Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for 3 phase its 100% 5 pin. I am confused how ppl using it with single phase.
The single phase, 5 pin 32A plug only has one positive phase wire connected, and so does the socket. This allows you to use the larger conductor pins and secure ip rated screw connector.
Always pays to use a licensed electrician as the rules in regards to maximum amperage on single phase residential circuits varies.
Ie in QLD i think it is still 20A

Reactions: sammody
Reactions: Mes1 and dronus
Can definitely install a 5 pin for single phase.

Yup that’s the one. You’ll need the tail, you can get it from somewhere like here Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector Adaptor - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors
aight so Im looking at $1200 in this instance, $200 for the tail which I order myself, and $1000 sparky charge (includes labour and the 32amp wall switch)

Is he charging too much or its about right? need approx 20m of cable run for my place

EDIT -

He also said it uses 1 phase so if it only uses single phase then he won't need to run 3 phase cable which will reduce the costs

So would this mean I can just use 1 phase of the socket even tho my house is 3 phase? Thus running thinner mm cable which would reduce cost?

cheers

Last edited:
aight so Im looking at $1200 in this instance, $200 for the tail which I order myself, and $1000 sparky charge (includes labour and the 32amp wall switch)

Is he charging too much or its about right? need approx 20m of cable run for my place

This is my exact setup on 3 Phase with a 5 pin connector and tail. I was charged $550 for installation parts and labor but my switchboard is directly behind this wall so I didn't need much cable to run.

IMG_20230829_191038.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mes1
This is my exact setup on 3 Phase with a 5 pin connector and tail. I was charged $550 for installation parts and labor but my switchboard is directly behind this wall so I didn't need much cable to run.

View attachment 1020743
wow that looks great! wait is that a UMC? where did you get that holder for it? mine just hangs on the hanger

Yeah probably why he quote $1000 since he has to run 20m of cable up and across the house (double storey)

but wonder if I could get away with a single phase 32A 3 pin socket? Even if my house is a 3 phase, can I just get him to install a single phase? or that wouldnt work?

wow that looks great! wait is that a UMC? where did you get that holder for it? mine just hangs on the hanger

Yeah probably why he quote $1000 since he has to run 20m of cable up and across the house (double storey)

but wonder if I could get away with a single phase 32A 3 pin socket? Even if my house is a 3 phase, can I just get him to install a single phase? or that wouldnt work?

Yeah its the old school UMC I got with my first Tesla. The holder I just ordered online, I think EBAY or Aliexpress can't remember and just fitted that myself. I would just go with the 32A 5 pin socket, it won't cost you less to go with 3 pin single phase so why would you.

Reactions: Mes1
Yeah its the old school UMC I got with my first Tesla. The holder I just ordered online, I think EBAY or Aliexpress can't remember and just fitted that myself. I would just go with the 32A 5 pin socket, it won't cost you less to go with 3 pin single phase so why would you.
thanks mate, well sparky said the single phase cable since thinner perhaps would be cheaper to run, thats I guess what I was trying to figure out

yah in sydney too cheers, thanks for the referal, yeah I'll reach out to marc and see if cheaper, get a 2nd quote

thanks mate, well sparky said the single phase cable since thinner perhaps would be cheaper to run, thats I guess what I was trying to figure out

yah in sydney too cheers, thanks for the referal, yeah I'll reach out to marc and see if cheaper, get a 2nd quote
The 5 pin three phase plug is a common plug in remote and rural areas as it’s often used to connect welders and car lifts; it was also the plug chosen for the AEVA/TOCA remote charging network, so I would recommend using that plug.
I would also price the difference between 3 phase and single phase cable as three phase May allow you to install a wall connector later should you choose.