Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case, yes. I contacted my SA to enquire about custom plates being removed, and they must have taken the initiative to give me the cheapest plates possible
Can confirm - a very helpful Tesla guy just called me back, for VIC the blue/white plates are given to those who say they want to add their own custom plates after delivery. If the invoice says "STANDARD" and a $190 fee, the slimline plates are still the ones they get.

Reactions: moa999 and Pierce11
Well another week down and another disappointment. I really thought something more was going to happen last week. I didn't follow the forum closely but I think I saw a few VINs for Adelaide, a few more for Perth and a few more for Melbourne, although Tesla did some Vindian giving so potentially those other Melbourne VINs were false.

From my own perspective, I still don't think Canberra has received a single M3 VIN or delivery in this quarter. I tried to ask the sales team via email but they called me by the wrong name and claimed that they can't share information about other orders. I'm quite sure that confirming yes or no that any M3's have progressed in Canberra does not violate the Privacy Act but anyway, I think I know the answer regardless.

Still hanging out on the FFS Tesla or the WTF Tesla or whatever we're calling this waiting vessel. All will probably be forgiven when my car finally arrives but right now I'm feeling very disillusioned with this company.
I saw at least one CBR person post on FB. Mine is 15/2 Red black. No update yet.

Like an idiot I bought and installed a charger about 7 weeks ago. Was expecting to have my car by now and yet, still no VIN.
I'm thinking I'll wait for the VIN before going through the process since there's still a good 6 to 8 weeks before the car shows up!

How long did the process take to install the charger for you? From delivery of the unit itself and organising installation? I'm guessing it can be done in a couple of weeks pending availability etc.

I'm thinking I'll wait for the VIN before going through the process since there's still a good 6 to 8 weeks before the car shows up!

How long did the process take to install the charger for you? From delivery of the unit itself and organising installation? I'm guessing it can be done in a couple of weeks pending availability etc.
I purchased my gen 3 wall charger from the Tesla shop on a Monday, it arrived by the Thursday to inner city Melbourne.

I delayed the electrician appointment a couple of months, but when they came the install was done within a morning. My run of electrical cable (from switch box to wall charger, through the ceilings and walls) was less than 3m total. The further you need to run the wiring, the longer (and more expensive) it’s going to be.

I’m guessing with the current tradie market; the lead time for an electrician - from booking to installation - is going to vary a fair bit.

The biggest risk i think you face in getting it installed “early” is that Tesla release a gen 4 wall charger after you’ve had it installed. But there’s been no talk or rumours of any new wall charger hardware being in the works.

And of course you could go with an alternative non-Tesla wall charger

I've just ordered the Tesla wall charger, now I'm wondering whether it needs to be installed by the few electricians that Tesla recommends on their website, or can any professional electrician do it?
I’d recommend an electrician who has done Tesla Wall Connectors before. They have to know a little bit about commissioning the wall connector itself, which involves connecting to it with wifi. I’d hazard a guess some “old school” sparkie’s might get confused by the commissioning process.

In addition I found it comforting the electrician did mine has done a lot of installations before because the things they need to do to make the high current safe. For example mine could describe to me over the phone how to reorganise the limited space in my switch box so I wouldn’t have to pay a fortune for an additional box.

Yes. Any electrician is qualified for this knowledge, but I liked that he’d done enough of these to know what needed to be done with little prompting.

If finding one via google is difficult, try joining the Facebook “Tesla Model 3 & Y Australia” group. There’s a few recommendations there.

Reactions: danwale
I've just ordered the Tesla wall charger, now I'm wondering whether it needs to be installed by the few electricians that Tesla recommends on their website, or can any professional electrician do it?
Any electrician should be able to do it, it's best to ask if they are familiar with them though, they still have to know to run the right gauge wire from the switchboard for something that will be pulling a high constant current. Some installers offer to help setup the wifi connection as well so someone experienced will do that faster.