Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well there is still a chance that a RWD car ultimately destined for you has been made but not shipped yet. It seems the VIns are assigned when the ships are on the water and close to port. We have no idea (noone does) on RHD production numbers let alone by your variant and destination (Sydney). Nor do we know how many RWD customers are in front of you in your particular queue (again not just date&time of order but also variant and destination). That report did say that they have large stocks produced still to be assigned to ships and despatched so you probably won't know until late March or April whether there is a chance of getting one by end of May, or whether your dates move to Apr-Jun which seems to be the next window. If a lot of peoples dates start moving on here then that is an indication that the Quarterly production for us has run out. Of course the current shipping delays at Oz ports looks likely to add at least a month to many deliveries and it seems to be getting worse not better, and these things are like traffic jams anywhere, they escalate.

I don't know but I suspect you could easily drop $10K on a buy then tradein, given Tesla themselves do not handle the secondhand cars, they go straight to resellers which is a very "sharp" business with relatively large margins. No one (let alone Tesla Australia) will do you a favour. You'd surely be better off selling privately to someone looking for an M3 who also doesn't want to wait. Spending three or four grand on keeping your current car going is possibly another option? e.g. replacement drivetrain from a wrecker.

Maybe keep a very sharp eye on Telsa MY inventory around Australia, there are likely to be a few Y RWDs pop up towards the end of the quarterly production run (quite a few M3's have) and it would be far cheaper to snap one up and then ship it home than drop the $$$$ on a secondhand one. These would be from people getting cold feet at the time of settlement, bought something else, etc. WA may be the best bet as they seem to get the best stocks.

This is all just my uniformed but interested opinion. Our 15 year old Golf is also on its last legs, just hoping it hangs in for a few more months.
Cheers
You can only buy Inventory from your home state , Tesla won’t transfer them.
But it is one of the best ways to avoid the longggggg wait .
Telegram channel is good to notify you if something comes up-

Reactions: Elite Display
First time poster here.

Ordered early Jan/23 just before the price drop. So hope I can get it by May as per the EDD at the time of order.

In the last week or so I have been seeing a few Model Ys on the road in the City and Gungahlin area (Canberra). Looks like people have taken delivery recently that are not necessarily on here.

True, Musk used the example of HW3 being 200% or 300% safer than a human, whereas HW4 might be 500% to 600% safer.
A LOT depends on the human involved! Marketing BS really and SO Far from being proven. I would back an alert and experienced driver any time in all but bar incidents critically dependent on reaction times that a human cannot achieve and for which defensive / attentive driving could not avoid. FSD is pandering to lazy people who can't be effed paying attention and actually DRIVING a car (so yes globally a large and growing audience).

Judging by recent reports in the Software Updates thread, not only will I not be paying for EAP or FSD but it seems I won't even be using Tesla's cruise control TACC thanks to phantom braking/acceleration, swerving, inability to read speed signs etc. This is very disappointing because the cruise control stopped working on our 15 year old car about 10 years ago and so we were looking forward to decent cruise control.

Last edited:
You can only buy Inventory from your home state , Tesla won’t transfer them.
But it is one of the best ways to avoid the longggggg wait .
Telegram channel is good to notify you if something comes up-
Good point Robbo, I'd forgotten that. Due to the various different state's incentives and rates of stamp duty etc. Does drastically lessen the pool and chance of securing one, agree.

I should have remembered that as I toyed with getting my daughter in ACT to buy mine (amazing incentives up there compared to Vic) but the chances she wouldn't hand it over would be way too high !!!!

Reactions: Robbo_707
A LOT depends on the human involved! Marketing BS really and SO Far from being proven. I would back an alert and experienced driver any time in all but bar incidents critically dependent on reaction times that a human cannot achieve and for which defensive / attentive driving could not avoid. FSD is pandering to lazy people who can't be effed paying attention and actually DRIVING a car (so yes globally a large and growing audience).

Judging by recent reports in the Software Updates thread, not only will I not be paying for EAP or FSD but it seems I won't even be using Tesla's cruise control TACC thanks to phantom braking/acceleration, swerving, inability to read speed signs etc. This is very disappointing because the cruise control stopped working on our 15 year old car about 10 years ago and so we were looking forward to decent cruise control.
Ok grumpy. Don’t use it then, no one is forcing you. 😂
Funny how people jump to conclusions even without even trying the actual thing. To each their own.

So basically, you are buying a piece of technology but refuse to try, not even mentioning about using it.

Reactions: aussiericky
So basically, you are buying a piece of technology but refuse to try, not even mentioning about using it.
Yep, that's right. No interest whatsoever.

I am in for the zero emissions, software integration, cargo capacity, torque, comfy seats. That's more than enough reasons for me. Sure I'm grumpy, who isn't. ;) But I didn't mean to imply that everyone interested in FSD is lazy and uniterested in driving, just that there is a large global audience for the Nirvana it promises. My apologies to anyone upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Way Downunder
So have a bit of a dilemma. Based on what i read this morning on Teslerati that Q1 export run is complete its probably safe to say my MY order wont arrive until May (placed in Nov for Sydney). My current ICE vehicle isn’t going to last much longer so i need a replacement to tied me over.

I know Tesla have M3 instock for delivery now (confirmed with my advisor). Im almost at the point of purchasing one and then trading it in May when the MY arrives. The one thing i cant work out is what a relatively new M3 would trade for, any thoughts?

I own my own business so would be able to instant depreciate and claim GST which would give me a buffer for the trade. Open to any ideas
Hold out for this week and next week. Expecting vins this week, and if there is, it should be a large amount, well into the thousands. If not, an armacup one is scheduled for this week in Shanghai which will almost certainly have vins as well. If you don’t get a vin and miss the Y inventory then make the decision then to switch.

So have a bit of a dilemma. Based on what i read this morning on Teslerati that Q1 export run is complete its probably safe to say my MY order wont arrive until May (placed in Nov for Sydney). My current ICE vehicle isn’t going to last much longer so i need a replacement to tied me over.

I know Tesla have M3 instock for delivery now (confirmed with my advisor). Im almost at the point of purchasing one and then trading it in May when the MY arrives. The one thing i cant work out is what a relatively new M3 would trade for, any thoughts?

I own my own business so would be able to instant depreciate and claim GST which would give me a buffer for the trade. Open to any ideas
If you're going to do this, don't buy one from inventory.
Just because they are in inventory doesn't mean you can pick up any time soon. They may not even be in the country.

Also - carsales have 2021 models for ~$52k. Buy and re-sell one of them if you must. You can obviously also avoid that instant-drive-off-the-lot-depreciation (not talking about tax depreciation).

Reactions: krylonos
First time poster here.

Ordered early Jan/23 just before the price drop. So hope I can get it by May as per the EDD at the time of order.

In the last week or so I have been seeing a few Model Ys on the road in the City and Gungahlin area (Canberra). Looks like people have taken delivery recently that are not necessarily on here.
Yeah it does feel that way. Every morning along horse park I see what should be my car lol. Honestly thoguh, I don’t think much more has been delivered to Canberra in the last month or so, I ordered mine end of June last year and have always had the EDD of Feb-May

So, Paglia had arrived Melbourne just over 24hrs ago and seems like it’s now just waiting to be docked..if most/all of first batch MYPs are on it, surely it wouldn’t take 3 weeks before it docks?? ( this is based on our earliest delivery time which is around the 20th of Mar for most of us…)

Reactions: MartinP4
but it seems I won't even be using Tesla's cruise control TACC thanks to phantom braking/acceleration, swerving, inability to read speed signs etc.
Don't believe the hype, I use TACC all the time around town, on the freeways between Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast and on the country roads like the Lachlan Valley Way. The main time I cancel it is when going past cyclists or parked cars that are in the same marked lane I'm travelling in because I know it hates that.

Reactions: Leconte
Hope so, but my EDD is still in where it was just moved to, pushed back to late March. I read a report that Port Kembla delays are up to 6 weeks from ship docking to go through the quarantine process.
Hopefully that’s not the case. My EDD has not changed from 26th Feb onwards and I know there’s others with a (overly optimistic) 22nd and beyond. Quarantine depends also on country of origin, mixed ports of calls, mixed manufacturers etc. My understanding is that Tesla mostly bypasses them as it charters ships instead of sharing but I could be wrong.
One good sign is that in QLD deliveries were literally 2 days after port docking, so assuming the quarantine measures are the same for all states (should be federal ruling) we should expect a swift process. Obviously more cars in NSW than in QLD, but 6 weeks seems excessive.

Reactions: GazzaK