Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just reading the manual working this out but thought id ask to clarify.

Say i get home, car has plenty of charge so i dont want to charge it until scheduled charge kicks in at 11pm.
Its a hot sunny day and im parked next to my wall connector.
I got an alert saying cabin over heat protection kicked in (awesome!).
If i plug the car into the wall connector can it use mains power for that overheat protection instead of the battery so i can go back out later?

Been waiting years for a fix to the phantom braking. Tesla‘s solution was to put a warning in the manual, so I presume they have no clue on how to fix it
i was testing out TACC on todays drive, seemed to work well most of the time but a couple of times when approaching shadows on the road that were being cast by trees it slowed down pretty quickly. I keep ready to take over so nothing happened but i can see why that is dangerous.

I changed autopilot to double press. Now when i press once i get a chime and it accellerates and brakes up to the posted speed limit which is awesome. Im guessing if i double press it will use autopilot to do steering too? Or is that only if you are navigating or on dual lane roads?

Sorry foor the n00b questions, ill learn quickly (i hope!)

Just got back from a day trip down to seaford then down to glenelg, thru the city out to norwood and then back home via the centennial park.
This car is a delight to drive. Everything feels good, it is smart and surefooted, and if you need to get away from trouble there is plenty of power.
Such a relaxing atmosphere to be in.
A servo had discounted fuel and i had to smile as i drove past. Its like overcoming an addiction in a way, and starting to change the way i think about travel and its dependence on fossil fuels.
Wow. Next level.
What is discounted fuel? Havn’t been to one of those in a decade

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok and dronus
So just reading the manual working this out but thought id ask to clarify.

Say i get home, car has plenty of charge so i dont want to charge it until scheduled charge kicks in at 11pm.
Its a hot sunny day and im parked next to my wall connector.
I got an alert saying cabin over heat protection kicked in (awesome!).
If i plug the car into the wall connector can it use mains power for that overheat protection instead of the battery so i can go back out later?
Fairly sure it will use the car battery but it will recharge when it drains the pre-set percentage. When you plug in if you do not want additional charge you will need to slide the charge bar to current charge level. If you havn’t discovered climate control via the app yet…it’s worth trying out instead of getting into a hot car

Reactions: dronus
i was testing out TACC on todays drive, seemed to work well most of the time but a couple of times when approaching shadows on the road that were being cast by trees it slowed down pretty quickly. I keep ready to take over so nothing happened but i can see why that is dangerous.

I changed autopilot to double press. Now when i press once i get a chime and it accellerates and brakes up to the posted speed limit which is awesome. Im guessing if i double press it will use autopilot to do steering too? Or is that only if you are navigating or on dual lane roads?

Sorry foor the n00b questions, ill learn quickly (i hope!)
When autopilot first came out we had no instructions or manual. didn’t have a clue what it would do. but the adrenaline rush was huge in finding out…so be courageous, press buttons, and have that left foot ready!

Fairly sure it will use the car battery but it will recharge when it drains the pre-set percentage. When you plug in if you do not want additional charge you will need to slide the charge bar to current charge level. If you havn’t discovered climate control via the app yet…it’s worth trying out instead of getting into a hot car
Yeah cool, i just worked out that if scheduled charge is enabled it wont charge and the little cable in the app is blue. I had forgotten to turn scheduled charge back on so it was charging, but in the app i just pressed stop charging.
I guess its catch 22 re: using mains for standby functions like overheat and sentry.

Just saw the climate controls in the app, ill be using that before i go back out again this arvo!

Reactions: paulp
Yeah cool, i just worked out that if scheduled charge is enabled it wont charge and the little cable in the app is blue. I had forgotten to turn scheduled charge back on so it was charging, but in the app i just pressed stop charging.
I guess its catch 22 re: using mains for standby functions like overheat and sentry.

Just saw the climate controls in the app, ill be using that before i go back out again this arvo!
Overheat, sentry, and climate do not use much of your battery. If you check your remaining distance now and again in an hour you will see what I mean

Reactions: lugnuts and dronus
I like the car, but good lord I wish it still had USS sensors. Had it phantom brake twice while on TACC. Nearly got rear-ended once. In this state I can't use it. Wish Tesla added a ye olde "cruise control" ... just set the bloody speed and keep it there until _I_ cancel it.

I use TACC only on dual carriageways. After years of software updates, it mostly behaves itself. It phantom brakes much less than it used to in the first 12 months of ownership.

I would not use TACC anywhere else though. I once used it on a rural single lane road with no line markings and TACC kept having fits, braking at shadows and curves 🫤

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
Ohh i found it in the manual. looks like it does use the mains!

Screenshot 2024-02-02 125136.png

• Informative
This car is a delight to drive. Everything feels good, it is smart and surefooted, and if you need to get away from trouble there is plenty of power.

When I did a long road trip with my son in 2022, I have never felt more comfortable overtaking road trains than in a Tesla. Even when already travelling at speed, put your foot down, and bam! Sail past road trains no problems.

Reactions: AusMar and dronus
I like the car, but good lord I wish it still had USS sensors. Had it phantom brake twice while on TACC. Nearly got rear-ended once. In this state I can't use it.
It never used USS for anything to do with TACC. The ultrasonic sensors were/are for parking proximity warnings and other parking-related functions (autopark, summon and smart summon).

The prior iteration of TACC before "vision-only" used a 1D front-facing radar unit.

I use TACC all the time around the city and don't have phantom braking problems. I avoid using it where there's obstructions in the lane, though: places where people park on the left without a dividing line to the traffic, and places where there's bike riders within the marked traffic lane.

Reactions: Jules22
Ohh i found it in the manual. looks like it does use the mains!
Can't confirm if it does it for cabin overheat protection (it probably does if it's using the A/C), but it'll definitely use shore power to run the normal climate control if that's on, even if it's not currently charging. It's easy to see when you have the wall connector, because the green lights start moving on it.

It won't use that power if it's just Sentry mode running, though.

It never used USS for anything to do with TACC. The ultrasonic sensors were/are for parking proximity warnings and other parking-related functions (autopark, summon and smart summon).

The prior iteration of TACC before "vision-only" used a 1D front-facing radar unit.

I use TACC all the time around the city and don't have phantom braking problems. I avoid using it where there's obstructions in the lane, though: places where people park on the left without a dividing line to the traffic, and places where there's bike riders within the marked traffic lane.
Oh! Bad assumption on my part. What trash. The cruise on my 5 y.o. Kia Stinger has never once done the wrong thing.

What a shame we can just have plain cruise control from 20 years ago that does not turn the auto wipers on (these are also trash and love smearing city grime all over the window).

Another thing i recall from when i was driving thru the cbd the other night was that the auto high beams came on while there was traffic around.
It had mostly behaved but there was this one bit with lots of street lights it just lit everyone up. Pressing the highbeam button didnt turn it off so i had to go into the menu.
hmm.. one of the reasons I was consdering buying the S3XY Commander, just to have the ability to turn off auto high beam and auto wipers when autopilot is active.

• Helpful
Reactions: lugnuts
hmm.. one of the reasons I was consdering buying the S3XY Commander, just to have the ability to turn off auto high beam and auto wipers when autopilot is active.
i wonder if they can make it so long pressing the highbeam buttons toggles the current highbeam condition, and retain the momentary press for warning people about speed cameras letting firetrucks know it is ok to pull out so they can save kittens

• Funny
Reactions: AusMar and paulp
Picked my car up yesterday in Melbourne and had a very interesting 250 km drive home acclimatising to the future. Some features were pretty standard compared to the Peugeot 308 MY19 but some were very, very different. The strangest was that with autosteer turned on and driving on a 2 or 4 lane freeway, I could adjust the speed with the right scroll wheel above the registered limit (my speedo shows 2 km over according to GPS) but on a standard 2-lane (one each way) highway I couldn't adjust any faster than the posted speed limit.

Is that nanny interfering? Or is there a setting I can play with?
Turn on double tap autopilot to allow yourself to use either TACC or Autopilot. On smaller roads Autopilot will restrict you to the posted speed limit whilst you can exceed the speed limit whilst using TACC but you won’t have lane keeping assistance.

Reactions: Sokanaar and dronus