Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just quickly. Are there any other charging solutions involving plugging into a portable external battery? For example, something I could plug into a wall socket anywhere in our house, charge it while we're at work etc, and then plug the Tesla into that battery when we get home to juice up the car?

Or am I just talking crazy? 😂

So if I got that then I could just unplug the drinks fridge once or twice a week when I want to charge? That would be preferable to moving the security camera and unplugging the garage door every time we want to charge.

Are there any issues or things I should be wary of when using this type of extension lead? I assume the car is smart enough to notify you or turn off the current if something is going wrong?
You may find the owner is happy for you to get another gpo installed? Should only cost a couple of hundred $$

Just quickly. Are there any other charging solutions involving plugging into a portable external battery? For example, something I could plug into a wall socket anywhere in our house, charge it while we're at work etc, and then plug the Tesla into that battery when we get home to juice up the car?

Or am I just talking crazy? 😂
not unless you have a battery that is bigger than the tesla battery, and a wall outlet to charge it from....

Reactions: BTRProducer
Hey folks. While I wait for news about my car, I've started to think about home charging.

My partner and I currently rent, which rules out installing anything. So the plan is to use the standard wall socket charging solution. We have two of these in our garage. One currently powers our garage door and security camera (on a double adaptor), while the other plug is currently powering a small drinks fridge.

What is my best solution here? The ideal solution would be to use the wall socket that has the camera and garage door on it, as that is adjacent to where the socket on the car will be. But is it advisable to charge off a power board? Or would it just mean even slower charging than otherwise?

Or am I stuffed and will have to rely on using charging stations in the local area?
Neither I'd suggest - You may want to check them out but they are likely to be your standard 10A output powerpoints. The max they will give you is 2.2 - 2.4 KWh but they are not meant to output consistently as much for longer durations or they will burn out (from what I've learnt so far). Plus even if they could produce this much consistently, you have a ~66 KWh battery, so you can do the math how long it might take you to juice it up from 50% to 80% / 100%.

So if I got that then I could just unplug the drinks fridge once or twice a week when I want to charge? That would be preferable to moving the security camera and unplugging the garage door every time we want to charge.

Are there any issues or things I should be wary of when using this type of extension lead? I assume the car is smart enough to notify you or turn off the current if something is going wrong?
For the sake of not melting something if you dont know the condition of the existing rental house wiring, perhaps just charge at a fast charger once or twice a week (like you would for fuel) or visit a Jolt charger on your way home for 7kw free.
Then sort out a proper setup at your new place.
Dont use powerboards etc.

A sparky may be able to put a 15A GPO in depending on the amount of outlets already on that circuit.
-note- I am not a sparky so could be wrong

Edit: google says I’m wrong.

Wouldn’t a 10A outlet still give you 90km over 8hrs?
Correct. A 15A outlet will require a new circuit. The difficulty of this will depend on the location of the electrical board, the cable path to the garage wall and if it has capacity. At my place the board is on the outside wall of the garage about 2m from where the charger will go.

If looking at a 15A, might as well go for a 32A - they have captive sockets, and are built to handle a high load over a longer time and your charge will be 1/3 of the time taken with a 10A or double a 15A.. You can purchase 32A plugs for the Tesla mobile connector.

Assuming your 10A socket delivers 2.2Kw, it would deliver 11Kwh in 5hrs. I believe the M3 uses around 13Kwh/100Km, so roughly 5hrs for 90Km charge.

I would definitely avoid a powerboard. If the landlord won't allow you to do anything, put the fridge, door opener and camera on a powerboard and dedicate the other GPO for the charger.

Last edited:
Correct. A 15A outlet will require a new circuit. The difficulty of this will depend on the location of the electrical board, the cable path to the garage wall and if it has capacity. If looking at a 15A, might as well go for a 32A - they have captive sockets, and are built to handle a high load over a longer time. You can purchase 32A plugs for the Tesla mobile connector.

Assuming your 10A socket delivers 2.2Kw, it would deliver 11Kwh in 5hrs. I believe the M3 uses around 13Kwh/100Km, so roughly 5hrs for 90Km charge.
I think he is in QLD and in a rental so last time i checked the max single phase load up there is 20A.
Sonething to do with all the coal burning power plants cant handle it :)

The good news, I was informed on Tuesday that my Tesla pickup is set for 10:30 Wednesday 20th March. The annoying news is that I'm getting multiple texts and email each day, to request payment - which is due 48 hours before delivery, not 7 days before. They also demand proof of the payment. I've paid half the amount already. The only "proof" I can offer is that it will be in the Tesla designated account with my name and RN. :rolleyes:

Is this the page where I can view source code to see if I have been allocated a vin number
1000002571.jpg

Hi all, just thought I would share my journey so far if others are comparing.

Ordered 9 Feb and still showing Feb-Apr in the app and account, no VIN yet
- LR
- Grey paint
- Nova wheels
- Black trim
- Adelaide delivery

Cheers

Update

App updated yesterday a few times with different dates but settled on March 29 - May 4.

Received a text and email today letting me know car is on ORCHID ACE. No VIN yet.

I'm hoping for May delivery sometime.

Reactions: ConnorMcleod
Update

App updated yesterday a few times with different dates but settled on March 29 - May 4.

Received a text and email today letting me know car is on ORCHID ACE. No VIN yet.

I'm hoping for May delivery sometime.
if you received the email with the ship, then you may already have a VIN. I have one (it's on the page source code and in the NSW registration documents) but it's not on the app.

Neither I'd suggest - You may want to check them out but they are likely to be your standard 10A output powerpoints. The max they will give you is 2.2 - 2.4 KWh but they are not meant to output consistently as much for longer durations or they will burn out (from what I've learnt so far). Plus even if they could produce this much consistently, you have a ~66 KWh battery, so you can do the math how long it might take you to juice it up from 50% to 80% / 100%.
The daily commute is only going to be around 12km each way per day, so wouldn't be looking at doing too much charging anyway.

In this instance, is it better to keep the battery topped up every night for a few hours of charging, or just do 1 or 2 bigger chargers a week?

Reactions: dronus
For the sake of not melting something if you dont know the condition of the existing rental house wiring, perhaps just charge at a fast charger once or twice a week (like you would for fuel) or visit a Jolt charger on your way home for 7kw free.
Then sort out a proper setup at your new place.
Dont use powerboards etc.
This is likely what we might end up doing. I guess the annoying aspect about this is one of our big desires with getting the car is we don't have to go to a specific place to "refuel" as it can just happen at home while we sleep. 😉