Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australia is unique compared to many other nations due to its strict quarantine and customs. As far as I am aware Tesla vehicles from Shanghai are on concrete/hard surface during dispatch/on boarding. It would make sense and mitigate risk to ensure contamination factors (storing vehicles on fields/grass) are separated (wonder how many manufacturers use grass/field storage - likely nill.)I would imagine that these bio hazard risk factors are carefully considered as having just one vehicle on board has potential to cross contaminate. Same applies for fires on board - one car of tightly packed roro has potential to spread fire rapidly. This happened last year off coast of Portugal with car ship eventually sinking. So appreciate customs strict requirements to keep pests out - which may delay delivery. But I know I would prefer to have our country protected and wait a few weeks for delivery than have pests/disease that AU has so far avoided and keep its uniqueness.
ok but Paglia has docked twice already. both times <48hrs turn around. there is biosecurity & there is bureaucracy & inefficient. I have no idea what is going at the Port but it seems like something is seriously amiss

ok but Paglia has docked twice already. both times <48hrs turn around. there is biosecurity & there is bureaucracy & inefficient. I have no idea what is going at the Port but it seems like something is seriously amiss
I think the problem is that quarantine and fire on the H Trooper have caused a big backlog. Boats get to port based on when they arrived off
Melbourne. That is a stated Miraat policy. So delays delay all equally.

Australia is unique compared to many other nations due to its strict quarantine and customs. As far as I am aware Tesla vehicles from Shanghai are on concrete/hard surface during dispatch/on boarding. It would make sense and mitigate risk to ensure contamination factors (storing vehicles on fields/grass) are separated (wonder how many manufacturers use grass/field storage - likely nill.)I would imagine that these bio hazard risk factors are carefully considered as having just one vehicle on board has potential to cross contaminate. Same applies for fires on board - one car of tightly packed roro has potential to spread fire rapidly. This happened last year off coast of Portugal with car ship eventually sinking. So appreciate customs strict requirements to keep pests out - which may delay delivery. But I know I would prefer to have our country protected and wait a few weeks for delivery than have pests/disease that AU has so far avoided and keep its uniqueness.

Tesla also use parking lots for storing cars as space is at a premium at the factory. It is hopeful that it is not Australian cars stored at such places to reduce the risk of insect/plant matter contamination but who knows??
. It's a sort of concrete parking area but you can see plenty of grasses growing through the concrete

Currently WA cars can be offloaded in Thailand and/or Singapore and then stored somewhere waiting for another ship. This is another risk for insect and plant contamination. I know that my car was built on 28th of January but didn't leave Shanghai until 20th February so was presumably stored somewhere for 3 weeks if not enough room at the factory. It is now sitting in Singapore for a planned 4 week duration - stored anyone's guess.

It really is a minefield and I appreciate the hard work that goes into keeping Oz safe. Fingers crossed there are no contaminants on my ship or that 6 week journey it's currently on will go even longer.

Reactions: Way Downunder
I think the problem is that quarantine and fire on the H Trooper have caused a big backlog. Boats get to port based on when they arrived off
Melbourne. That is a stated Miraat policy. So delays delay all equally.
Looking at MarineTraffic data suggests increasingly long wait times here in Melbourne with Ro Ro. This is separate to the fire that has compounded the issue. For those waiting for a dock after the Paglia I hope the wait is less. Perhaps Tesla will look at other options to avoid port Melbourne all together. I am sure it has been costly a delay

Reactions: Way Downunder
Carbon emissions for 30 days of circle work?

Screenshot_20230306-204450.png

I think you're just stuck in the chaos that is Melbourne port at the moment. The Paglia is most likely clean but it's got to wait it's turn behind everything else and the dock is also got a permanent resident taking up valuable space with the High Trooper stuck there with fire damage

Just recently found this group. I also got EDD mar 8-29 SYD. Do you guys see your Vin in the RAV when you search it? Thanks

Hi I also have an EDD Mar 8-29 Syd. Just wondering if you guys can see your VIN when you search it in RAV? Thanks
I have the same EDD as RP19 but can't see my VIN on RAV either. Typical Tesla - consistently inconsistent.

Looking at MarineTraffic data suggests increasingly long wait times here in Melbourne with Ro Ro. This is separate to the fire that has compounded the issue. For those waiting for a dock after the Paglia I hope the wait is less. Perhaps Tesla will look at other options to avoid port Melbourne all together. I am sure it has been costly a delay

The Armacup schedule on Friday showed that it might be putting future Melbourne loads onto transfer ships at Port Kembla so that it can free up it's big ships back onto it's routes. I'm guessing this is to avoid having them sit waiting outside port at Melbourne and just have a smaller sacrificial ship do the waiting job. Turandot is still scheduled to head to Melbourne after PK but all ships after that on the roster are not.

That's just my interpretation but it makes sense to me.

The Armacup schedule on Friday showed that it might be putting future Melbourne loads onto transfer ships at Port Kembla so that it can free up it's big ships back onto it's routes. I'm guessing this is to avoid having them sit waiting outside port at Melbourne and just have a smaller sacrificial ship do the waiting job. Turandot is still scheduled to head to Melbourne after PK but all ships after that on the roster are not.

That's just my interpretation but it makes sense to me.
Or alternatively by land/rail? Anyways we keep moving forwards 🤙👍

Reactions: alliwantisaY
Tesla also use parking lots for storing cars as space is at a premium at the factory. It is hopeful that it is not Australian cars stored at such places to reduce the risk of insect/plant matter contamination but who knows??
. It's a sort of concrete parking area but you can see plenty of grasses growing through the concrete

Currently WA cars can be offloaded in Thailand and/or Singapore and then stored somewhere waiting for another ship. This is another risk for insect and plant contamination. I know that my car was built on 28th of January but didn't leave Shanghai until 20th February so was presumably stored somewhere for 3 weeks if not enough room at the factory. It is now sitting in Singapore for a planned 4 week duration - stored anyone's guess.

It really is a minefield and I appreciate the hard work that goes into keeping Oz safe. Fingers crossed there are no contaminants on my ship or that 6 week journey it's currently on will go even longer.
Given potential high risk contamination for Teslas from Shanghai I would not be surprised if Elon has a ‘quarantine’ area for Oz bound Teslas awaiting loading on Ro Ro. This would be prudent and, although seperate pre loading segregation may add slightly more to cost, imagine the cost if not done! Customs could deny docking/clearance for vessel. Imagine the cost of delaying/sending to alternative port etc…Although you could argue we are seeing this right before our eyes now in Port Melbourne. Appreciate that there are/may be a range of factors at play here as some members have mentioned. As stated Tesla are very conscious of our unique biohazard customs/clearance regulations and would probably use AU as a benchmark for biohazard risks and standards.

Reactions: alliwantisaY