Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all I've only done like 70kms and eaten almost half the battery.

Why is this? As a note I've had Sentry on all day at work approx 7 hrs, and since it's hot when I've went to do errands during work i kept aircond running here n there 30mins to 60mins at a time.

I would expect normally 200kms still remaining with 50% battery left.

Just feel its been sucking battery, so any way to see what's been eating it?
Try turning off sentry, removing your card from the car, and not using the app for a day. Recording range before and after will then tell you if you have a battery issue, but I suspect it is all or some of the above. If the car does not sleep, it consumes plenty of power.

Reactions: dronus
Try turning off sentry, removing your card from the car, and not using the app for a day. Recording range before and after will then tell you if you have a battery issue, but I suspect it is all or some of the above. If the car does not sleep, it consumes plenty of power.
Im guessing during the honeymoon period soon after receiving the new car people are banging away using all the things you mentioned then as the novelty wears off it settles down :)

Reactions: paulp

Ahh yes the physical card is in my wallet in the car whist at work, didn't think this would be an issue

I'll test all that , and stop checking the Tesla app every 30mins haha

Im guessing during the honeymoon period soon after receiving the new car people are banging away using all the things you mentioned then as the novelty wears off it settles down :)
Thats what I suspect too, like when getting a brand new phone, setting up checking testing all the settings functions hah

Will give it a full charge and see how it goes after stopping all those things

Why is this? As a note I've had Sentry on all day at work approx 7 hrs, and since it's hot when I've went to do errands during work i kept aircond running here n there 30mins to 60mins at a time.
Sentry will use about 1% every three hours, and the aircon obviously depends on the weather, the temperature you've set it to and whether it's parked out in the sun or undercover in the shade. Can easily use a fair bit - check the Parked tab of the energy app.

Rather than leaving the aircon on for 30 minutes, use the app to turn it on 5 minutes before you get back to the car.

Reactions: Mes1
Has anyone else noticed that the m3h wifi doesn't like reconnecting to hidden SSIDs ?

Just an observation...
I keep the wifi off all the time and whenever I have to wait in the car for sometime I just enable the hotspot in phone and try to catchup with all the updates. At that time I have to manually connect to my hotspot after turning the wifi on even though I don't have to input the wifi password all the time.

Reactions: dronus
Sentry will use about 1% every three hours, and the aircon obviously depends on the weather, the temperature you've set it to and whether it's parked out in the sun or undercover in the shade. Can easily use a fair bit - check the Parked tab of the energy app.

Rather than leaving the aircon on for 30 minutes, use the app to turn it on 5 minutes before you get back to the car.

Thanks for that, will check the energy settings and do this from now on as the car's parked in the sun all day at work, gets to 55deg + inside

Ive also turned off the cabin overheat protection

Reactions: jeevas123
I just reached out to Tesla to ask whether I should bring in my UMC next week to get the firmware updated. Their response:

View attachment 1018418

Has anyone confirmed that they could update their UMC firmware on the new M3?
Interesting, when I tried it, my battery was at 88% and I set the max charge limit to 80% and left it connected overnight. I would have assumed that woud do the same thing as having it 100% but no dice for me.

I'll try it again once I'm charged up unless someone else does first. I don't plan on charging till next week sometime unless I happen to get great rates over the weekend.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Interesting, when I tried it, my battery was at 88% and I set the max charge limit to 80% and left it connected overnight. I would have assumed that woud do the same thing as having it 100% but no dice for me.

I'll try it again once I'm charged up unless someone else does first. I don't plan on charging till next week sometime unless I happen to get great rates over the weekend.
No worries, I'll be interested to hear how you go.

Side note, can you automate that process? IE: if kw/hr rates fall below a predefined threshold then charge the vehicle up to no more than 80%? or do you have to manually do all that?

No worries, I'll be interested to hear how you go.

Side note, can you automate that process? IE: if kw/hr rates fall below a predefined threshold then charge the vehicle up to no more than 80%? or do you have to manually do all that?
Yeah, chargeHQ can plug directly into Amber and pull current rates, you can set a maximum rate that it will never charge above, and a minimum rate where it always charges below. I've just got mine both set to 0c/kwh so I can leave it plugged in and any time the price drops below 0 it'll suck as much juice as it can till full (I'm LFP so keep my limit set to 100% usually)

So left it connected overnight, and still limited to 8A so looks like Highland cannot send the update to the UMC currently.
That is something new to me. Didn't know the UMC has firmware and it can be updated. So obvious question is how to check the current version and how to update it?

Cheers

P.S Half a question was answered while I was away. Half still actial - how to check the current version?

That is something new to me. Didn't know the UMC has firmware and it can be updated. So obvious question is how to check the current version and how to update it?

Cheers

P.S Half a question was answered while I was away. Half still actial - how to check the current version?
Not sure if you can, only way I know to check if it's updated is if it's delivering 10A/15A (provided you have 10/15A tails).

Thanks for that, will check the energy settings and do this from now on as the car's parked in the sun all day at work, gets to 55deg + inside

Ive also turned off the cabin overheat protection
I also hear that having the iPhone widget on your phone isnt good for battery as it frequently pings the car and wakes it up from sleep?