Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get ya self a bargain 😂
20009A6B-013B-41D4-BD27-DE5281469D89.jpeg

I wonder what other tweeks (even minor) Tesla introduce regularly without announcing given continuous improvement is part of their ethos. Agree 9 months wait is long and appears to be worth it. Next big step change is Project Juniper for MY. Awaiting big announcements from Elon in coming hours! 🙂

They make multiple changes per week to each of their vehicle lines for a whole host of reasons. Safe to say 95% of changes you would never know about.

If i have found out my VIN, is it possible to work out what ship it is on?
Not reliably it seems. There is a pay-for-access service run by a guy(girl?) "Vedaprime" but even there I am not sure you exactly know by VIN every car on a ship. Inthink some ships may release this information and others not. Tesla does not. You can search here or on Twitter for Vedaprime to find out more. Many people use that service and many don't. I find it better to keep my lust under control and go with the flow. It'll happen one day and I can always change my mind If I get sick of waiting in the meantime.

Can you elaborate - stiff, smooth, rebound? bumps/cracks in the road? does it feel like its been 'tuned' to be less stiff than standard?
Suspension has to be the single most objective thing on a car. It's almost pointless commenting on it. One persons bone jarring experience is fine to the next person. To make certain it suits, an extended test drive is required. One thing is certain, roads in Oz are terrible due to the lengths to maintain.

I believe the ship's manifest includes the VINs of the vehicles carried, and this manifest data can be purchased.

Depends.. in my case the VIN can be searched for free..

Check out the info about MOLACE:

And you can enter your VIN here and see if it appears:

My route is this one

Last edited:
few points on investor day yesterday

1. a journo at end DID (3rd from last question) ask about HW 4 / AP 4...and the FSD chap didnt answer...he asnwered other points
2. when tesla bring in new stuff, they do so quietly, they never tell anyone, since the fear is current orders will stall, so who knows...you can't tell
3. as far as I can see, HW4 benefits FSD folks, I dont want FSD, so does it matter to me? why is HD radar important to me?
4. The overall theme of the day was making a car in chunks and bringing it together, so getting rid of an assembly line...my thought was this, will the car be safe? will it be strong...and will it be cheapened...

overall, maybe the Tesla Model Y will be seen in years to come as a the quality car before things were...yes more high tech, but cheaper components etc.

On a different note, batteries, LFP (the one in the RWD version) is
1. more stable, will probably last longer than nickel based ones, some say 2-4x
2. degrades about 10% and then stays fairly stable, but longer term 5Y plus testing data not available
3. can be charged to 100% unlike other batteries...since it is more stable, needs to go to 100% so range calcs can be done...(software needs full voltages)

After one year, the 2170 nickels will probably at 80% (15% degradation) vs 100% charge for LFP at 10% degradation...not be far off in terms of real world usage.

The new 4680 cells need less cooling and have higher density etc, and so will be a better battery for Tesla but maybe not you, unless you like speed of course (density and power). But the want to make cars for less, so less weight also impacts the show, and they'll put less battery in, less energy needed for weight and make more money per car!

Small point, but weight, in a crash is the #1 reason you want to be in a bigger car...inertia. Just saying.

Overall the LFP in the RWD might not be that bad an option.

I woke up to a nice surprise this morning:)

My original OD was for RWD on 24 June 2022. EDD Feb 23- May 23
I changed the order to MYP on 1 May 2023.
This morning I got updated with Letter of Authority for dealer to register the car with VIN etc and payment details. EDD now 20 May to 31 May 23.

There is no return details for the Letter of Authority for rego in my Tesla Account. Does anyone know where I send it to? or will Tesla inform me further?

few points on investor day yesterday

1. a journo at end DID (3rd from last question) ask about HW 4 / AP 4...and the FSD chap didnt answer...he asnwered other points
2. when tesla bring in new stuff, they do so quietly, they never tell anyone, since the fear is current orders will stall, so who knows...you can't tell
3. as far as I can see, HW4 benefits FSD folks, I don't want FSD, so does it matter to me? why is HD radar important to me?
4. The overall theme of the day was making a car in chunks and bringing it together, so getting rid of an assembly line...my thought was this, will the car be safe? will it be strong...and will it be cheapened...

overall, maybe the Tesla Model Y will be seen in years to come as a the quality car before things were...yes more high tech, but cheaper components etc.
If the question is, does MY have HW4, i think the answer is no. All reports say that it is still in development, and looking at the physical differences of HW3 to HW4 its not a simple change and will require a significant amount of re-tooling which equals shutting the line down. If they were going to introduce it to MY, it would be safe to assume that it would occur during any future refreshes, unless there is an expected supply chain issue on the horizon where they would be happy to take a chunk of downtime.

as for whether or not the quality or safety of the car will be compromised by building the car in modules, this should not affect anything really. from the safety perspective, it is pretty clear that Tesla see safety as a key component and go above and beyond other OEMs (modelling additional crash scenarios as an example). There are a number of options to attach the body panels together if welding become too difficult to do in final line including structural adhesives which are actually better than welding from a structural/crash perspective. plus, they need to meet safety requirements in each country, so will always be aiming for a 5star rating. Also, all EVs are safer than ICE vehicles (as a general rule) as you don't need to control this big, heavy block of mass (engine/transmission) so you have more control over your load paths during a crash - i think safety is the last thing to be worried about.

as for quality, it would probably result in an overall improvement in build quality. the simpler it is to assemble the car the better your quality, so avoiding getting in and out of the car as Lars mentioned would only improve the overall build quality and ergonomics of it all. If the next gen car is a $25k car, you will certainly get a less refined finish, but Tesla really is in the game of smart cost savings through technology advancements as opposed to sacrificing quality to save money, even despite their at times questionable build quality.

Corrected typos below: I meat to say....
I woke up to a nice surprise this morning:)

My original OD was for RWD on 24 June 2022. EDD Feb 23- May 23
I changed the order to MYP on 1 May MARCH 2023.
This morning I got updated with Letter of Authority for dealer to register the car with VIN etc and payment details. EDD now 20 May Mar to 31 May Mar 23.
Going up the coast on holiday on 27 Mar. How's that for timing?

There is no return details for the Letter of Authority for rego in my Tesla Account. Does anyone know where I send it to? or will Tesla inform me further?