Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The HPWC has the QR code on the side of the unit for all and sundry to see and scan in order to connect to the HPWC. There is no password to access the unit.
I stand corrected. The QR code only provides the SSID. The password is only shown on the Quick Start Guide that comes with the unit in the packaging. So it looks like all is OK in this regard.

At the risk of cross posting ... I posted the following on Whirlpool just now but thought there might be people in this forum who are not on Whirlpool who might know the answer <mods ... please remove if this is not inside the rules of TMC).

Questions for the forum ...

1. I had a HPWC Gen 3 installed today. It is wired for 3-phase. In the app (using iOS) on the status page, it only shows the voltage from L1 to N ... and not L2 to N or L3 to N. Is this normal? It seems strange to me that it will report the voltage on one phase only and not the other two.

2. I have a question from a security perspective. The HPWC has the QR code on the side of the unit for all and sundry to see and scan in order to connect to the HPWC. There is no password to access the unit. There is nothing stopping an unscrupulous person from connecting to my HPWC and altering the settings, eg. max current. Is this normal? Am I missing something?
You might want to post this in a new thread or an existing charging thread, the brains trust around charging on here might not see this post as it's hard to keep up to date with the volume of posts in this thread.

Reactions: cafz
So here is something we are up against ...

I had my EVSE (Tesla HPWC) installed today. I don't have an EV yet, but at least I have a means to pour electrons onto the driveway, but I digress.

While the job was being performed by the sparky, a neighbour happened to be walking down the street with his dog. "G'day" he says "what you up to?" (it's OK, I get on well with him). "Oh, we're putting in a charger in readiness for my new EV" I say with a big grin. He says "Oh, charging those EVs costs a lot of money". My response (with frown), "Err, no. Actually a lot cheaper that petrol, and I don't have to go to a servo. What makes you say it's expensive to charge an EV?"

... wait for it ...

He says ... "Oh, I read it on Facebook" <and so it must be the truth>

Needless to say, I tried to dispel this notion, but I fear my breath was wasted. And he will be happy driving his ICE car and filling up once a week for >$100.

What's that you say .. "You can lead a horse to water ...."
Agreed. Although sometimes we are, as the cool Sicilian mobsters that we are, tend to make indirect euphemisms rather than direct speech and blame that one guy for not getting it in time.

We gotta understand not everyone has the same access to information as we do.

None of the Tesla finance companies keep the rate after 180 days. I ordered my LR in Dec and was approved at 2.99% with Macquarie. My car is coming in August too and I resigned at 4.99% as the 180- days expired in late June.
Oh damn that's disappointing. I don't get why the Tesla rep promised to lock in the 3% interest rate if it's not something the finance companies would do. I guess just I'm annoyed he promised that and when hecan't do anything about it
Like you I sign up with Pepper at the 2.99% (Late Jan). Had to get an extension after 90 days (Apr) and received a notification the interest rate was increased to 3.99%. Car is due at the end of Aug/beginning of Sep and have just had to get another extension at 4.99% :(. Am busy trying to get Pepper to confirm that my interest rate wont increase AGAIN tomorrow when the RBA meet, since they already have the invoice and I am willing to sign contract papers. They have been dragging the chain and wont commit to anything. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have been busy with getting kicked off the Tesla approved list, but the conspiracy side of my brain suspects that they are holding out until the interest rates go up and they can pass that on.
Damn, It's such an annoying situation to be in :( I just heard back from pepper about the extension of my approval, and they're now quoating me at 6.34% interest rate!

You might want to post this in a new thread or an existing charging thread, the brains trust around charging on here might not see this post as it's hard to keep up to date with the volume of posts in this thread.
Good point.

I think I have already answered my own question with regards to #2, so that seems OK. I might have jumped the gun on that one.

The answer to the first question is probably "that's the way it is". I'll do some more research online before reposting on the charging forum.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

... now if only I had an EV handy to test my new EVSE. It will probably be covered in spider webs by the time the M3 arrives ...

Reactions: New Tech Bj
What's that you say .. "You can lead a horse to water ...."
"But you can't put a straw in its mouth, and an industrial strength vacuum cleaner on the other end... and make it drink"

Oh I hear you @Zigman.

The latest ones I've heard:
"Oh we don't have enough electricity for electric cars"

"The electricity is made with fossil fuels anyway" (me pointing to the solar panels on my roof, and having figured I can charge during the day when the sun is up - enough to cover my usual weekly kms).

"Wind turbines ruin the scenery" (um...and does anyone in the Latrobe Valley like the look of power stations?)

I should prob stop here 😖

1. I had a HPWC Gen 3 installed today. It is wired for 3-phase. In the app (using iOS) on the status page, it only shows the voltage from L1 to N ... and not L2 to N or L3 to N. Is this normal? It seems strange to me that it will report the voltage on one phase only and not the other two.
Yes, that's normal.

The phases should be fairly closely balanced anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Oh damn that's disappointing. I don't get why the Tesla rep promised to lock in the 3% interest rate if it's not something the finance companies would do. I guess just I'm annoyed he promised that and when hecan't do anything about it

Damn, It's such an annoying situation to be in :( I just heard back from pepper about the extension of my approval, and they're now quoating me at 6.34% interest rate!

My 2.99 rate with macquarie is due to expire in a few days - (180 days). With car expected mid to late August. They've locked me in at that rate as long as I'm happy to start repayments before taking delivery. So there instances at least with macquarie that they're flexible

My 2.99 rate with macquarie is due to expire in a few days - (180 days). With car expected mid to late August. They've locked me in at that rate as long as I'm happy to start repayments before taking delivery. So there instances at least with macquarie that they're flexible
My understanding is that they can fund the loan the second the final invoice is in your account. They can access a Tesla portal and retrieve it. At that point a car exists that is alloted to you and you have been billed for it, everything else is just geography

Delivery dates brought forward one week
IMG_5925.jpeg