Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aussie queues this long weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see people selling their ICE because they had to queue for fuel. I didn't mention before, but trying to find the chargers at BP Ballina travel centre, there was a queue off the highway offramp to get in, then got stuck in a queue for fuel going around the back entrance.

If every travel centre along the Pacific Highway had 4 reliable chargers > 150 kW, that would satisfy even quite a lot of future demand.

4 x 150+ kW chargers would have similar throughput as 8 x Tesla Gen 2 which only get 65 kW when sharing, but depends on what's charging since the second most popular EV, the Atto 3 only does 88 kW.

The third party and government subsidised chargers are woefully inadequate for the current and predicted EV-uptake… That only leaves governments, who, as usual, will hopelessly underdeliver unless it's a clear vote winner.

NSW is spending 10x any other state on EV infrastructure. Minimum site size for a grant is 4 stalls (capable of charging 4 cars simultaneously), and minimum size for fast-track sites is 8 stalls. Round 1 grants announced last year were for 518 DCFC stalls across 86 sites - with 4 x 15 stall sites, 5 x 12 stall sites, and 4 x 10 stall sites. I think the programme here recognises very well what is required. They just need to get built and hopefully we’ll see a rush of completions in the next 3 months.

We don’t know yet the Round 2 grant results.

I think Tesla drivers generally just follow the car nav and charge where Tesla tell them to. I don't blame them. Optimising trying to find empty 3rd party chargers can be stressful.

On one hand third party networks just don't have enough stalls (especially when 1/2 are working, or in case of Chargefox Port Macquarie 0/2) to handle Tesla directing business towards them. On the other hand, third party networks add important locations such as Taree.
At least those with Android Automotive cars (like Volvo and Polestar) can use Google Maps in the car to plan a trip, it'll add charging stops accordingly and precondition for DC charging - including for Tesla Superchargers (correctly showing as CCS2 plugs instead of Tesla plugs, which the open superchargers seem to do)

One thing that would be useful is Tesla publishing real time data for third party platforms like Google Maps (and PlugShare and Apple Maps), so if you're in a Non-Tesla, you can see how many stalls are available (even if you can't see the approx wait time).

And of course if you can see that a nearby Chargefox DCFC or Evie DCFC is 'empty' without needing to jump between Google Maps in the car and the Tesla app on your phone

Reactions: Hairyman
NSW is spending 10x any other state on EV infrastructure. Minimum site size for a grant is 4 stalls (capable of charging 4 cars simultaneously), and minimum size for fast-track sites is 8 stalls. Round 1 grants announced last year were for 518 DCFC stalls across 86 sites - with 4 x 15 stall sites, 5 x 12 stall sites, and 4 x 10 stall sites. I think the programme here recognises very well what is required. They just need to get built and hopefully we’ll see a rush of completions in the next 3 months.

We don’t know yet the Round 2 grant results.
It's also great seeing Tesla able to whip up a new supercharger site within a month with some of that government funding - eg Calliope up in Queensland Supercharger - Calliope, Qld

I don't see people selling their ICE because they had to queue for fuel. I didn't mention before, but trying to find the chargers at BP Ballina travel centre, there was a queue off the highway offramp to get in, then got stuck in a queue for fuel going around the back entrance.
Last Xmas in our Pathfinder we waited for 18minutes to get to the pump at BP Ballina

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Last Xmas in our Pathfinder we waited for 18minutes to get to the pump at BP Ballina
We get morons leaving their car with trailers occupying 2 ICE fuel bowsers while they go inside and order dinner. I heard one guy complain about having to line up and wait to use the pump, and then he leaves his car there aswell citing that "its only fair if the person before me did it i can do it also". Is it just me or are some people getting more selfish?

Go to where the crowds aren't. It is almost always a better experience. 👍
Unfortunately when you have to visit your wife's parents in Qld twice a year for Xmas and a birthday that co-incides with the October Long Weekend, I'm kind of stuck with the crowds.... We might try travelling overnight, leaving Sydney at about 5 or 6 pm next time. The other option is doing it in two days, with a stop in Coffs so that takes pressure off having to charge immediately - could just nick back down later in the evening to charge up for the following day.

Unfortunately when you have to visit your wife's parents in Qld twice a year for Xmas and a birthday that coincides with the October Long Weekend, I'm kind of stuck with the crowds
Have you considered using the New England Highway via the new toll free dual carriage Hunter expressway?

SC at Hollydene, Tamworth, Tenterfield
Yurika 75kW at Stanthorpe
NRMA at Scone, Tamworth , Armidale , Glen Innes, Tenterfield

Or do the 737 and rent a Tesla when you get there?

This is what i would do if it was a holiday weekend etc, book it in advance. takes me longer to drive to the airport and get a park (or uber) than the flight to melbourne let alone drive there :)
Im guessing rental teslas go heaps fast and can probably do some minor off-roading too :)

Reactions: paulp and B3AU
This is what i would do if it was a holiday weekend etc, book it in advance. takes me longer to drive to the airport and get a park (or uber) than the flight to melbourne let alone drive there :)
Im guessing rental teslas go heaps fast and can probably do some minor off-roading too :)
I often use the opportunity for some nostalgia by renting one of those cars with an old style power unit with lots of moving parts and small exposions several time per second and the thing does not slow down when you lift the foot of the accelerator. Its soul, aparently.

Reactions: B3AU and dronus
Have you considered using the New England Highway via the new toll free dual carriage Hunter expressway?

SC at Hollydene, Tamworth, Tenterfield
Yurika 75kW at Stanthorpe
NRMA at Scone, Tamworth , Armidale , Glen Innes, Tenterfield

Never considered the New England. The extra 90 mins on the road kills that for me, though might be an option with an overnight.

The plane and hire option is usually outside our budget, especially with the current ridiculous state of airfares. And car hire for a week to 10 days can be expensive.

I imagine the time spent using the New England Highway will be greater than the possible waiting time at superchargers on the Pacific Highway. And you can always drive at slightly different hours, or break your trip with a motel stay (i.e. one with charging - or at the very least, one where you can visit an otherwise busy supercharger late at night), and spend way less than an airfare.

Reactions: Chuq and 0xZoom
I wonder if there is much queuing this weekend when lots of people are returning home (at least in NSW)?
Looking in the app right now, Heatherbrae has a 5 minute queue, Port Macquarie has a 10 minute queue, and Macquarie Centre in Sydney has a 5 minute queue.

Interestingly, inland of the coast, Hollydene has no-one charging, nor does Tamworth.