will fool you every time. If you think this is just being overly cautious, check the literature. So you need to compare the systems with a sound meter level on the same material. In any case I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your system sounds flat? Lacking in highs? Or some other deviation from neutral?

If you've done that and you're still convinced that the SR plus stereo is inferior despite having the same speakers, then you have another explanatory challenge. All the audiophile research has shown that outside of clipping or differences in frequency response, in other words outside of conditions where you're overloading the amp or the amp has actually a different response curve, people cannot hear the differences between amplifiers. I know that shatters closely-held audiophile Doctrine but it's also factual. These are findings emerging from careful double-blind research with experienced listeners, musicians and people who fancy themselves as having golden ears and who initially would oftentimes present strident claims that they can hear the difference between a premium amplifier and a less expensive one. All of those claims have been blown up scientifically. Where you can hear the difference however is when an amplifier interacts desirable or undesirably with the load that is Speaker presents to it particularly its impedance at certain frequencies. Because that alters the frequency response then you can hear the difference.

Hope this is at least helpful because I'm still concerned that you are chasing unicorns. Again not trying to make you feel bad just trying to give you some perspective.

Last edited:

Sorry I didn't respond to all of your questions. My understanding is that the amp in the trunk is just for the subwoofer but I'm not positive. I suppose another possibility is that you actually have a defective audio system in some way. Have you had Tesla check it out?

I think the a pillar tweeters are really just for immersion sound and contribute not a whole lot other than that. So if you have 3 dash speakers and 2 rear door speakers and those are all four inch drivers that are the same drivers in the premium system, then you have the same core compliment as the Premium Auto system - except for the subwoofer and the immersion speakers. Aand unless they are using really cheaper drivers which is entirely possible your system should not sound that bad.

Can you pull off your front dash Grill and pull out one of those drivers and take a picture of it and send it to me? It's not that hard to do. That would tell me a lot. It's entirely possible that the premium system has better drivers in those locations in which case there would be a big difference in sound. But if they're the same, then we have a problem in terms of explaining the perceived Sonic deficits of your system compared to the premium one. Most of the sound is actually coming from those seven four in drivers that are run almost full range.

And if for some reason those drivers are not the same as the ones in the premium system, then your best upgrade dollar is to replace at least the front three in the dash with a better speaker. That difference you're going to hear, and dramatically.

Hey all! I've been plotting upgrading my speakers since I got my car in December and posted in a different thread in the past (pestering flashflooder with some questions about his setup). Obviously doing the 4" speakers isn't super difficult, but I also want to do the woofers up front as well (probably with the 8" Focals), and mount all the speakers as well as possible, so now that I have my 3D printer running I am likely to design and print out my own brackets to get everything setup as ideally as possible.

I was planning to do this whenever I got around to it but I've seen a few people asking about brackets and so I wonder: is there a good amount of interest here if I were to design brackets and offer them for reasonable cost to recoup my (and my printer's) time and materials? Maybe something like $15 for a pair of brackets? I could also put together kits for others interested who don't want to go searching for feather headers and screws, etc.

Any thoughts on that? I haven't done all the measurements yet so I have to first verify my printer can handle the size the brackets would be, but I am pretty certain I can manage it, and I probably could get them printed and start shipping out by the end of the month.

Reactions: flashflooder