Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gday all

My M3P order is progressing super fast. Ordered Jul 4, Vin allocated, rego papers, updates on final invoice etcetc. Build is 17/03/2023. Local Tesla shop said this is the last one they had in my body colour / interiour choices in inventory. Seems theres one other in a different combo in Aus, then I'm on rumour thinking these are the last two in the performance series no matter what as rumour is project highland has seen Shanghai stop for retooling. I wasnt waiting based off speculated changes + I had a given price point I had to hit for the performance series. 11.8 sec quarter just lol ;)

Reactions: odamuz
What colour combo did you choose and what state are you in?

I ordered white with black interior from WA in early April and Nada here...
Sorry to hear mate that your so delayed

Mines Red in White/Black M3P. My state is NSW but delivery to the ACT.

I wouldve committed in June. As much as I'm a Tesla fan in terms of design and engineering competence, and especially the model 3 like wow it even has a very good stiff chassis with dual unequal length wishdbones front and 5 link rear - I mean cmon thats high end sports type chassis not some run of the mill mcpherson strut cheap economy sedan where the roll centre gets all messed up as to the struts lean

Anyway, seems Tesla struggle with the difference in a "quote" vs an "Australian tax invoice". All I wanted was in hand writing in crayon on a maccers napkin a quote with the 23-24 LCT amount taken into consideration which is also published on the ATO website. Back and forth all June got nowehere. Tesla cant and wont issue quotes only invoices bwahahahaaaa :) Tesla are kinda special bus. So had to wait until July to actually invoice when the LCT threshold was raised by the ATO. I believe Tesla had reserved the vehicle in expectation from me as they had it in inventory. Build is 17/03/2023 so it was hanging around for a little while in Australia before me.

To the best of knowledge the only other Performance model in all of Australia is one in black with white/black interiour.

We all know Tesla's are made to batches and there is no custom manufacturing. If rumours are true that Shaghai has downed Model 3 production for re-tooling, then mines the last red one in Aus, and there is one black one left. Had a missed heartbeat late in June cos Tesla wiped all of the model inventory off their books but that was an EOFY stunt the inventory didnt actually change.

Gday all

My M3P order is progressing super fast. Ordered Jul 4, Vin allocated, rego papers, updates on final invoice etcetc. Build is 17/03/2023. Local Tesla shop said this is the last one they had in my body colour / interiour choices in inventory. Seems theres one other in a different combo in Aus, then I'm on rumour thinking these are the last two in the performance series no matter what as rumour is project highland has seen Shanghai stop for retooling. I wasnt waiting based off speculated changes + I had a given price point I had to hit for the performance series. 11.8 sec quarter just lol ;)
For reference the LR with Acceleration Boost is also meant to do the quarter mile in 11.8 sec. At least this is with the 18" rims, 19" might be a touch slower.

Reactions: OzTzlaBloke
Last year, I ordered a 3LR in Dec 2022 to take advantage of the FBT Salary Sacrifice exemption. Then I walked away and forfeited the $350 order fee as I didn't feel I was ready. I remember it may have been around $82,000 and the package fortnightly out of pocket cost was $600.

In April 23 I tried again. I test drove the 3RWD three times and finally decided to order one. The salary package cost to me was $500 per fortnight and was happy. Telsa tried to offer me to test drive the 3P and I refused because I knew I would want one and it was over the luxury car limit. Along the way, I considered a BYD ATTO 3 but found out there are horrible and poorly built. I considered the Cupra Formentor VZe and was about to go on a test drive until the Telsa Advisor I have been speaking to rang me on 15 June 23 said 'just letting you know that a whole heap of 3Ps are about to drop on the website' and there are significant savings and free supercharging for 3 months if delivered before 30 June and it is under LCT. Needless to say I cancelled the Cupra appointment, test drove the 3P and ordered one a white one with black interior on 17 June for $85,784. A custom order was $91,626, so I thought a discount of $5,752 was awesome. The EDD was 20 June to 11 July. The Salary Packaging out of pocket cost was $601 per fortnight. I signed the Lease document, rego and all the information to be ready to settle.

Since I have an ICE car, I patiently waited and didn't really care when it arrived.

Come 1 July 23, I received a message saying that a $3,900 reduction has been applied across the entire range and my order was eligible. Subsequently I was issued with a new invoice for $81,986 and was over the moon. The Salary Packaging out of pocket cost was now reduced to $585 per fortnight. I had to re sign the new updated Lease document, rego and and delivery date was 13 Jul 23. We were ready to settle.

On 7 July 23, I received a message saying that Telsa Referral Program had changed and I will get a further reduction of $750 and 3 months of the advanced self driving and the referrer will get 10,000 Telsa credits. Pre 30 June policy was that each person got 1500 referral credits. As a result, the updated invoice price was now $81,132, $764 less. So I sent the updated price to the Leasing company saying we need to re-sign the Lease document, rego and all the information to be ready to settle. S

In the end, the discounted price was $10,494 compared to a custom order prior to June 23.

So my delivery date on Thursday is now looking shaky as we need to get everything ready again. Telsa said I need to settle by 19 July which will be no worries.

But well worth it and no complaints. I feel for the people who custom ordered and collected prior to June and will pay $91,626 or those who had an existing inventory purchase and collected before 30 June and paid $85,784.

Last year, I ordered a 3LR in Dec 2022 to take advantage of the FBT Salary Sacrifice exemption. Then I walked away and forfeited the $350 order fee as I didn't feel I was ready. I remember it may have been around $82,000 and the package fortnightly out of pocket cost was $600.

In April 23 I tried again. I test drove the 3RWD three times and finally decided to order one. The salary package cost to me was $500 per fortnight and was happy. Telsa tried to offer me to test drive the 3P and I refused because I knew I would want one and it was over the luxury car limit. Along the way, I considered a BYD ATTO 3 but found out there are horrible and poorly built. I considered the Cupra Formentor VZe and was about to go on a test drive until the Telsa Advisor I have been speaking to rang me on 15 June 23 said 'just letting you know that a whole heap of 3Ps are about to drop on the website' and there are significant savings and free supercharging for 3 months if delivered before 30 June and it is under LCT. Needless to say I cancelled the Cupra appointment, test drove the 3P and ordered one a white one with black interior on 17 June for $85,784. A custom order was $91,626, so I thought a discount of $5,752 was awesome. The EDD was 20 June to 11 July. The Salary Packaging out of pocket cost was $601 per fortnight. I signed the Lease document, rego and all the information to be ready to settle.

Since I have an ICE car, I patiently waited and didn't really care when it arrived.

Come 1 July 23, I received a message saying that a $3,900 reduction has been applied across the entire range and my order was eligible. Subsequently I was issued with a new invoice for $81,986 and was over the moon. The Salary Packaging out of pocket cost was now reduced to $585 per fortnight. I had to re sign the new updated Lease document, rego and and delivery date was 13 Jul 23. We were ready to settle.

On 7 July 23, I received a message saying that Telsa Referral Program had changed and I will get a further reduction of $750 and 3 months of the advanced self driving and the referrer will get 10,000 Telsa credits. Pre 30 June policy was that each person got 1500 referral credits. As a result, the updated invoice price was now $81,132, $764 less. So I sent the updated price to the Leasing company saying we need to re-sign the Lease document, rego and all the information to be ready to settle. S

In the end, the discounted price was $10,494 compared to a custom order prior to June 23.

So my delivery date on Thursday is now looking shaky as we need to get everything ready again. Telsa said I need to settle by 19 July which will be no worries.

But well worth it and no complaints. I feel for the people who custom ordered and collected prior to June and will pay $91,626 or those who had an existing inventory purchase and collected before 30 June and paid $85,784.
Can I ask what state you ordered and are taking delivery in Ed?

Last year, I ordered a 3LR in Dec 2022 to take advantage of the FBT Salary Sacrifice exemption.

Mate I was eyeing off that white one with black in tesla's Aussie inventory for awhile as a backup plan in case prices rose above the LCT barrier.

This is why I am thankful for the business practices of Tesla. Its just good ethics. If your going to discount and adjust your pricing as you determine, then its simply the only way to go to not then do over customers who have forked out and are waiting on the vehicle becoming held and used.

I have no sympathy for whiners who after the vehicle becoming held and used in their name, prices change. Thats the prerogative of any business to manage it as they see fit.

This is essentially why I pulled the trigger now on a M3P, cos I can get the red, I can get the white/black and still be under the Jul 1 LCT Threshold for 100% FBT exemption.

Odds are with Project Highland the top of the range model with factory options wont be anywhere near this vitally important LCT Threshold barrier for many Australian customers. As well, I could not care less for internal disco colour change lights, external cosmetics and the like. What I care about : Chassis stiffness, suspension type and geometry, power/torque, weight distribution, brakes etc. If there's whimsical stuff on asthetics I decide I just "have to have" on say interior bits well easy to change out if Tesla keep all the core dimensions around the same.

Since when was there a 530KLM odd stiff chassis car on outstanding suspension with unuequal length front links and a 5 link rear, with a super low COG, low polar moment, slippery body, AWD and enough torque/power to hit 261KLM with 0-100 3.3s quarter in 11.8s and best of all you can have any colour you want from the options inside and out and still be under the Jul 1 89332.

Australia's local hero still in a sedan chassis would probably be the HSV GTSR W1, and the M3P chops its in the quarter. Try comparing price.

Reality = There is no better affordable sports car in a sedan chassis you can buy in Oz thats faster or handles better for the money under LCt 89332, in the history of vehicles in Australia

Last edited:
Pickup tomorrow by the look of it. Jul 4 ordered, pickup Jul 13. Noice :)

Hmmm need to make a decision on insurance. Im with Shannons for my toy (too modified to insure elsewhere low KLM cover) and for my dailys Ive usually gone NRMA Comprehensive Plus. Bit skeptical on the $100 limit per day for hire car however. IMHO too many people a) Dont tell their insurer about mods/accessories or go agreed value b) Go for cheapest price when thats one component for sure but not the only one

Reactions: AUSEd
Pickup tomorrow by the look of it. Jul 4 ordered, pickup Jul 13. Noice :)

Hmmm need to make a decision on insurance. Im with Shannons for my toy (too modified to insure elsewhere low KLM cover) and for my dailys Ive usually gone NRMA Comprehensive Plus. Bit skeptical on the $100 limit per day for hire car however. IMHO too many people a) Dont tell their insurer about mods/accessories or go agreed value b) Go for cheapest price when thats one component for sure but not the only one
NRMA is the way to go. For me I am in Brisbane, 46, I put 5000-10000kms per annum and $1000 excess and it landed at $1370. RACQ and QBE hate EVs, Suncorp was a bit high. Some companies dont like the 3P.

That didnt take long from order to pickup. For me it was 17 June and pickup maybe between 15 June Saturday and 19 Jun Wednesday. If it wasnt for Telsa's final discount of $764 I would have collected the car today. Due to the price changes, I have accepted 3 Lease Quotes, signed 3 Lease Agreements and my employer has had to approve the Salary Package 3 times.

NRMA is the way to go. For me I am in Brisbane, 46, I put 5000-10000kms per annum and $1000 excess and it landed at $1370. RACQ and QBE hate EVs, Suncorp was a bit high. Some companies dont like the 3P.

That didnt take long from order to pickup. For me it was 17 June and pickup maybe between 15 June Saturday and 19 Jun Wednesday. If it wasnt for Telsa's final discount of $764 I would have collected the car today. Due to the price changes, I have accepted 3 Lease Quotes, signed 3 Lease Agreements and my employer has had to approve the Salary Package 3 times.
Yep Ive had comprehensive plus on other vehicles from the NRMA I like the package you get. Ended up going NRMA Comprehensive Plus. Im under 50, maximum no claim, have numerous other policies for multi policy discount etc. For my M3P which is all optioned up on red with white/black interiour I went with a $700 excess and agreed value to cover it all to the last item fair bit more than sale price plus the no claim protection. Ended up close to three grand for me but Im getting a different setup to you mate plus my annual estimated KLMs are higher so more risk. No other insurer could meet the pricing and the excess amount while still giving all that NRMA comprehensive plus gives. Shannons which I think is actually suncorp behind them not sure but anyway Shannons were the only ones with kinda the same sort of products but not all things and even still they were expensive on both excess and insurance cost.

Picked up the vehicle last night

Reactions: AUSEd
Guys how long is it taking between ordering and getting VIN for Model Y?
Check over in the Model Y waiting room thread, they'll be able to help you out.

For me I needed/wanted to be under the LCT Threshold of $89332 and my theory is there will be buckleys and none chance of a performance spec highland being under it., non-performance series yes but not performance. Plus, I'm not motivated by fancy disco light interiours or cosmetics to headlights and so forth. Im yet to see something Im interested in - like bigger output drive units or better battery banks etcetc

I just simply cant believe the amount of car you get for the price. No McPherson strut suspension with the falling of the roll centre its all proper link suspensions front and rear. Low polar moment. Low COG. Strong stiff torsional rigidity. Super safe. runs 11s quarters. Its honestly a 200K sports car in terms of spec like 16 years ago. I just cant believe how much Tesla have disrupted the car market and its just fantastic in my opinion

What I can say for sure is Tesla told me they only had red + white in inventory (which I bought), then a black colour one in the performance series in inventory and thats it across the board for Australia. They said this July 1. The rumour is Shanghai stopped to retool for Highland and there is no production there anymore of the 2023 spec its all been retooled. So maybe youll get highland anyway? Or maybe itll come from a different factory?

But exciting times for you SynnerG and congrats mate on the buy

For me I needed/wanted to be under the LCT Threshold of $89332 and my theory is there will be buckleys and none chance of a performance spec highland being under it., non-performance series yes but not performance. Plus, I'm not motivated by fancy disco light interiours or cosmetics to headlights and so forth. Im yet to see something Im interested in - like bigger output drive units or better battery banks etcetc

I just simply cant believe the amount of car you get for the price. No McPherson strut suspension with the falling of the roll centre its all proper link suspensions front and rear. Low polar moment. Low COG. Strong stiff torsional rigidity. Super safe. runs 11s quarters. Its honestly a 200K sports car in terms of spec like 16 years ago. I just cant believe how much Tesla have disrupted the car market and its just fantastic in my opinion

What I can say for sure is Tesla told me they only had red + white in inventory (which I bought), then a black colour one in the performance series in inventory and thats it across the board for Australia. They said this July 1. The rumour is Shanghai stopped to retool for Highland and there is no production there anymore of the 2023 spec its all been retooled. So maybe youll get highland anyway? Or maybe itll come from a different factory?

But exciting times for you SynnerG and congrats mate on the buy

Yeah those are mostly my thoughts as well, running an NL, so significant differences in tax between above and below LCT, am breaking lease on a BMW of equivalent value but realising a cost savings because of this.

The car I'm getting out of I bought on release day for that model, car in question was on a boat from Germany at the time and I've had no end of rattles and noises as well as a couple of problems around hardware revisions to where I feel buying first batch was a problem. Drove a more recent one in lower trim and it was dead quiet by comparison.

My concerns at the moment are of course that my order gets refunded because of said retooling, unless one sits in Shanghai in a yard waiting for my RN to go against it, as yeah I do doubt that highland will come in at the same price point. Guy at the dealership seemed to think it'd be all going ahead for sure though.