Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And with insurance are people including glass protection (windows, windscreen, but especially also roof)? What about the 20" wheels, hear they protrude out and have scuffed easily. Are those included in insurance? I'm trying to check with my NL what inclusions they have in the insurance they've added in. Or is it better to go insurance directly n claim vs through NL.

And with insurance are people including glass protection (windows, windscreen, but especially also roof)? What about the 20" wheels, hear they protrude out and have scuffed easily. Are those included in insurance? I'm trying to check with my NL what inclusions they have in the insurance they've added in. Or is it better to go insurance directly n claim vs through NL.
You would be mad not to include glass cover.

I guess you could claim wheel damage on your insurance but given the excess payment and potential premium increase from making an at fault claim, would be be worth doing?
You would be better off buying a set of these if you are worried about hitting the kerb.

Reactions: jassi and bsbh
Oh wow that's quick. I better get my novated lease going process going.

Another question for those who went NL, what inclusions were allowed. I was told premium connectivity (9$/month) and 550$ mobile charger are allowed, but not the 800$ wall charger.
My NL advised me that a wall charger comes under "home improvement" category and hence not cannot be included in NL.

for trade-in I saw something about the car must have 3+ months remaining registration on it. Is anybody able to confirm this?

My rego is up Feb 8 (yep pretty annoying having to renew with the whole GC saga..) If so I assume I can't just renew my rego for 3 months but I have to do it for a full six months.

Last edited:
has anyone collected a MY24 model yet ??
I have been told that there is no such thing as model year 2024 for a Tesla MY and the manufacturer is free to assign a car that is built within the last to years as long as it it not registered previously. This alone qualifies for a "NEW" car and hence companies are Tesla are not bothered to allocate cars made in 2024 for orders placed in 2024...! they are free to sell a NEW car as long as it stays new i.e. unregistered.

I have been told that there is no such thing as model year 2024 for a Tesla MY and the manufacturer is free to assign a car that is built within the last to years as long as it it not registered previously. This alone qualifies for a "NEW" car and hence companies are Tesla are not bothered to allocate cars made in 2024 for orders placed in 2024...! they are free to sell a NEW car as long as it stays new i.e. unregistered.
My invoice said it has been built in 2024

Correct..
It's normally not an issue but Glovis Caravel saw to that.

I mean has anyone taken delivery of a MY with a 2024 build date yet. I know a few have arrived in Aus (mine included) but not sure if any deliveries have happened for those yet

Has anyone thought about getting a spare wheel? If you are travelling out of town or interstate getting a flat tyre would be a nightmare. I have bought a secondhand set of (4) 19” Gemini wheels with tyres and wheel covers. Bought them from someone who upgraded to 20” combustion wheels. Wheels are in very good condition except some minor curb marks. Tyres have plenty of life left in them as well. Would be excellent for spares. I am not going to keep the spare in the car all the time. Only when travelling long distance.

I will keep one and get rid of other three. Not trying to make money but just to recover the cost. Send me a message if interested. Not allowed to put the price here.
Have to be picked up from Western Sydney.

Last edited:
Another question for those who went NL, what inclusions were allowed. I was told premium connectivity (9$/month) and 550$ mobile charger are allowed, but not the 800$ wall charger.
The ATO's guidance is that subscriptions like premium connectivity aren't considered part of a "car benefit" so they're not FBT-exempt. Good for you though if your NL is happy to do it anyway.

The ATO's guidance is that subscriptions like premium connectivity aren't considered part of a "car benefit" so they're not FBT-exempt. Good for you though if your NL is happy to do it anyway.
Interesting. Seems like it's NL discretion. Are there any issues later or they can just remove that aspect from the lease if it becomes an issue? I ask because I know friends who've got a home charger installed as part of lease and then others like me been told only portable charger is allowed (and 4.2c/km). Seems like premium connectivity is in a grey area on whether it's a running cost or not.

for trade-in I saw something about the car must have 3+ months remaining registration on it. Is anybody able to confirm this?

My rego is up Feb 8 (yep pretty annoying having to renew with the whole GC saga..) If so I assume I can't just renew my rego for 3 months but I have to do it for a full six months.
My rego is up Feb 29. Asked Tesla the same question (any min rego required) via SMS and their first response was “you may need to extend the rego given the timing”, to which I replied asking them to clarify as that was a non-answer! They just replied “yes you will need to extend the registration.” Still not very helpful.

Anyway TMR allows for month to month, 3, 6 , or 12 month renewals, see if TfNSW does similar? I’ll just renew for one month and try get a more clear answer out of Tesla closer to delivery.

Interesting. Seems like it's NL discretion. Are there any issues later or they can just remove that aspect from the lease if it becomes an issue? I ask because I know friends who've got a home charger installed as part of lease and then others like me been told only portable charger is allowed (and 4.2c/km). Seems like premium connectivity is in a grey area on whether it's a running cost or not.
If it comes to the right person's attention, the employer will have to pay FBT on those non-FBT-exempt benefits, which the employer will likely pass on to you.

The ATO fact sheet specifically calls out home charging equipment as a separate benefit. In terms of premium connectivity, it has this to say which seems relevant:

A periodic Global Positioning System subscription is not a car running expense and is therefore not exempt from FBT.

Reactions: jassi and bsbh