Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August/September VIN Notifications And Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are anyone of you ordering new X's now, are you not aware of battery day next month?....orders should be put off or cancelled.
Ordered in June when NBD hadn't been given a date. Plus I could wait until end of Sept for my X but only to be told that the tech won't be available until late 2021, which is useless as I need my car this year. If I miss out so be it, at least I'll still have a damn nice model X.

Ordered in June when NBD hadn't been given a date. Plus I could wait until end of Sept for my X but only to be told that the tech won't be available until late 2021, which is useless as I need my car this year. If I miss out so be it, at least I'll still have a damn nice model X.
Exactly. Just because new battery technology is announced doesn't mean it's integrated into vehicles right away. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that any sort of new battery advancements in Tesla's announced at battery day isn't actually integrated until at least 6 months out..at a minimum

Why are anyone of you ordering new X's now, are you not aware of battery day next month?....orders should be put off or cancelled.

What gets announced at an investor day is usually future looking things. Not something that would impact any product immediately.

Even then, I would expect whatever does get announced to apply to future products and volume products. I don’t think it’d have any immediate effect on the boutique vehicles like S & X.

No reason to delay a purchase IMO. We’ll see what happens come September, but if I were a betting man, I’d say the only thing waiting on a purchase now would do is ... delay delivery.

I get the sense that the hysteria around Battery Day has spun far out of control. We’re at the peak of the hype curve for it, and no matter WHAT they announce, there’s going to be a pile of angry disappointment posts about 10 minutes after it concludes.

What gets announced at an investor day is usually future looking things. Not something that would impact any product immediately.

Even then, I would expect whatever does get announced to apply to future products and volume products. I don’t think it’d have any immediate effect on the boutique vehicles like S & X.

No reason to delay a purchase IMO. We’ll see what happens come September, but if I were a betting man, I’d say the only thing waiting on a purchase now would do is ... delay delivery.

I get the sense that the hysteria around Battery Day has spun far out of control. We’re at the peak of the hype curve for it, and no matter WHAT they announce, there’s going to be a pile of angry disappointment posts about 10 minutes after it concludes.

I strongly disagree on the first two points. I think you are confusing battery day with a new product unveiling, when in fact battery technology is applicable to all existing Tesla vehicles. That means battery day is extremely likely to impart the now-famous Osborne effect if the advantages are not immediately available. The many delays clearly speak to Tesla being painfully aware of this - if the point was to brag about future advancements, they would have dropped the information as soon as the presentation material was done. IMO they are clearly waiting for most of the production lines to be in place.

If I were a betting man I'd wager that exactly the low-volume S+X would see the technology implemented first. I actually find it quite plausible that these are already being built with the upgraded batteries at this time. Later 3+Y as production capacity matures fully - but not likely later than battery day. So I wouldn't personally delay a purchase of the former two, but definately wouldn't order the latter now.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
I strongly disagree on the first two points. I think you are confusing battery day with a new product unveiling, when in fact battery technology is applicable to all existing Tesla vehicles. That means battery day is extremely likely to impart the now-famous Osborne effect if the advantages are not immediately available. The many delays clearly speak to Tesla being painfully aware of this - if the point was to brag about future advancements, they would have dropped the information as soon as the presentation material was done. IMO they are clearly waiting for most of the production lines to be in place.

If I were a betting man I'd wager that exactly the low-volume S+X would see the technology implemented first. I actually find it quite plausible that these are already being built with the upgraded batteries at this time. Later 3+Y as production capacity matures fully - but not likely later than battery day. So I wouldn't personally delay a purchase of the former two, but definately wouldn't order the latter now.
I guess we will find out soon, I just received my Model X LR+ VIN yesterday afternoon and the odometer reading was 15 miles. Would be pretty awesome if my car had the new technology. If it didn't, I'm still getting exactly what I paid for that has been in high demand the last 2 years (a Tesla vehicle).

The signs point to the exact opposite, IMO. Why roll out a “G” and “H” battery rev if you’re going to immediately rip & replace the entire pack?

Whatever gets announced - I think - will be much generic than a product announcement. It’ll be a direction, a technology but I don’t think it’ll correlate with any product update currently.

Just IMO - would love to be wrong ....

The signs point to the exact opposite, IMO. Why roll out a “G” and “H” battery rev if you’re going to immediately rip & replace the entire pack?

Whatever gets announced - I think - will be much generic than a product announcement. It’ll be a direction, a technology but I don’t think it’ll correlate with any product update currently.

Just IMO - would love to be wrong ....

Depends upon how you look at it. Revisions can be something as trivial as "thicker wires", or it could be a fundamental change in cell manufacturing process - ultimately even the fabled "million-mile battery".

The new revisions came around june AFAIK, and with the acquisitions of Maxwell and Hibar coming up on a year now, its entirely plausible that the tech could be surfacing in production vehicles by now.

Like I said, if battery day is to be about something coming in the far future, delaying it would be completely pointless. Especially when it allegedly will "blow your mind" like Elon tweeted all the way back in january.

We'll see soon enough..

Is anyone more interested in the rumors about a refreshed design for the X which could happen on battery day? I am guessing any battery technology that could be implemented in the near future is likely incremental and not transformative for at least a few years. A refreshed interior/exterior could be more immediate if rumors have any truth to them?

• Love
Is anyone more interested in the rumors about a refreshed design for the X which could happen on battery day? I am guessing any battery technology that could be implemented in the near future is likely incremental and not transformative for at least a few years. A refreshed interior/exterior could be more immediate if rumors have any truth to them?
Not really. I ordered the Model X because I like the current Model X.

I know its kind off already been said above but I have also said before that they where ready to announce the news "It will blow our minds" Months and months ago.

So if they had the information ready to be released months ago then the delay has just given them more time to develop and implement. Once again it's just IMO!

I for one have a Model X LR on order with a delivery date around end of September, I am not collecting it until post September 23rd 2020. If there is any upgrades coming within the next 6 months I plan to cancel. I don't need a car right now and can wait, if its nothing for 6 months I'll take the car as I only keep any cars about 2 - 3 years and upgrade later. (Depending on the changes) or not!

Now what I am really hoping is: Tesla are not stupid and again (yawn) the Osbourne effect is a real thing, Why release a load of cars world wide if there was a "new version" ready "soon" Surly they know a lot of people will cancel that are collecting post 23rd September.

Why not make the September deliveries - 3rd quarter batch of cars the "New spec" It makes sense to me that out of any time to release them, that they are strait on the back of the announcement. September in the UK is the month when the number plates change to the new format and is seen in the UK to be the latest and newest cars on the road.

This would be an amazing event and mass press chaos if they end the announcement with an Apple type ending!

Elon smiles / grins (That smile / grin) and says..

"So when are we releasing the new cars with this technology.... I can confirm"

"All deliveries of Model X and Model S after this event will have the upgrades already fitted":

-----------------------------------------

Oh I can but dream!

I can't wait, no I mean I can wait. Or I can cancel, or not. I will order again, nope ill keep it!

Last edited:
I know its kind off already been said above but I have also said before that they where ready to announce the news "It will blow our minds" Months and months ago.

So if they had the information ready to be released months ago then the delay has just given them more time to develop and implement. Once again it's just IMO!

I for one have a Model X LR on order with a delivery date around end of September, I am not collecting it until post September 23rd 2020. If there is any upgrades coming within the next 6 months I plan to cancel. I don't need a car right now and can wait, if its nothing for 6 months I'll take the car as I only keep any cars about 2 - 3 years and upgrade later. (Depending on the changes) or not!

Now what I am really hoping is: Tesla are not stupid and again (yawn) the Osbourne effect is a real thing, Why release a load of cars world wide if there was a "new version" ready "soon" Surly they know a lot of people will cancel that are collecting post 23rd September.

Why not make the September deliveries - 3rd quarter batch of cars the "New spec" It makes sense to me that out of any time to release them, that they are strait on the back of the announcement. September in the UK is the month when the number plates change to the new format and is seen in the UK to be the latest and newest cars on the road.

This would be an amazing event and mass press chaos if they end the announcement with an Apple type ending!

Elon smiles / grins (That smile / grin) and says..

"So when are we releasing the new cars with this technology.... I can confirm"

"All deliveries of Model X and Model S after this event will have the upgrades already fitted":

-----------------------------------------

Oh I can but dream!

I can't wait, no I mean I can wait. Or I can cancel, or not. I will order again, nope ill keep it!
I could also see current vehicles being manufactured with the new technology and then Tesla enables the range increase with a software/firmware push after battery day so that there's a real-world application for people to see and write about. Elon loves to make news. Could definitely see that.