Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, the range estimate both on screen and in the Tessie app is significantly lower than my old car, and according to the Tessie average already showing 0.7% degradation.

Tessie on my old car when set to 100% would show 571km. This car shows 493km.

Anyone else with a LR able to tell me what their range shows at 100%?

Your battery has not had 0.7% degradation in a matter of days…

When I got my car in 2019, it would show 499 km range fully charged. It now shows 474 km fully charged, which implies about 1% per annum capacity loss in the battery.

The range it will show fully charged will vary depending on how efficient recent driving has been. I’ve also noticed that a lot of DC fast charging will seemingly reduce the range shown at 100% charge. Our 2 months of nothing but DC charging last year seemed to knock about 10km off the fully charged range, but it has slowly climbed back up again to what it used to be after a few months of AC charging.

Reactions: dronus
Can't stop myself from posting this when within a week, the point I made in a miniscule forum gets reiterated in a much amplified fashion by someone with resources and information at many orders of magnitude than myself :) :) :)

So I think liberal white washers can now deep dive into their own conscience and stop beating the bush. Can't be this clear and straight to the point.

Reactions: Vostok
It is an airport. Leaving your car for a week would cost just under $350 in parking fees, which for people living in any adelaide suburb would make zero sense
Ok, so according to the pub test, no-one would think of leaving their car there for days...

But like I said:
Yeah, that's an interesting social experiment.

One of the plugshare comments: "Leaving my car on charge - be back in a week" :oops:
Not everyone behaves financially rationally when someone else is paying their expense account. Especially when a Government department is paying their expense account.

If it's going to cost them $350 to park there for a week, they can park for $350, or they can park and charge for $350. No idle fees. Who cares?

Like I said, an interesting social experiment. Free charging is never a good idea without some penalty for those who choose to abuse it.

Reactions: paulp and dronus
Your battery has not had 0.7% degradation in a matter of days…

When I got my car in 2019, it would show 499 km range fully charged. It now shows 474 km fully charged, which implies about 1% per annum capacity loss in the battery.

The range it will show fully charged will vary depending on how efficient recent driving has been. I’ve also noticed that a lot of DC fast charging will seemingly reduce the range shown at 100% charge. Our 2 months of nothing but DC charging last year seemed to knock about 10km off the fully charged range, but it has slowly climbed back up again to what it used to be after a few months of AC charging.
Oh I agree, I’m not worried about the actual battery or range, more curious as to the massive discrepancy between two cars that have the same battery.

My old LR (Jan 2022 model) showed 571km at 100%.
This one shows 493km.

As mentioned the actual range available in real life appears almost identical, but I find it very odd that the calculated max range is almost 14% lower despite my driving so far being at a lower rate of consumption than my old car (152 vs 165 average).

Doesn’t really matter, just don’t understand how this can happen?

Oh I agree, I’m not worried about the actual battery or range, more curious as to the massive discrepancy between two cars that have the same battery.

My old LR (Jan 2022 model) showed 571km at 100%.
This one shows 493km.

As mentioned the actual range available in real life appears almost identical, but I find it very odd that the calculated max range is almost 14% lower despite my driving so far being at a lower rate of consumption than my old car (152 vs 165 average).

Doesn’t really matter, just don’t understand how this can happen?
Both on same software versions?

I think it will improve as time goes. suspect would be hairpin motor and new inverter algorithms still getting improved ?? We can only speculate, but still.

WLTP range for new M3H LR is 20+km more than 2023 LR. So it should be based on something. May be it's just an estimation algorithm tuning issue than anything else.

It is an airport. Leaving your car for a week would cost just under $350 in parking fees, which for people living in any adelaide suburb would make zero sense
Just park at IKEA and walk over. I wonder if the charges there have time limits?
Although that is Door Ding Central there so your car door panels would look like the surface of the moon when you got back...

Reactions: Red tree frog
The expectation at airport long-stay parking is that the car may be left for a long time, and I don't think that changes when the spot has charging. It does illustrate that if you're providing charging spots in long-stay airport parking, it'd be much better to have sixteen 3kW spots than four 12kW spots.

Reactions: Vostok and Jules22
The expectation at airport long-stay parking is that the car may be left for a long time, and I don't think that changes when the spot has charging. It does illustrate that if you're providing charging spots in long-stay airport parking, it'd be much better to have sixteen 3kW spots than four 12kW spots.
I think the free charging being referred to at Adelaide Airport is in the normal short term carpark, i think i recall seeing them last time i was there and wondered how that worked.

Absolutely agree, slower chagring but more of them in long term carparking would be perfect!!

Reactions: paulp and jeevas123
It is in the expensive short stay carpark in Adelaide

Just park at IKEA and walk over. I wonder if the charges there have time limits?
Although that is Door Ding Central there so your car door panels would look like the surface of the moon when you got back...
The ikea and bunnings carpark are checked each night and tickets issued. There is also free (I think its free but may not be) fast ev charging at ikea but it is located in the loading bays so rarely available as people use loading bays for loading

Reactions: dronus
The ikea and bunnings carpark are checked each night and tickets issued. There is also free (I think its free but may not be) fast ev charging at ikea but it is located in the loading bays so rarely available as people use loading bays for loading

IKEA Tempe in Sydney has four AC chargers which are free but you need to initiate sessions using the Chargefox App, and there are also two Evie 150 kW DCFCs serving 4 spaces, all CCS2, usual payment required. Both are heavily used. In fact looking right now, lunchtime on a Tuesday, all 8 plugs are occupied.

Both on same software versions?

I think it will improve as time goes. suspect would be hairpin motor and new inverter algorithms still getting improved ?? We can only speculate, but still.

WLTP range for new M3H LR is 20+km more than 2023 LR. So it should be based on something. May be it's just an estimation algorithm tuning issue than anything else.
Not sure if exact versions as sold the old one two weeks ago.

However I swear the “typical” line in the consumption graph is now higher than the old car.

Looks like it’s around the 152-153 mark.

If this has indeed changed then it would perfectly align with the new “maximum” range calculations.

Anyone got an LR and can post a pic for comparison?

Attachments

• IMG_2796.jpeg
    IMG_2796.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 22
Has anyone tried to connect any type of game controller to the back seat screen? I’m wanting wireless ideally but can’t seem to find good info on what works with the new model…
Haven't got a highland to try on but I've used the cheap kmart switch gaming controller with my model Y and it works. Easy enough to try out yourself and if they don't work then take them back for a refund.