Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The order date that shows on your agreement will be from the day that you made the change, but this is not the order date that is used for purposes of assigning you a VIN.

There are several instances in this thread of people giving up on the wait for the MYP and switching to a RWD, and getting a VIN shortly thereafter.

And my order agreement says "Order placed with electronically accepted terms: 06/01/2023" because that's when I last updated my config, but I was issued a VIN on the 20th of Feb along with many other launch day orders.
Thanks - I am only going based on what I was told by an SA when I tried to follow-up my change request. Perhaps, it has to do something with the fact that LR was launched later than RWD and MYP. That said, I hope you are right on VIN assignment being done on the original order date as opposed to change date.

Some people got the option to change it, others had to phone Tesla to get it changed.

It probably relates to how far advanced your existing order is.

Your original order date is likely a factor too, because if you switch from a RWD to a P (or vice versa) and the price for those models were cheaper on your order date, then the old price applies. And for the LR there was no "old" price.

If you ordered at a time that prices were higher than now, it wouldn't be a factor.

Just for reference, I tracked the price changes for the Model Y Performance since launch date.
The RWD prices would have changed on most of those days too, but I haven't kept track of those.

10 Jun 2022 $93,900 17 Jun 2022 $96,700 6 Jan 2023 $94,900 13 Feb 2023 $95,300 4 Apr 2023 $94,900
Surely most of those changes would be due to currency fluctuations?

Thanks - I am only going based on what I was told by an SA when I tried to follow-up my change request. Perhaps, it has to do something with the fact that LR was launched later than RWD and MYP. That said, I hope you are right on VIN assignment being done on the original order date as opposed to change date.
I could be wrong but my understanding is (from my Tesla SA) that the order date for any model change will be the date of the model change.

Surely most of those changes would be due to currency fluctuations?
Some of them, but there have been large price swings in the USA and China too.

my understanding is (from my Tesla SA) that the order date for any model change will be the date of the model change.
Many of the Tesla SAs have no idea. The best ones are those that admit when they don't know something, instead of making it up on the spot.

Model Y RWD Blue 19" Gemini wheels / Black interior. Ordered 9th August 2022. Estimated delivery still showing Feb-May 2023.
Located in Melbourne.
Lets see if it turns up in May 23.
My Model 3 I ordered inventory almost 7 weeks ago I still have no delivery text yet.. Hopefully get one end of the week. Docked last week EDD just moved again to 20th Apr to 11th of May :( If it came say the 20th it be over 8 weeks.
Think be pushing to get May delivered Model Y and no VIN yet :)
I have a Nov ordered in the same boat thinking Mid Jun to August now :(
unless people start cancelling their RWD ahead of me for MYLR and I jump the queue.

Today I was talking with Tesla and was told by an employee that they have been receiving some Freemont built cars with terrible panel gaps etc. The employee also let me know it wasn't an issue on the Shanghai built cars.

I was under the impression all the Model 3/Y's we got in Australia were built in Shanghai. Does anyone know if this is still the case? What the employee told me was concerning as for this amount of money I'd appreciate a car with decent build quality.

Today I was talking with Tesla and was told by an employee that they have been receiving some Freemont built cars with terrible panel gaps etc. The employee also let me know it wasn't an issue on the Shanghai built cars.

I was under the impression all the Model 3/Y's we got in Australia were built in Shanghai. Does anyone know if this is still the case? What the employee told me was concerning as for this amount of money I'd appreciate a car with decent build quality.
This seems very unusual. Only the early cars were Freemont built with the 2019 and 2020 M3 sourced from the USA. Mind you I have a 2019 Freemont built P3D and panel and fit are excellent. I have however see some bad Freemont built RHD examples. Model S and X were also sourced from the USA but none have been available for a while. The new models when they arrive are coming from China also. AFAIK all model Ys for Australia are sourced from China.

I don't buy that.

- US factories are setup for LHD.
- Our market has weird nuances eg no exterior speaker (boombox)
- Shanghai doesn't need help with production. If anything, Berlin does.
- No boats come here from there...unless they go via Shanghai which makes no sense.
- Today is a public holiday
- Why would a Tesla employee tell you there is a chance the product they are trying to sell you is "terrible"

I don't buy that.

- US factories are setup for LHD.
- Our market has weird nuances eg no exterior speaker (boombox)
- Shanghai doesn't need help with production. If anything, Berlin does.
- No boats come here from there...unless they go via Shanghai which makes no sense.
- Today is a public holiday
- Why would a Tesla employee tell you there is a chance the product they are trying to sell you is "terrible"
Agreed, I wonder if phoning Tesla today (Easter Monday) resulted in the call being diverted to the US call centre?