Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh damn that's disappointing. I don't get why the Tesla rep promised to lock in the 3% interest rate if it's not something the finance companies would do. I guess just I'm annoyed he promised that and when hecan't do anything about it

Damn, It's such an annoying situation to be in :( I just heard back from pepper about the extension of my approval, and they're now quoating me at 6.34% interest rate!
Update from Pepper - as I had an email from them dated 14th July that quoted my rate at 4.99%, they have agreed to honour that rate instead of the 6.29% they mentioned. I do have a delivery date and a final invoice so probably had a bit more leverage. It feels like a bit of a hollow victory, but I will take what I can get......one for the little guys.

So here is something we are up against ...

I had my EVSE (Tesla HPWC) installed today. I don't have an EV yet, but at least I have a means to pour electrons onto the driveway, but I digress.

While the job was being performed by the sparky, a neighbour happened to be walking down the street with his dog. "G'day" he says "what you up to?" (it's OK, I get on well with him). "Oh, we're putting in a charger in readiness for my new EV" I say with a big grin. He says "Oh, charging those EVs costs a lot of money". My response (with frown), "Err, no. Actually a lot cheaper that petrol, and I don't have to go to a servo. What makes you say it's expensive to charge an EV?"

... wait for it ...

He says ... "Oh, I read it on Facebook" <and so it must be the truth>

Needless to say, I tried to dispel this notion, but I fear my breath was wasted. And he will be happy driving his ICE car and filling up once a week for >$100.

What's that you say .. "You can lead a horse to water ...."
I saw one of these on Facebook….
A member of Tesla Owner Australia posted up
“Genuinely curious and hope the group can be open minded enough to answer respectfully. Admin delete if not allowed.

I drive an EV for work (not a tesla) and own an ICE car.

I don't see myself ever getting an EV, but instead waiting for hydrogen or synthetic fuel technology to become more widespread/accessible. Not because I hate EVs, but simply because the driving experience is not what I enjoy from a car (I drive an older wrx) and to me driving isn't just about getting from a to b. I just don't feel it is fair to force EVs on people who value elements of driving experience EVs can't deliver..

With that being said, I'm pretty open minded and have three questions,

1) I've seen a lot of hate towards ICE owners, why is this?

2) Is the tesla your only car?

3) Why did you decide to buy the tesla?

No hate to Tesla owners, you guys can drive and enjoy what you want ✌️

So I answered,
“What an awesome set of questions. Thanks for asking. I have been driving fast BMWs for over 35 years, including many ///Ms, modified ones and a BMW race car.
1. I have no hate towards ICE owners, just a genuine desire for them to experience the real advancement available in Teslas. I see more hate the other way to be honest.
2. No, my wife has a BMW 135i vert with all the Motorsport add-ons, and I still have the BMW E30 Racecar.
3. I drove a Model S four years ago, and was so impressed that I decided then and there that my next car would be a Tesla. That didn’t quite come off, but I finally got my Model 3 Performance two months ago.

As a car nut and petrol head, my advice is to drive a M3P on your favourite piece of winding road, experience the difference skill set used to bring out the best (especially using regenerative braking instead of trail braking) and then see if you thinks it’s just an A to B car.

Out of my wife’s 135, and the M3P, I’ll hop in the Tesla every time as it’s more fun.”

I saw one of these on Facebook….
A member of Tesla Owner Australia posted up
“Genuinely curious and hope the group can be open minded enough to answer respectfully. Admin delete if not allowed.

I drive an EV for work (not a tesla) and own an ICE car.

I don't see myself ever getting an EV, but instead waiting for hydrogen or synthetic fuel technology to become more widespread/accessible. Not because I hate EVs, but simply because the driving experience is not what I enjoy from a car (I drive an older wrx) and to me driving isn't just about getting from a to b. I just don't feel it is fair to force EVs on people who value elements of driving experience EVs can't deliver..

With that being said, I'm pretty open minded and have three questions,

1) I've seen a lot of hate towards ICE owners, why is this?

2) Is the tesla your only car?

3) Why did you decide to buy the tesla?

No hate to Tesla owners, you guys can drive and enjoy what you want ✌️

So I answered,
“What an awesome set of questions. Thanks for asking. I have been driving fast BMWs for over 35 years, including many ///Ms, modified ones and a BMW race car.
1. I have no hate towards ICE owners, just a genuine desire for them to experience the real advancement available in Teslas. I see more hate the other way to be honest.
2. No, my wife has a BMW 135i vert with all the Motorsport add-ons, and I still have the BMW E30 Racecar.
3. I drove a Model S four years ago, and was so impressed that I decided then and there that my next car would be a Tesla. That didn’t quite come off, but I finally got my Model 3 Performance two months ago.

As a car nut and petrol head, my advice is to drive a M3P on your favourite piece of winding road, experience the difference skill set used to bring out the best (especially using regenerative braking instead of trail braking) and then see if you thinks it’s just an A to B car.

Out of my wife’s 135, and the M3P, I’ll hop in the Tesla every time as it’s more fun.”
Good response,

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of 'fear of the unknown' currently. Comments like "it's unfair for force EVs on people" just seem weird to me... I'm not aware of any mandatory requirements for everyone to move to an EV immediately.

I'm also curious to understand things like "driving experience that EVs can't deliver"... other than the noise or ability to drive long distances away from civilisation?

It feels that person has driven a PHEV that wasn't particularly good and decided that every other BEV was therefore, exactly the same.

Reactions: illesornayr
Comments like "it's unfair for force EVs on people" just seem weird to me... I'm not aware of any mandatory requirements for everyone to move to an EV immediately.

I'm not on facebook, but I expect the same bots that peddle the "EVs are expensive to charge" rubbish (based on that genius post that conflated AC charging times with per-minute DC fast charging rates) also peddle "the government will forcibly remove all ICE cars from the road" FUD.

I mean, we already saw shades of that in the 2019 election campaign with "ruining the weekend" and "taking tradies' utes away" and of course all the disinformation about vaccine mandates in the last few years.
It feels that person has driven a PHEV that wasn't particularly good and decided that every other BEV was therefore, exactly the same.
For sure.

Questions for the forum ...

1. I had a HPWC Gen 3 installed today. It is wired for 3-phase. In the app (using iOS) on the status page, it only shows the voltage from L1 to N ... and not L2 to N or L3 to N. Is this normal? It seems strange to me that it will report the voltage on one phase only and not the other two.
The HPWC uses L1 to N to measure voltage drop across the unit in order to know when to trip the RCD circuit protection. L1 is measured as it can either be used in single phase or three phase operation so it is the obvious choice for measuring voltage drop. If your system is out of balance it will be reported in this section of the web page so you can have a sparky investigate. The HWPC manual explains the operations:

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.09.24 am.png

Last edited:
Reactions: New Tech Bj
Question: Does anyone know if aGen 3 Wall mount charger can be mounted outside in the open and withstand Melbourne winter rain and summer heat?
The Tesla charger is weather proof and is designed to be able to be mounted externally as well as internally. I have seen quite a few 'Destination Chargers' (these are the same charger as we buy) mounted on the outside of forward thinking businesses and hotels.
I have the sparky booked to mount my Gen 3 next week in prep for the long awaited delivery. It will be fully exposed to the Brisbane elements (different challenges to Melbourne but same concept).

Question: Does anyone know if aGen 3 Wall mount charger can be mounted outside in the open and withstand Melbourne winter rain and summer heat?
The YouTuber DirtyTesla lives in Ann Arbor in Michigan and he has a Gen2 mounted outside. Comparing the Avg temps between Melbourne and Ann Arbor are similar - except for the dead of winter of course.

• Funny
Reactions: PcS000
So i have a genuine question about premium connectivity. ( I will use this feature so I’m not kicking it to much)

How come when i can connect my phone via bluetooth that maps, Spotify (Providing you have an account), Netflix, YouTube etc work as if you pay that extra $10 a month? I mean my phone can provide that connectivity.

Good response,

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of 'fear of the unknown' currently. Comments like "it's unfair for force EVs on people" just seem weird to me... I'm not aware of any mandatory requirements for everyone to move to an EV immediately.

I'm also curious to understand things like "driving experience that EVs can't deliver"... other than the noise or ability to drive long distances away from civilisation?

Saw a Facebook ICE lover butthurt because a Brisbane hotel is offering free charging for EVs. “Where’s my free petrol?” 🤣😿

So i have a genuine question about premium connectivity. ( I will use this feature so I’m not kicking it to much)

How come when i can connect my phone via bluetooth that maps, Spotify (Providing you have an account), Netflix, YouTube etc work as if you pay that extra $10 a month? I mean my phone can provide that connectivity.
I think it's just a convenience thing - you don't have to set up a wifi hotspot on your phone each time (I'm aware there are mechanisms to automate this) as well as things like data caps which may be an issue for some people.

Reactions: Jarrodbarr