Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bloody getting annoyed at my wipers in shitty to light rain, they never come on, gotta always play with manual adjustment arghhh
While i was in Victoria last week, on the odd occasion there was a sprinkle mine worked really well, in fact i recall thinking.. one less thing to worry about...

Out of interest, did you get anything applied to your windscreen when you had the car protected? like a spray on sealant? I wonder if they affect the sensors in the windscreen?

This morning while driving to work in the dark my headlights were pushing the friendship getting a bit ambitious using the matrix thing at every opportunity. At first they didnt activate while around street lights (good) then they started a few times. On the expressway they seemed quite keen to illuminate every bit of darkness available. i turned them off after a bogan in a ute started brake checking me.
Only difference was that i cleaned the windscreen last night using bowdens glass cleaner, but not sure if that is related.

can anyone recommend a good interior cleaner to clean the seats? I'd prefer to not leave any residue or shine etc, just something to clean the dog slobber and pubes from the seats.
Im thinking even just a damp cloth would do...

can anyone recommend a good interior cleaner to clean the seats? I'd prefer to not leave any residue or shine etc, just something to clean the dog slobber and pubes from the seats.
I use synthetic chamois to dry my car and when finished wipe down the parts of the interior that are heavy touch points.
So long as you do it regularly it works well, then I throw the chamois into the washing machine so it’s clean for the next time.
For the screen I put it in clean mode, wipe it with the chamois then immediately follow with a spectacle cloth that I keep in my sunglasses case in the centre console.
Edit: For heavier grime in the interior I use Autoglym interior cleaner.

While i was in Victoria last week, on the odd occasion there was a sprinkle mine worked really well, in fact i recall thinking.. one less thing to worry about...

Out of interest, did you get anything applied to your windscreen when you had the car protected? like a spray on sealant? I wonder if they affect the sensors in the windscreen?

Hrmm good question I can ask em if they did, thinking not but you never know.

What version s/w are you on? Maybe this would have some effect as well? I'm still on 2024.2.2.1

Reactions: dronus
I wonder if they affect the sensors in the windscreen?
There are no sensors in the windscreen - that's the whole problem.

There are 3 cameras - allegedly the rain sensing is based on the video from 1 of these cameras.

The cameras are not focused on the glass, they can't "see" the glass. They presumably use NN training to identify rain in the air ahead of the camera. It has been quoted somewhere that Tesla are going to attempt to incorporate the video from other cameras in addition to assist them in rain recognition.

But they will always have the problem that there is no sensor that can detect moisture on the windscreen, and there is no camera that can physically "see" the windscreen.

There are 3 cameras - allegedly the rain sensing is based on the video from 1 of these cameras.

The cameras are not focused on the glass, they can't "see" the glass. They presumably use NN training to identify rain in the air ahead of the camera. It has been quoted somewhere that Tesla are going to attempt to incorporate the video from other cameras in addition to assist them in rain recognition.

But they will always have the problem that there is no sensor that can detect moisture on the windscreen, and there is no camera that can physically "see" the windscreen.
Ohh i thought the little sensor below the cameras had something to do with it, ill get a pic

I’ve only ever used water on a microfibre (damp) and on white and beige tesla vegan ‘leather’ seats. Has always worked well. I found wearing pants keeps the pubes off the seats too.
If you need something more heavy duty, the poorboys products from waxit are exceptional

Reactions: dronus

Taking a photo of a light misty rain with my camera does not show a whole lot.

IMG_9420.jpeg

Reactions: Mes1
Taking a photo of a light misty rain with my camera does not show a whole lot.
Yes, that's what worries me. This may actually prove to be an unsolvable problem without extra hardware.

I'm actually amazed at how well it does work, considering the level of difficulty. But detecting light misty rain with a not particularly high resolution camera, particularly when moving at speed, seems to be a challenge. This is probably why we get dry wipes - the NN is simply guessing.

Reactions: paulp