Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys just me or looks like Tesla comprehensive insurance cost an arm and a leg?
did you guys manage to get a good price on this?
There are a few insurance threads on this site. In summary, yes, Teslas are more expensive to insure than a lot of other cars, probably because they are expensive to repair.

The cheapest I could find recently was $1300 - $1400 with a company I had never heard of. I ended up using NRMA for $1600-1700. Last year, Allianz was cheaper for me. Which is cheapest varies widely based on the driver and location.

I'm about to order our 2nd Tesla this week (Model Y RWD) and I tossing up between a car loan and a novated lease. I was wondering if anyone had the behind the scenes math figured out for this? From the little I understand right now, Novated leases work differently for an EV than traditional ICE cars?
The only difference in a NL between EV and ICE is that currently (not sure up until when - 2029?!?) all EV NLs do not contribute to your FBT. So if your FBT was maxed out, you can still get an NL on an EV but not an ICE or hybrid.

I'm about to order our 2nd Tesla this week (Model Y RWD) and I tossing up between a car loan and a novated lease. I was wondering if anyone had the behind the scenes math figured out for this? From the little I understand right now, Novated leases work differently for an EV than traditional ICE cars?
I got a NL - it worked out for me that on a 4 year term, the total amount I paid (defined by total reduction in take home pay + residual at the end of the period) works out to be almost exactly the car price. So that means essentially I get "free" financing and running costs - pretty good deal.

Also to note, @Sturty is correct - the more you earn, the better a NL as more of the pre-tax deductions come out of the highest tax bracket you are on.

For us, a novated lease was significantly cheaper than purchasing the car outright i.e. zero financing.

Also as a side note. Just received delivery of all the accessories I ordered from Halo Blk. Very impressed with the quality. Can't speak to fit yet as we don't have the car but I suspect fit will be excellent too. If anyone is after high quality accessories check them out.

Last edited:
So, I checked with my wife's employer's preferred NL provider - Orix. At this stage, they don't cover charging costs and they won't take the car back at the end of the lease period either, rather insist that we will have to buy it at a pre-agreed price!

Can I ask if this is consistent with what others are seeing with other NL providers too? thanks

So, I checked with my wife's employer's preferred NL provider - Orix. At this stage, they don't cover charging costs and they won't take the car back at the end of the lease period either, rather insist that we will have to buy it at a pre-agreed price!

Can I ask if this is consistent with what others are seeing with other NL providers too? thanks
I’m going with Orix - I am aware that they’re still finalising home charging, and the end of lease stuff must be new with the rapid depreciation.
I’ll have to re read my contract as I don’t recall anything about a mandatory purchase at the end, however it is also a moot point as I’ll be taking it on either way

The charging cost thing varies - providers are still coming to grips with that (personally, it seems inexcusable the degree to which the NL providers were caught flat-flooted by EVs, considering that being across these sorts of changes in the car market is their day job!).

The balloon payment thing is normal, and the quid pro quo is that you pretty much get to treat it as your car and do what you like with it.

Orix sent us some more documentation and I found this on one of them. Not sure what it means? specifically the second point in this. Does this mean that we will have to get some sort of a documentation from the employer to continue using the vehicle for private purposes?

Screenshot 2024-05-23 180605.png

Orix sent us some more documentation and I found this on one of them. Not sure what it means? specifically the second point in this. Does this mean that we will have to get some sort of a documentation from the employer to continue using the vehicle for private purposes?

View attachment 1049762
It’s not relevant as a Tesla isn’t a plug in hybrid

I'm with Smart Salary and they haven't stipulated any of those limitations/restrictions.

I ordered a Long Range Model Y on the 4th of this month. I was still awaiting a VIN.

After the recent price drops of the AWD, I looked back into the differences between it and the LR. To my surprise, unlike the Model 3 from yesteryear, the AWD gets the premium audio! The only differences are apparently the fog lights and the drivetrain/battery. Furthermore, I found inventory stock in the colour I wanted with the 2024 hardware refresh.

So I've cancelled my LR, ordered the inventory, and saved myself 15k!

I have the VIN. Just gotta go searching to see how we track VINs now. I'll search the threads, no doubt the info is there.

I ordered a Long Range Model Y on the 4th of this month. I was still awaiting a VIN.

After the recent price drops of the AWD, I looked back into the differences between it and the LR. To my surprise, unlike the Model 3 from yesteryear, the AWD gets the premium audio! The only differences are apparently the fog lights and the drivetrain/battery. Furthermore, I found inventory stock in the colour I wanted with the 2024 hardware refresh.

I have the VIN. Just gotta go searching to see how we track VINs now. I'll search the threads, no doubt the info is there.
Hi mate, I run the spread sheet on tracking.
Your Tesla will be on the Grand Pace due in Melbourne tomorrow morning. From there in a few days it goes to Port Kembla and then Brisbane. As you're from the ACT, they'll be trucked. Any questions, just throw them in here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Reactions: Mosesvii

Do you mean AWD or RWD? LR and Performance are All-Wheel Drive, while the cheapest model is Rear-Wheel Drive.

Hi mate, I run the spread sheet on tracking.
Your Tesla will be on the Grand Pace due in Melbourne tomorrow morning. From there in a few days it goes to Port Kembla and then Brisbane. As you're from the ACT, they'll be trucked. Any questions, just throw them in here and I'll do my best to answer them.
Sturty, you are an absolute legend. Thanks so much for the info.

• Love
Reactions: Sturty
Do you mean AWD or RWD? LR and Performance are All-Wheel Drive, while the cheapest model is Rear-Wheel Drive.
Yep, my bad. I'm so used to saying AWD. I did indeed mean RWD.

I used to own a Model 3 Long Range. Back when I got it, you needed to get either the Long Range or Performance model to get the premium sound. I had assumed the Y was the same today. I'm pleasantly surprised to find it's not for the right-hand market (it still is in the States).

So I've gone from expecting to spend 75k on a Long Range Stealth Grey Model Y to 60k for the RWD in Stealth Grey. That's a huge $$$ difference.

Reactions: JonDarian
Yep, my bad. I'm so used to saying AWD. I did indeed mean RWD.

I used to own a Model 3 Long Range. Back when I got it, you needed to get either the Long Range or Performance model to get the premium sound. I had assumed the Y was the same today. I'm pleasantly surprised to find it's not for the right-hand market (it still is in the States).

So I've gone from expecting to spend 75k on a Long Range Stealth Grey Model Y to 60k for the RWD in Stealth Grey. That's a huge $$$ difference.
Yeah, you do have to question paying 25% more for the LR. That said, be aware that the RWD highway range is about 300km, much less than I had expected from Tesla's figures (and having experience of a Kona which delivers much closer to its claimed figures). People on this forum were saying "range just isn't a concern", but I can tell you it absolutely is on the roads I drive. I would definitely like an extra 50-100km of highway range.

Reactions: Mosesvii