Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can certainly confirm this for everyone - it is true if your build date is after 1st Jan 2023, it will come with the upgraded suspension. The confirmation is from Tesla official Weibo account.

This is awesome for my upgraded 20 inches rims...However, someone tested it by said it did not make much different....see image 3

In sum, (1) To optimize the compression damping of shock absorber, low speed is not bumpy, high speed is more stable; (2) The stiffness of the top support of the shock absorber is improved by 50%, and the impact of the filter road is more in place; (3) The spring stiffness is reduced by 2-5N/mm, the vibration frequency of the suspension is adjusted, and the resonance frequency of the human body is far away to avoid motion sickness.
Would be keen to hear the thoughts of anyone who received a MY RWD in 2023. I wonder if these changes are noticeable.

Reactions: krylonos
Seems like the Investor Day was lacking in big announcements for customers. New giga factory in Mexico, two new colours in the USA (although from a video their Midnight Cherry Red car looks purple and nothing like the Berlin colour), and a lot of internal stuff about efficiencies, energy stuff etc. Next Gen software/hardware way over the horizon coming first from unbuilt Mexico plant. That's what a brief scan of twitter reveals. Maybe more in the fine print.
The only one I was looking for personally was the berlin colours ex-Shanghai but wasn't really expecting it. A faceiift for mdel Y seems to have also moved out to late 2024 ("project Juniper"). "If" the model 3 gets one soon (as predicted widely) I would have thought model Y would happen too but it sounds from the tone of the day that they just want to / need to pump out as many cars on current design as they can and push larger changes off to "projects" or parallel actions like a new plant.

So, question for everyone here. Can you track your car after a VIN has been assigned using the car's GPS WITHOUT having to ask the Tesla advisers very nicely?

I have a Tesla being shipped via 3rd party courier (Carrier Direct) to me. I get a 1-8 business day window in which the car will be dropped off at my house. Obviously, being who I am, I prefer more information rather than less so I'm trying to figure out how to track the vehicle from Sydney up to Northern NSW. Ideally, getting access to the car remotely would be the preference as I can just watch it slowly slowly towards me :)

Any off the wall suggestions are welcome.

My MYP, midnight silver, ordered 24-Sep-2022, is showing signs of life. Trading in my 2019 M3P "stealth". Waiting to see VIN. Waiting to see if there is the new hi-def radar. Waiting to see if there are ultra-sonic sensors on the bumpers. Waiting to see suspension tweaks. Waiting to see if new driving hardware.

Still on the fence as to whether I will proceed with order or not.

Unfortunately not, because
a) the GPS doesn't update when the car isn't being driven and
b) you don't get full access to the app until after you "accept" delivery via the website.
This part is interesting. I assume that Tesla would have to wake the car up somehow to then ensure the GPS updated.

I struggle with not being able to access the app prior to delivery to me because once it's loaded onto a truck, title and risk have actually passed. That said, I can understand why they don't do it because there's no way to distinguish my situation from someone that has a VIN and is waiting on a car that's on a ship. The same "acceptance" process applies to both order types.

Guess I have to just stick to asking nicely :)

On the topic of 20" vs 19" wheels for comfort - I went for a follow up test drive last weekend in both vehicles as I updated my order to include the inductions.

The Model Y the geminis actually felt far bumpier than inductions, especially along Unwins Bridge road in Sydney, a very typical (awful) concrete inner west street

I did note that the 19" model was registered in July 2022 and the 20" model in Dec 2022 so could be differences in suspension damping or wear/slightly higher milages, and the 20" model had the TPMS warning so I'm going to assume they purposefully lower the tyre pressures for more comfort

The Tesla rep said most people notice the inductions being worse and suggested that buyers could lower the tyre pressure (at the cost of uneven tyre wear)

Did the final drive in my corolla along the same road, which was obviously much worse than either of those

Attachments

• IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 46
What about the new hardware? So much seems to be up in the air right now. Does having ultrasonics preclude HW 4.0?

I was thinking that no ultrasonics was a deal breaker, but not having HW4.0 might also be a deal breaker.
My reading is that HW4 is miles away, for us at least. The only mention of "next gen" was a new to be built factory in Monterey (Mexico). Like Berlin, that is going to be around 18 months away from mass production and almost certainly only for the US market. If it was close it would have got a big airing at the investor day and it seems to not have been. The ultrasonics we have are the existing ones, which may or may not be those that future hardware and software require. It seems the Hw4 FSD and possibly even EAP will need the new higher resolution cameras at the least, which none of our current deliveries have got. If you are set on HW4 then you should probably wait until it is formally announced and known to be arriving, not work off rumours.
There was a recent rumour that Shanghai was shutting down for a week for changes but I think that was only Model 3.

Just got a call out of the blue from my Sales Advisor on the Gold Coast, Harry. He said port delays are a problem, but the EDD Dates of 13/3-31/3 are correct. Very exciting!

I feel bad for the early MYP order holders, who won't end up getting theirs before I do.
I might've gotten someone's cancelled order, because I ordered 8th November (White/Black).

Attachments

• IMG-20230302-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230302-WA0006.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 75
Just got a call out of the blue from my Sales Advisor on the Gold Coast, Harry. He said port delays are a problem, but the EDD Dates of 13/3-31/3 are correct. Very exciting!

I feel bad for the early MYP order holders, who won't end up getting theirs before I do.
I might've gotten someone's cancelled order, because I ordered 8th November (White/Black).
Thanks for your empathy for last June/July orders still awaiting delivery. For some the Feb 11/12 build date includes new softer suspension - so happy to wait a few extra weeks for this update to be part of the car. Although still crossing fingers for 8 - 29 SYD delivery.