Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was aware this car was coming when I placed my Highland order. Having driven the Atto it is so philosophically different to a Tesla, and it really was not fun to drive at all. I'm sure the Seal (lol) will be nicer to drive than the Atto and the pricing is great, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I can see Tesla responding by dropping prices on the M3 again early/mid next year after us early adopters have bought the initial batches of production.
If Tesla drop their prices before your delivery date (I don't know if there is some cut off there or not?), the price of car you've ordered will drop. If they put the price up, they honour the cheaper price. Basically, they honour the cheapest price at any point, which I thought was/is very respectful.

Reactions: MBau
One thing i am interested in is the USS for the new highland. AU still gets them even though most (possibly all) other markets no longer have them. I am interested to see if that is a local requirement and we will get them or not.

Lurked around here for a while, Red M3LR highland on order (ordered first day out)
Check out the owners manual for the new car - does it show ultrasonics?

If Tesla drop their prices before your delivery date (I don't know if there is some cut off there or not?), the price of car you've ordered will drop. If they put the price up, they honour the cheaper price. Basically, they honour the cheapest price at any point, which I thought was/is very respectful.
That is good to know, cheers. At the end of the day though I am quite prepared to take delivery and then for Tesla to slash the price the next day. Given recent history nobody could feel aggrieved or surprised by that eventuality.

• Funny
Reactions: PcS000
I was aware this car was coming when I placed my Highland order. Having driven the Atto it is so philosophically different to a Tesla, and it really was not fun to drive at all. I'm sure the Seal (lol) will be nicer to drive than the Atto and the pricing is great, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I can see Tesla responding by dropping prices on the M3 again early/mid next year after us early adopters have bought the initial batches of production.
I agree. The Atto3 looked pretty good when it came out, but hasnt aged well. I took one for a short drive and didnt like it either, it lacks something i cant describe, soul maybe? :) And that rotating screen was annoying. At least they are coming to the market with a good product at a reasonable price, it will be popular with lots of people.

Correct, Tesla do follow that pattern, and it is described in Elons Biography. Just fine tuning it now so the stakes are not quite as high (for us) :)

That is good to know, cheers. At the end of the day though I am quite prepared to take delivery and then for Tesla to slash the price the next day. Given recent history nobody could feel aggrieved or surprised by that eventuality.
Unless there is an upgrade. My order invoice went up by a few grand when i had to convert my order agreement from 2023 to 2024 but i cant see that happening again any time soon :)

Unless there is an upgrade. My order invoice went up by a few grand when i had to convert my order agreement from 2023 to 2024 but i cant see that happening again any time soon :)
Yeah, with the number of LHD M3's heading to Europe at the moment, I don't think they'd be in a rush to drop the price! However, they have dropped the price before when they seemingly didn't have to do it.

Reactions: dronus
I agree. The Atto3 looked pretty good when it came out, but hasnt aged well. I took one for a short drive and didnt like it either, it lacks something i cant describe, soul maybe? :) And that rotating screen was annoying. At least they are coming to the market with a good product at a reasonable price, it will be popular with lots of people.

Correct, Tesla do follow that pattern, and it is described in Elons Biography. Just fine tuning it now so the stakes are not quite as high (for us) :)
To me it was 'over designed' if that makes sense. Lots of quirks such as the interior designed to look like the inside of a gym (why?!), with a 'muscle fibre' pattern on the dash and an annoying 'guitar' on the door bins. The rotating screen seemed like a complete gimmick. It has to be said the Seal interior looks a lot better (although the ridiculous 'Qi' logos on the wireless charging pads and the fake carbon fibre trim does make me cringe). I think it'll appeal to people who want something that feels like more of a traditional ICE car. More than happy to pay a 10% premium to get into a Tesla.

To me it was 'over designed' if that makes sense. Lots of quirks such as the interior designed to look like the inside of a gym (why?!), with a 'muscle fibre' pattern on the dash and an annoying 'guitar' on the door bins. The rotating screen seemed like a complete gimmick. It has to be said the Seal interior looks a lot better (although the ridiculous 'Qi' logos on the wireless charging pads and the fake carbon fibre trim does make me cringe). I think it'll appeal to people who want something that feels like more of a traditional ICE car. More than happy to pay a 10% premium to get into a Tesla.
Completely agree :)

Reactions: MBau
So been playing around with my hired M3 all day, getting used to everything before I head up to Brisbane tomorrow.

One thing I've definitely convinced myself of is that there is zero need for a 'head up display', in fact after an hour or so I am wishing I can rip the one out of this car.

I find I naturally look at the main screen anyhow, so I just don't look at it, and the reason I really hate this one in particular is that it blocks most of the air vents for the driver.

Can definitely cross that one off the list of potential upgrades.

This car has a couple of other interesting upgrades though, auto opening doors was not one that I even thought was an option, not sure how much I really would care about them enough to do it on mine, but it is kinda cool. Auto frunk also is cool, but again not sure how necessary.

Definitely cool to get to try all these upgrades out though.

So been playing around with my hired M3 all day, getting used to everything before I head up to Brisbane tomorrow.

One thing I've definitely convinced myself of is that there is zero need for a 'head up display', in fact after an hour or so I am wishing I can rip the one out of this car.

I find I naturally look at the main screen anyhow, so I just don't look at it, and the reason I really hate this one in particular is that it blocks most of the air vents for the driver.

Can definitely cross that one off the list of potential upgrades.

This car has a couple of other interesting upgrades though, auto opening doors was not one that I even thought was an option, not sure how much I really would care about them enough to do it on mine, but it is kinda cool. Auto frunk also is cool, but again not sure how necessary.

Definitely cool to get to try all these upgrades out though.
Any chance of a pic of the head up display?

Any chance of a pic of the head up display?
1697600902463.jpeg

Just walking away and having the door close itself is actually pretty cool, I may just get used to this, lol.

View attachment 983103

Just walking away and having the door close itself is actually pretty cool, I may just get used to this, lol.
Ha yeah that is pretty cool with the doors! I wonder if that is an aftermarket thing?
I could imagine the HUD would help alleviate peoples anxieties about not having a dash in front of them but yeah if it effects airflow id give it a miss or find a smaller one..
Dont get too used to those stalks haha.
I was watching a youtube video earlier about the highland and the guy was yammering on about not being able to use his indicator to exit a roundabout in such a way that he was making it sound like if you dont indicate to exit a roundabout you cant exit the roundabout and this insinuates you wouldnt be allowed to exit the roundabout and be on it forever... very weird rhetoric.. I indicate at the roundabout and generally if you are paying attention can tell what people are doing. In Adelaide, it can go either way, some people just drive around with their indicators on all the time or dont indicate at all.. haha

Ha yeah that is pretty cool with the doors! I wonder if that is an aftermarket thing?
I could imagine the HUD would help alleviate peoples anxieties about not having a dash in front of them but yeah if it effects airflow id give it a miss or find a smaller one..
Dont get too used to those stalks haha.
I was watching a youtube video earlier about the highland and the guy was yammering on about not being able to use his indicator to exit a roundabout in such a way that he was making it sound like if you dont indicate to exit a roundabout you cant exit the roundabout and this insinuates you wouldnt be allowed to exit the roundabout and be on it forever... very weird rhetoric.. I indicate at the roundabout and generally if you are paying attention can tell what people are doing. In Adelaide, it can go either way, some people just drive around with their indicators on all the time or dont indicate at all.. haha
Yeah, definitely after market.

I thought I might struggle to get used to not having the speed etc in front of me, my current car has a proper HUD (ie projected on the windscreen) so I was surprised how much I have not found this one useful.

Hehe, I've actually been trying to get used to touching where the buttons will be whenever I use indicators, I really don't think it's going to be an issue. I do keep trying to reach down to my left whenever I change into R or D though, lol.

Yeah, definitely after market.

I thought I might struggle to get used to not having the speed etc in front of me, my current car has a proper HUD (ie projected on the windscreen) so I was surprised how much I have not found this one useful.

Hehe, I've actually been trying to get used to touching where the buttons will be whenever I use indicators, I really don't think it's going to be an issue. I do keep trying to reach down to my left whenever I change into R or D though, lol.
I had a T30 Nissan x trail many years ago and its dials etc were in the middle of the dash, wasn't a problem.
I occasionally drive a Mercedes and its stalks are the wrong way around, at least once every trip ill bang it into neutral when going around a corner accidentally.
If i recall correctly the model 3 i test drove had some fancy thing which either made a chime or didnt allow you to exceed the speed limit by a certain amount so i guess that would be useful but maybe not in places in sydney where you just drive the speed everyone else is doing.. dunno.
Have a good trip, if you see cocoboy as you go past sydney do the fart noise thing! haha

Don't forget us back here in the waiting room! Send us a pic of your new ride and tell us about your delivery experience when you get time!
I picked up my M3LR on the 30th of September. I can honestly say that I am super impressed with the car and I cant believe how relaxed I am when I drive anywhere now. The car definitely has a calming influence (even if the world is a blur outside - from 0 to 60 at least..........).

Grabbed this shot on the first night after picking the car up from Alexandria - was one of the last pick ups for Q3 out of Sydney, Alexandria. They said they delivered 150 cars out on the 30th of September to close out the quarter.

Still watching this forum waiting to see when the Highland will drop........

Attachments

• The Teslanator.jpg
    The Teslanator.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 32
I picked up my M3LR on the 30th of September. I can honestly say that I am super impressed with the car and I cant believe how relaxed I am when I drive anywhere now. The car definitely has a calming influence (even if the world is a blur outside - from 0 to 60 at least..........).

Grabbed this shot on the first night after picking the car up from Alexandria - was one of the last pick ups for Q3 out of Sydney, Alexandria. They said they delivered 150 cars out on the 30th of September to close out the quarter.

Still watching this forum waiting to see when the Highland will drop........
That colour is awesome and what an awesome car, congratulations!!

Reactions: Battery Boy
Don't forget us back here in the waiting room! Send us a pic of your new ride and tell us about your delivery experience when you get time!
Hey mate, literally just had a chance to read the messages. Long day, train down to Chatswood at 6:30am for the 10am pickup. The process at pickup is amazing. They basically handover the car in the app and then a guy walked us down to the car and configured the necessary bits on the app then adding your profile etc. I had all good intentions to check every little thing but just stuck to the big ticket items like panels and gaps, interior finish etc. but the China m3s are of a high quality so I took my chances. Drove back up the mountain and let the car calibrate before giving it too much. Once I hit the 100 freeway I was able to open her up a little and that feeling of the M3P acceleration came fooding back - it is amazing!
Stopped off for some lunch and plugged in to do my first practice charge, when I went back to move car I didn’t know how to get the cable unlocked, worked it out but felt like an EV noob!

1697625663535.jpeg

Got home and tested the wall charger which worked immediately and much easier than the public chargers albeit much slower.

1697625731715.jpeg

Went for some more spins and got to know the options and games and all the goodies you don’t get to use when it’s just a test drive.

One thing that did bug me a little, I had the car going though some good fast turns and wasn’t happy with the handing. I later checked the tire pressures in the app and saw they were 47, which seemed a bit high. Checked the loading information and it should be 42! Went for a visit to the servo to fix issue, yeah an excuse for another drive. The handling was noticeably better. Tesla need to check this before delivery, I expected this would be correct at handover. Something you should check.

Did a free charge at a NRMA public charger, the one I chose didn’t work but the other was good. I expect this will be common for chargers outside the Tesla network.

Anyway that’s it for now, here’s a pic of the girl in her full glory. I will post some more later.

1697626114989.jpeg