Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tesla wall charger also has a nice integration with the tesla app, if that is of interest to anyone
Yes. That's absolutely right..Even more so if you also have powerwall, single app less clutter 👍 👍 👍 👍

But does it really matter that much as charging status can be viewed and controlled in the app even when using third party chargers?

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus and Jules22
2. These AC chargers are just glorified switches with some signaling. Unlike a mobile or laptop charger, there is no power conversion happening in these AC single phase or three phase chargers. Whatever is coming from the grid is passed over to the car with a simple signal which tells the car how much maximum to draw. That's all.
They also include protection circuitry, and some have additional features (like the Tesla one being able to be locked to specific VINs).

Reactions: dronus
Fits like a glove and looks much better than the carpet.

IMG_20240225_192829.jpg
IMG_20240225_192600.jpg
IMG_20240225_192638.jpg

Protection circuitry is the bare minimum and is the default in all these chargers. Locking to VIN's -- can't think about any real USP for that feature. And it is not part of the CCS2 charging protocol my any means:

I would be double checking any claims of earth leakage protection in high current devices like car chargers, especially cheap units. Or at least installing protection in the circuit board. Never assume anything as you might not get a second chsnce.

Reactions: Jules22
I would be double checking any claims of earth leakage protection in high current devices like car chargers, especially cheap units. Or at least installing protection in the circuit board. Never assume anything as you might not get a second chsnce.
Which is what I mentioned earlier that these chargers especially Mida/Khons and many others where tested and reverse engineered and dissected and found to be of very good quality.

One of the entertaining teardown videos by our very own kangaroo dave for your entertainment :)

Protection circuitry is the bare minimum and is the default in all these chargers. Locking to VIN's -- can't think about any real USP for that feature. And it is not part of the CCS2 charging protocol by any means:
Some have Type B residual current protection devices, some only basic overload protection. Some also trip on excess temperature, in the device, plug or both.

Yes, the VIN-locking uses Tesla's SWCAN protocol, not the standard CCS2 signalling which can't signal anything like that. I've seen it used for chargers at reserved business parking spots in an otherwise public carpark, so people don't try to use them from adjacent public spaces.

There's other value-add features, like setting time-of-day charging windows or varying output to match excess solar production.

Reactions: Jules22
Some have Type B residual current protection devices, some only basic overload protection. Some also trip on excess temperature, in the device, plug or both.

Yes, the VIN-locking uses Tesla's SWCAN protocol, not the standard CCS2 signalling which can't signal anything like that. I've seen it used for chargers at reserved business parking spots in an otherwise public carpark, so people don't try to use them from adjacent public spaces.

There's other value-add features, like setting time-of-day charging windows or varying output to match excess solar production.
All I am saying is that reliable and safe third party chargers are dime a dozen and designs are very matured.

Home chargers has no use for non-standard SWCAN for vin-locking or billing unless you are living in a mansion with multiple ev's and the relationship between owners is like below:
1708868979840.png

Or below:
1708869408252.png

😜😜😜😜😜

Other nice-to-have features are each one's choice and can also be achieved using software only solutions like chargehq or similar.

Home chargers has no use for non-standard SWCAN for vin-locking or billing unless you are living in a mansion with multiple ev's and the relationship between owners is like below:
I use VIN locking on my WC as it is outside and in theory anyone could plug into it.
I have my neighbours vin in there in case his charger breaks (cause im a nice guy)

I use VIN locking on my WC as it is outside and in theory anyone could plug into it.
I have my neighbours vin in there in case his charger breaks (cause im a nice guy)
Also, in Plugshare some people are making their WC (and parking) available for emergency charging. From what ive picked up basically you rock up, check in and send them an SMS and they enable your VIN which has appeared in the list. While I think its an honesty system there is probably security cameras and a set rate per KW/h or regulated by solar output maybe?

Good little side hustle in populated urban areas!

You can probably do the same with third party chargers, not sure.

Reactions: jeevas123
Also, in Plugshare some people are making their WC (and parking) available for emergency charging. From what ive picked up basically you rock up, check in and send them an SMS and they enable your VIN which has appeared in the list. While I think its an honesty system there is probably security cameras and a set rate per KW/h or regulated by solar output maybe?

Good little side hustle in populated urban areas!

You can probably do the same with third party chargers, not sure.
If you really intend to make it a side hustle then better to get a OCPP enabled one like occular or many others(~$1-1.5k) and onboard to a public charging platform like Exploren which makes it truly seamless.

Makes real sense if you have surplus solar which gets sold to grid for next to nothing.

Last edited:
It won't make a lot of difference as 32A 3 core cabling which gives you 7kw is equally costlier or more and harder to route than 16a 5 core cable which gives you 11kw with the added benefit that it will keep the grid balance. And you can get OEM 11kw/22kw 3-phase chargers at around ~$300-$400. So all together it makes more sense to go with 3-phase if your house is 3-phase.

But then if you are 100% mind set that you are only going to use 7kw single phase for all your life then there is no point in getting 32A 5-wire three phase cabling routed from 20m away.

Things to consider:
1. CCS2 charging is open protocol and you are not getting any magic sauce by sticking to tesla chargers except the auto charging port opening by pressing button on the charging plug.
2. These AC chargers are just glorified switches with some signaling. Unlike a mobile or laptop charger, there is no power conversion happening in these AC single phase or three phase chargers. Whatever is coming from the grid is passed over to the car with a simple signal which tells the car how much maximum to draw. That's all.
3. Most of these third party chargers are manufactured by some well reputed OEMs like Mida and are dissected and studied many times and are found to be of excellent quality.

Yes, you will miss the tesla magic charge door open button. But other then that if you just want reliable charging at affordable price you have lot of options.
Thanks jeevas appreciate it, yeah decided to hold till gather more funds and just do the wall connector from Tesla with install which comes to $1600 all up electrician said, this way it will use the 3 phase better for the house

P.S. I love the auto charge flap open close! don think I will get used to not having that little convenience haha

Reactions: meloccom
Thanks jeevas appreciate it, yeah decided to hold till gather more funds and just do the wall connector from Tesla with install which comes to $1600 all up electrician said, this way it will use the 3 phase better for the house

P.S. I love the auto charge flap open close! don think I will get used to not having that little convenience haha
Small correction: Auto flap close will work with third party chargers after unplugging the charger. And if you get the below charge port opener remote for ~$6 and paste in on your charge plug you can get the open feature too. Not that elegant as a tesla charge handle.

But yeah, a 3-phase wall charger is a very worthy investment irrespective of tesla or third-party.👍👍👍👍👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Mes1
wow looks great mate! care to share link to where you bought again? thanks

Looks like they are running low on stock and currently only have the front sill protectors, but they should restock soon enough.

Reactions: Mes1
Looks like they are running low on stock and currently only have the front sill protectors, but they should restock soon enough.

Reminds me, i have these in the box in my shed to fit...