Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 13 storey floating car park essentially. I had no idea how the cars were stowed in such a vessel. So great that you shared this. Thank you. I wonder how the cars (especially Tesla's) are tied down to prevent movement in rough seas? Tie-downs over the tyres perhaps?
They aren't tied down or anything, its the parking break. Vessels like these don't really move a lot in rough seas, they also take different routes to prevent sailing through rough seas.

Reactions: MrMister
1700692805385.png

Reactions: dronus
They aren't tied down or anything, its the parking break. Vessels like these don't really move a lot in rough seas, they also take different routes to prevent sailing through rough seas.
They are actually lashed down. There are a number of videos on youtube showing this, and also mentioned on the Hyundai Glovis website. The little circle things on the floor are D-clips to attach the lashings to. It would be very irresponsible to rely on the brakes out at sea.

Also, commercial shipping companies do NOT take smooth seas.. they take the route most economical.. as that is what it's all about. Lashing costs next to nothing compared to a longer route + extra crew time costs.

1700699781295.png

I talked with ISS and they said this fumigation taking place would only take 24-48 hours since it passed inspection, the NSW Agriculture has a *must fumigate* policy even after stink bugs have been cleared. This fumigation should end today night and should unload at Brisbane. It will make its way to Port Kembla on Wednesday.
@IshaalK - I know this post from you is from a while back, but I just wanted to ask who at ISS you spoke with at that point? Were they wrong, or were they just the wrong person to ask. Did you phone them, or was it an email?

I realise it doesn't matter, but I'm just trying to figure out if something changed, or whether there's just a whole lot of misinformation going around, intentionally or not (not from you specifically, but the relevant authorities/Tesla etc).

Any ideas the typical length on long from the text saying "Arrived in Australia" (which suggests it's been unloaded, and is now enroute to the dealer), to receiving the car? I cannot contain my excitement.
I just picked up my MY yesterday that was on Morning Cello so I've got some recent timelines to try and outline below.
  • Morning Cello docked in Melbourne at 12.30am on 9th of November
  • Received "Your car has arrived in Australia" text on 9th of November at 3pm
  • Received "Schedule Delivery" text on 13th November at 6pm
  • Picked up car yesterday at 10am which was the earliest delivery date/time I could choose
Hope that helps.

I just picked up my MY yesterday that was on Morning Cello so I've got some recent timelines to try and outline below.
  • Morning Cello docked in Melbourne at 12.30am on 9th of November
  • Received "Your car has arrived in Australia" text on 9th of November at 3pm
  • Received "Schedule Delivery" text on 13th November at 6pm
  • Picked up car yesterday at 10am which was the earliest delivery date/time I could choose
Hope that helps.
Excellent thank you. So ~ 2 weeks from the text

Reactions: BillyHoke
Any ideas the typical length on long from the text saying "Arrived in Australia" (which suggests it's been unloaded, and is now enroute to the dealer), to receiving the car? I cannot contain my excitement.
I got my scheduling sms on the 3rd of Nov and my earliest pickup is 1 Dec. So it varies a lot.

I honestly don’t understand how I got saddled with a pickup date so far out. I bet there are people that had their vehicles arrive after mine on other ships, that got earlier delivery dates.

Turns out the car that I've recently been assigned to was on the Morning Cello which arrived to Port Kembla weeks ago (I thought it was on the Don Juan). Just got off the phone with Tesla to ask about scheduling delivery - they said the VIN transfer has been complete and it's initiated a request for logistics from PK to Alexandria (Sydney) - once the logistics has been scheduled to Alexandria then apparently the text goes out to the owner to schedule in a pickup. He said it could happen any day now.

He also mentioned there's another ship that's come in the meantime so there's apparently a lot of cars there.

Reactions: dronus