Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what waiting will do, I put down every EDD change and when it happened to try to "predict" the next change based on a pattern (cause of course Tesla algorithm follows a pattern lol)
If the range patterns of updates follows suite, I am predicting an update either 12/20 or 12/27
Interesting enough that 3 EDD periods ended in Dec 31, one can only hope, they will push something by 12/31
Also, I am already inside 6 EDD ranges already
Sorry guys, I am tired of App refreshes haha

1639701600306.png

Reactions: voxel and DrGriz
This is what waiting will do, I put down every EDD change and when it happened to try to "predict" the next change based on a pattern (cause of course Tesla algorithm follows a pattern lol)
If the range patterns of updates follows suite, I am predicting an update either 12/20 or 12/27
Interesting enough that 3 EDD periods ended in Dec 31, one can only hope, they will push something by 12/31
Also, I am already inside 6 EDD ranges already
Sorry guys, I am tired of App refreshes haha

View attachment 745122
I seem to see a preponderance of Monday updates, too. But I have this idea that the real clincher, what really turns an EDD into the real thing, is when they have a full truck headed to a given city.

I seem to see a preponderance of Monday updates, too. But I have this idea that the real clincher, what really turns an EDD into the real thing, is when they have a full truck headed to a given city.
My question is, do they assign a VIN when it comes off the line or when its on the truck going to your DC? Or at your DC? Not sure if there is a definitive answer

Reactions: eric.freeman
My question is, do they assign a VIN when it comes off the line or when its on the truck going to your DC? Or at your DC? Not sure if there is a definitive answer
Pretty sure it is before your car is at the DC. Maybe before it is loaded onto the truck, which would explain why some people's VINs appear and then disappear. Sometimes they build it, then reassign it depending on logistics.

Totally a guess, of course, but there has to be something that determines these things, and there seems to be always a possibility for last minute changes. I think shipping has to be a big cost, and availability of a truck is probably just in time.

Seems to vary. Wife and I ordered 9/3 with original EDD January 2022 jumped a couple times around end of December then to Jan-Feb and has settled on Dec 15-23 since we got VIN on 9/3. This morning it moved slightly to 12/16-12/23. Surprisingly just as I was typing this, I got a text saying it is our turn to schedule delivery. So exciting!!

Honestly, I think waiting these last 2 weeks once I got a VIN was harder as it does seem to vary. I have read people who got a VIN assignment and the next day contacted for delivery. When I talked with SA after getting a VIN assignment, he told us there was not any way to know if it was pre-production, in production, or post-production. The only thing he told me was the email to schedule delivery is automated once they put it on a truck/train. Our VIN was 341xxx for anyone trying to track that.

Seems to vary. Wife and I ordered 9/3 with original EDD January 2022 jumped a couple times around end of December then to Jan-Feb and has settled on Dec 15-23 since we got VIN on 9/3. This morning it moved slightly to 12/16-12/23. Surprisingly just as I was typing this, I got a text saying it is our turn to schedule delivery. So exciting!!

Honestly, I think waiting these last 2 weeks once I got a VIN was harder as it does seem to vary. I have read people who got a VIN assignment and the next day contacted for delivery. When I talked with SA after getting a VIN assignment, he told us there was not any way to know if it was pre-production, in production, or post-production. The only thing he told me was the email to schedule delivery is automated once they put it on a truck/train. Our VIN was 341xxx for anyone trying to track that.
Dang I feel like August orders are never going to get theirs 😢

Any change to your VIN on the website or app?
No change on app or website.

Funny story though. Guy who called set delivery up...on boxing day... and said that any time later isn't allowed, 3 day window and all. Then my Virtual SA emailed to ask If I wanted delivery the day after boxing since he wasn't sure anyone worked on boxing day.

I can confidently say that Tesla is likely an organization in so much flux and with such a lack of coordination/focus on the peripherals of car manufacturing that they're not really any better than asking the highschool kid at home Depot how to rewire an electrical breaker box.

And a quote comes to mind related to the few service agents that have more access to production details and schedules.

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"

Holy crap, I hope you aren't financing since that would give me so much anxiety not being able to start any loan paperwork without any VIN while all the while your delivery date creeps ever closer.
No lol. Agreed. Intense.

I'm contemplating bringing a couple Duffles full of 5 dollar bills and making the bast*rds count it all out. Least I could do for tesla after they jerked me/us all around since August.

They assigned a hard vin to my account before the car went into production. It caused an error on my account that they hoped would rectify itself after the vehicle finished production and then hoped it would rectify itsf when it was scanned for shipping. It didn't fix it. But it suggests that soft vin before/during or after production.
Hard vin strictly after.

Very positive note though, manufacturing no more than 48hrs. And man they had the vehicle on the truck and moving in 6 hours flat. Transport 7 days Cali to Toronto.

Reactions: seeb and samori01
Dumb question - What is hard VIN and Soft VIN? How can we find out?
Basically when they get close to you on the list they assign a Vin that they think will line up with the timeframe the expect to deliver to you. Sort of a rough guess. But as they get closer they will learn maybe a few more people are ahead of you (or based on your location or who knows what specifics) they will start to be able to confidently determine the vin you will actually get. At which time they assign it as a hard vin.
Obviously many factors can throw off their plans or estimates.

Only sure way I know to determine if it's soft or hard vin, is an agent telling you which field on your account holds the vin.

Possibly when you find the vin in webpage source code, before it's in the app, it's a soft vin. But that is a guess based on reading from other posters experience with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgcoco
Basically when they get close to you on the list they assign a Vin that they think will line up with the timeframe the expect to deliver to you. Sort of a rough guess. But as they get closer they will learn maybe a few more people are ahead of you (or based on your location or who knows what specifics) they will start to be able to confidently determine the vin you will actually get. At which time they assign it as a hard vin.
Obviously many factors can throw off their plans or estimates.

Only sure way I know to determine if it's soft or hard vin, is an agent telling you which field on your account holds the vin.

Possibly when you find the vin in webpage source code, before it's in the app, it's a soft vin. But that is a guess based on reading from other posters experience with it.
Thanks...that explains. Hopefully we all get a hard Vin soon.

Thanks...that explains. Hopefully we all get a hard Vin soon.
I hope so too. But there are wierd situation s when posters note a hard or soft vin assignment, but within a day or a few, they get a call for delivery. These are believed to be cars someone else rejected turned down due to pickup timing issues.

Ultimately I hope all of August ODs get their cars soon....if they want it now of course.

I tried to catch up on the thread since I last read and it’s quite intense. Sorry for folks who are still waiting. I sincerely hope you get you car soon. After a week of delivery I finally can use my car. I decided to get track PPF and ceramic tint so had to wait again. Waiting for this was hard too. After you get the car you’ll probably forget the frustration. Just hang in there. I strongly recommend get PPF. The preinstalled one is kinda yellow and obvious. The one I had installed is quite invisible and covers front, mirrors, and most lower area. Hoping for the best for everyone to get theirs very soon.

I tried to catch up on the thread since I last read and it’s quite intense. Sorry for folks who are still waiting. I sincerely hope you get you car soon. After a week of delivery I finally can use my car. I decided to get track PPF and ceramic tint so had to wait again. Waiting for this was hard too. After you get the car you’ll probably forget the frustration. Just hang in there. I strongly recommend get PPF. The preinstalled one is kinda yellow and obvious. The one I had installed is quite invisible and covers front, mirrors, and most lower area. Hoping for the best for everyone to get theirs very soon.
what is PPF?