Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems they are making base builds now.
It is funny we call white/black/19/5 seat/no-tow as base. Any other manufacturer, whether you pick an extra cost paint option, opt for third row or not , choose a dealer installed option or not does not decide whether you ordered a base model or not. Usually it is by trim levels. Would Tesla really discriminate on difference of $1-4k on an almost 60k vehicle instead of building config by amount of demand?

Reactions: 45thParallel
It is funny we call white/black/19/5 seat/no-tow as base. Any other manufacturer, whether you pick an extra cost paint option, opt for third row or not , choose a dealer installed option or not does not decide whether you ordered a base model or not. Usually it is by trim levels. Would Tesla really discriminate on difference of $1-4k on an almost 60k vehicle instead of building config by amount of demand?
How else can you explain the 4 month EDD delay on MY LR when ordering base vs literally any add-on.

Reactions: leaftoy
4 month delay? When did you order?
@mwdietertg is referring to the fact that if you order today the no extra cost configurations are estimated to take 4 months longer than any extra cost configuration (except for tow and FSD which don't seem to change the estimated date). I stand corrected. Tesla is apparently cheap enough to discriminate customers based on 1.6% of the total cost of the vehicle. :)

@mwdietertg is referring to the fact that if you order today the no extra cost configurations is estimated to take 4 months longer than any extra cost configuration (except for tow and FSD which don't seem to change the estimated date). I stand corrected. Tesla is apparently cheap enough to discriminate customers based on 1.6% of the total cost of the vehicle. :)
Not sure if I agree with that. You and I ordered at the same time. I have inductions yet my EDD is later than yours and we live in the same region.

Not sure if I agree with that. You and I ordered at the same time. I have inductions yet my EDD is later than yours and we live in the same region.
It did not affect EDDs back when we ordered. It appears to affect it if you order today. Will Tesla retroactively apply this discrimination factor to orders before they started discriminating based on added cost options? Who knows? It shouldn't matter to you since I think you have at least one added cost option.

Reactions: mwdietertg
It did not affect EDDs back when we ordered. It appears to affect it if you order today. Will Tesla retroactively apply this discrimination factor to orders before they started discriminating based on added cost options? Who knows? It shouldn't matter to you since I think you have at least one added cost option.
Haha well it doesn't seem to matter since it's taking forever for me too. I wake up every morning hopeful I have a VIN but am always disappointed.

Hi all. New to the team.

Spent the last couple hours reading the last 50 pages of this thread.

Aug 21st OD. Red LR5, Blk/Blk interior, 20" no FSD on hitch. Around Thanksgiving my EDD moved to 12/15-12/31 after being Feb/Mar. Last week my EDD moved back out to Feb22-Mar22. Based on this thread - it seems that many people had their EDD pulled into December. Some seem to have stuck and many others seem to have been pushed back into 2022. Does that feel about right?

Question - it seems that Red is a somewhat low volume variant?? - and, as such, might be a lower priority production run group? My EDD being pushed into so far out seems to support this observation.

they build in batches.
partly due to PAINT SHOP constraints - not as easy at Fremont to change over.
partly due to supplier issues.
but mostly due to efficiency - do same cars all at once. white/black/19/no opt is generic, most popular, and VIN is easily re-assigned.
They always tend to do these EoQ.

• Informative
Reactions: leaftoy
Hi all. New to the team.

Spent the last couple hours reading the last 50 pages of this thread.

Aug 21st OD. Red LR5, Blk/Blk interior, 20" no FSD on hitch. Around Thanksgiving my EDD moved to 12/15-12/31 after being Feb/Mar. Last week my EDD moved back out to Feb22-Mar22. Based on this thread - it seems that many people had their EDD pulled into December. Some seem to have stuck and many others seem to have been pushed back into 2022. Does that feel about right?

Question - it seems that Red is a somewhat low volume variant?? - and, as such, might be a lower priority production run group? My EDD being pushed into so far out seems to support this observation.
In addition, expect Fremont to have a short shutdown for a production line re-config.
New MY build version starts soon.

Reactions: Naija King
How else can you explain the 4 month EDD delay on MY LR when ordering base vs literally any add-on.
There is no explaining any of this....none of it makes sense. I have several "options", and I am sitting at 4 months exactly (I think).
1639801881497.gif

I took a look at the Google sheet yesterday and it appears based on the record there, only me and one other in OH and both ordered in August have not received a vehicle yet, there is even someone early September who got a delivery weeks ago, throwback to when the Tesla showroom rep told me we delivered more than 100 cars that month, I know not all of them are Model Y, but come on

Demand is basically the only logical solution... if you dont believe that tesla gives other trims prio. Im not saying i dont think that, im just playing the devils advocate here
Demand doesn't explain it (to me at least). If there is plenty of white/MSM paint and Gemini wheels to satisfy demand, at least mathematically it is not difficult to come up with a production schedule that produces each config roughly in the proportion it is ordered. If there is some material/parts shortage, then it doesn't explain the same paint or the same wheels aren't in short supply in other configurations.

Reactions: DrGriz