Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read the MC will detect a voltage drop along a regular extension lead - can you use a heavy duty extension lead? Can anyone recommend one that works?
As @Vostok said, you need to pay attention to the conductor sizes rather than just nebulous descriptions like "heavy duty" that don't necessarily mean anything about the electrical rating of the cable.

I have a 1.5mm² conductor 15A 10m cable that I've used a few dozen times, and it does get noticeably warm along its length when charging at 15A for hours. You can see in this picture there's some possibly heat-related discolouration around the connection to the active pin in the plug:

PXL_20240111_005544348.jpg

Personally I would go with a thicker conductor for 15A - welding supplies stores have 15A extensions with 2.5mm² conductors, I'll be upgrading to this Unimig one:

Reactions: Vostok and james8
Elon says that a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla. There are some who suggest just leaving it on charge all the time it is in your garage. I haven't done that yet. Though I think it makes sense, I just haven't bothered yet. Maybe I should at least top it up a few nights a week? Kinda feels weird at the moment, my brain hasn't got used to this yet. It feels like going to the servo every day for 2 litres.

Gonna be really interested in seeing what everyone else does here.
I just treat it like my phone. Plug it in at night when I'm at home, start each day fresh.

I have a 1.5mm² conductor 15A 10m cable that I've used a few dozen times, and it does get noticeably warm along its length when charging at 15A for hours. You can see in this picture there's some possibly heat-related discolouration around the connection to the active pin in the plug:

Yes crimp points between the copper cable and connector lugs can create “hot spots”. They are almost always the weak spot if they are not perfectly done. Looks like this could have happened to your cable.

For 15A, going to 2.5mm conductors is very wise, even for a 10m lead.

Yes crimp points between the copper cable and connector lugs can create “hot spots”. They are almost always the weak spot if they are not perfectly done. Looks like this could have happened to your cable.

For 15A, going to 2.5mm conductors is very wise, even for a 10m lead.
I have a short 10-15a lead i made with 2.5mm conductors and used crimped ferrules on the ends to promote a larger contact area.
Havent had to use it in anger yet but will be a handy cable to keep with the umc.

Reactions: Vostok
Has anyone looked into getting Homelink working with the new Model 3? (Noting there is an old thread in here that talks about how to set it up - given the last post was 2019, things may have moved on). I'd be keen on setting one up if its still possible.

Here's the old thread for anyone interested: Making homelink work In equipped model S/X/3

I was looking into it today actually, trying to decide what to do. Homelink, or just getting something so I can operate my garage with the phone or watch. Went through so many options but decided that just keeping my remote in the car was the easiest, and cheapest, option. And to be fair does the job.

I remember when I first ordered the car the first thing I did was look at this stuff just because I thought it would be cool to be able to tap the screen and open the garage.

Homelink appears to be something that needs to be purchased from Tesla, and not even sure you can even get in Australia now? Plus maybe there is a monthly charge? It all gets a bit confusing.

However, I don’t think I have really understood it all. The better question to ask you is why? If you can convince me it makes sense I will be back googling it all again in the morning.

Reactions: DougalVizsla
I was looking into it today actually, trying to decide what to do. Homelink, or just getting something so I can operate my garage with the phone or watch. Went through so many options but decided that just keeping my remote in the car was the easiest, and cheapest, option. And to be fair does the job.

I remember when I first ordered the car the first thing I did was look at this stuff just because I thought it would be cool to be able to tap the screen and open the garage.

Homelink appears to be something that needs to be purchased from Tesla, and not even sure you can even get in Australia now? Plus maybe there is a monthly charge? It all gets a bit confusing.

However, I don’t think I have really understood it all. The better question to ask you is why? If you can convince me it makes sense I will be back googling it all again in the morning.
Sounds like a remote in the car is the simplest and cheapest solution. Remote can also be put in another car.

This isn’t so much of a Highland tips and tricks post but more of a Tesla in general post. But I know I am not alone in this being my first Tesla, so guess it fits.

But Jesus Christ there are a lot of people who hate Teslas on the road isn’t there? I have never had so many incidents of people cutting me up, tailgating and even just being aggressive and getting too close in car parks. My god it has been a revelation. I honestly believed that Tesla drivers were making it up and just being soft when they complained about abuse they got. But no, all true.

My number one tip is stay away from Utes whenever you can.

This isn’t so much of a Highland tips and tricks post but more of a Tesla in general post. But I know I am not alone in this being my first Tesla, so guess it fits.

But Jesus Christ there are a lot of people who hate Teslas on the road isn’t there? I have never had so many incidents of people cutting me up, tailgating and even just being aggressive and getting too close in car parks. My god it has been a revelation. I honestly believed that Tesla drivers were making it up and just being soft when they complained about abuse they got. But no, all true.

Yeah they feel that they have to justify whatever role they have convinced themselves they are playing in their life. It comes from a fear of a loss of control, or change. Probably a lot more up there in QLD. They might not hate teslas, but just anything they are jealous of or that threatens their ego.

I get people in 4wds tailgating me and driving like dhds when im in my calais, the trick is to just ignore them, reacting feeds their pain body, ignoring them makes them either get angrier or they move on to the next person. Try to not let if affect you.

If they damage your car, their insurance company will sort them out and so will the police when you hand over the footage.

I started that referenced thread. I no longer use homelink even though it is in my tesla and works - it is the ergonomics. I have to remove my seat belt (on a busy road so not an option) to reach forward to the screen to activate it. Auto opening does not work when you have multiple cars using the gate and two cars using the door. So I’m back to my small 2 button remote and a very tidy sunvisor clip from one of the cheap online stores. It is effective and easier to reach.

I don’t have that issue in Adelaide, but I hve noticed a lot of the ev vitreol in comments pages comes from coal loving parts of the country. I think they see it as a threat to their future.

Reactions: MacTessy and dronus
Sounds like a remote in the car is the simplest and cheapest solution. Remote can also be put in another car.

I bought one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997953761.html

and I stick the garage door remote into the door pocket with a piece of velcro tape.

The device hooks into Google Home. I don't use it to open the garage door (except when I'm on foot - and then it's very handy). Main use is when I drive off and can't remember whether I closed the door. I say: "OK Google. Is the garage door open?" and it replies "The garage door is closed".

I bought one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997953761.html

and I stick the garage door remote into the door pocket with a piece of velcro tape.

The device hooks into Google Home. I don't use it to open the garage door (except when I'm on foot - and then it's very handy). Main use is when I drive off and can't remember whether I closed the door. I say: "OK Google. Is the garage door open?" and it replies "The garage door is closed".
That is pretty cool!

Interesting, didn't really experience that when I was driving around up in Brisbane.

I was actually surprised at the number of Tesla's I saw up there, I know Canberra is overrun with them, was the first thing I noticed when I was posted down here, had heard the uptake wasn't that high in QLD, but there are definitely a lot more around Brisbane than I thought.

Interesting, didn't really experience that when I was driving around up in Brisbane.

I was actually surprised at the number of Tesla's I saw up there, I know Canberra is overrun with them, was the first thing I noticed when I was posted down here, had heard the uptake wasn't that high in QLD, but there are definitely a lot more around Brisbane than I thought.
There are a lot of Teslas about, that is right. Maybe it is just shiny red ones who get the abuse...

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
I know Canberra is overrun with them, was the first thing I noticed when I was posted down here

Funny… I was in Canberra for a few days this week and was expecting to see EV Mecca on the roads, but I saw fewer Teslas than I do in a 10 minute drive in Sydney. I did see some Teslas, a Cupra Born, and a BYD Atto, but that was about it. Maybe all the EV drivers were still on holidays? 🤣

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
Funny… I was in Canberra for a few days this week and was expecting to see EV Mecca on the roads, but I saw fewer Teslas than I do in a 10 minute drive in Sydney. I did see some Teslas, a Cupra Born, and a BYD Atto, but that was about it. Maybe all the EV drivers were still on holidays? 🤣
I was there probably a month ago and saw heaps.
But contrastingly there were also a lot of jankey 4wds with spot lights on them getting around.
Not sure what the deal is with that?