Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems very unusual. Only the early cars were Freemont built with the 2019 and 2020 M3 sourced from the USA. Mind you I have a 2019 Freemont built P3D and panel and fit are excellent. I have however see some bad Freemont built RHD examples. Model S and X were also sourced from the USA but none have been available for a while. The new models when they arrive are coming from China also. AFAIK all model Ys for Australia are sourced from China.
Having been subscribed to VedaPrimes service for a while now, there appears to be no evidence that any Teslas ordered here are coming from anywhere other than Shanghai. I guess there may be the odd private import from the US, but again, if Fremont producing RHD vehicles?
The refreshed S & X are due to resume availability in Australia any time now, and they will come from the US, but I think that is all.

Or he’s just a newly joined troll or works for another manufacturer. Regardless who cares, move along and buy something “with decent build quality“. we’re not here to talk you into buying a car.

This is embarrassing, you need to settle down. Without giving away the particular employee (As he was such a nice guy I'd hate to throw him under the bus) Tesla was open in some places yesterday.

I absolutely love the Model Y, although I pray to God when it gets here that I never run into you at a supercharger.

I don't buy that.

- US factories are setup for LHD.
- Our market has weird nuances eg no exterior speaker (boombox)
- Shanghai doesn't need help with production. If anything, Berlin does.
- No boats come here from there...unless they go via Shanghai which makes no sense.
- Today is a public holiday
- Why would a Tesla employee tell you there is a chance the product they are trying to sell you is "terrible"
Everything I wrote is 100% accurate.

Tesla was open yesterday. You can do your own research into which location it was (But it's not hard to work out considering my location). I'm not going to throw the employee under the bus as he was a champ. I was actually asking him a whole bunch of questions that led to him telling me. He also told me the Shanghai cars were pretty much perfect, so why would I make it up?

As I said above, I should have followed up with asking if all the Model 3/Y's in OZ come from Shanghai as he very well may have been referring to the Model X/S a while back and I misinterpreted it.

Having been subscribed to VedaPrimes service for a while now, there appears to be no evidence that any Teslas ordered here are coming from anywhere other than Shanghai. I guess there may be the odd private import from the US, but again, if Fremont producing RHD vehicles?
The refreshed S & X are due to resume availability in Australia any time now, and they will come from the US, but I think that is all.
I think you've answered my question and there aren't Model 3/Y's coming in here from Freemont. That gets rid of the concern I had.

This isn't directed at you, but I love the fact, plenty of people on here complain about Tesla Vision, possible removal of USS etc (Which I don't personally really care about) but the one thing I was worried about which is a car possibly coming from Freemont instead of Shanghai when it's well known Shanghai makes much better cars makes me an employee of another car manufacturer.

Everything I wrote is 100% accurate.

Tesla was open yesterday. You can do your own research into which location it was (But it's not hard to work out considering my location). I'm not going to throw the employee under the bus as he was a champ. I was actually asking him a whole bunch of questions that led to him telling me. He also told me the Shanghai cars were pretty much perfect, so why would I make it up?

As I said above, I should have followed up with asking if all the Model 3/Y's in OZ come from Shanghai as he very well may have been referring to the Model X/S a while back and I misinterpreted it.

I think you've answered my question and there aren't Model 3/Y's coming in here from Freemont. That gets rid of the concern I had.

This isn't directed at you, but I love the fact, plenty of people on here complain about Tesla Vision, possible removal of USS etc (Which I don't personally really care about) but the one thing I was worried about which is a car possibly coming from Freemont instead of Shanghai when it's well known Shanghai makes much better cars makes me an employee of another car manufacturer.
And not making any judgement on the SA you spoke to, many of them are on record as coming out with plain inaccurate info on regular occasions!
But yes, the cars coming out of Shanghai are of a very good build standard - which is great for us :)

Vicports has pushed the Turandot expected arrival out to the 23rd (was the 7th a few days ago). (src Victorian Ports Corporation - Melbourne)
Absolutely ridiculous. What the hell is wrong with it?
People, I'm thinking about whether I should cancel my RWD order, wait a couple months and see if the new M3P battery would be implemented.
There were some rumors about Model y coming with 65/75 kwh LFP batteries. I wouldn't believe that Tesla would actually put a 75 kWh LFP in RWD MY but I do think 65 kWh is a real possibility

It's a hard decision to make as the current 60 kWh RWD I think has plenty enough range for Australian customers. What worries me is, once that new battery come in, mine months old new Tesla would really drop in value (no way I will consider selling but it will be a *sugar* feeling).
If you have the same config as me then you should definitely cancel and wait. That would mean I move up the queue 😂
This spec is identical to mine, and the order date is pretty close also (15th Aug, Gold Coast). I got a build date of 9th March, I wonder when your VIN is assigned eventually whether it will have the same build date too?
The one time QLD is actually ahead of VIC

Vicports has pushed the Turandot expected arrival out to the 23rd (was the 7th a few days ago). (src Victorian Ports Corporation - Melbourne)
I should've checked first but it looks like Turandot left Melbourne 2 days ago.
As much *sugar* as I gave them for being lazy, it seems they worked over the Easter long weekend. I'm impressed, hats off to them.

It's now going back to Shanghai arriving on the 23rd to pick up more cars.

And not making any judgement on the SA you spoke to, many of them are on record as coming out with plain inaccurate info on regular occasions!
But yes, the cars coming out of Shanghai are of a very good build standard - which is great for us :)
It's frustrating with the SA's sometimes as they all give different information. Still don't know whether the Model Y RWD's arriving now have the new comfort suspension or not for example. I can't wait to get my car. I've been checking for a VIN everyday and keep doing test drives every so often to remind me why I'm waiting lol.

It's been very tempting at some points to just buy a VW Tiguan Allspace with stock available right now, then I do a test drive of the Model Y and immediately rule out any other car again. It's just so far beyond anything else in the price bracket and I love the minimalist interior of the Model Y.

I should've checked first but it looks like Turandot left Melbourne 2 days ago.
As much *sugar* as I gave them for being lazy, it seems they worked over the Easter long weekend. I'm impressed, hats off to them.

It's now going back to Shanghai arriving on the 23rd to pick up more cars.
Yes, it docked over the weekend and unloaded. I was wondering if the predicted weather got them in early (well, less late). If they avoid quarantine we might actually see some cars delivered by the end of the month.

It's frustrating with the SA's sometimes as they all give different information. Still don't know whether the Model Y RWD's arriving now have the new comfort suspension or not for example. I can't wait to get my car. I've been checking for a VIN everyday and keep doing test drives every so often to remind me why I'm waiting lol.

It's been very tempting at some points to just buy a VW Tiguan Allspace with stock available right now, then I do a test drive of the Model Y and immediately rule out any other car again. It's just so far beyond anything else in the price bracket and I love the minimalist interior of the Model Y.
A lot of people in sales just talk and the truth is, they don't know. That's why they give different information to the same question.

According to VFACTs - 1938 Model Ys were delivered in March.
And based on Teslike's estimates: The backlog for the Rest of the World is around the 8000 mark.
Now I don't know what percentage of that is Australia but hear me out... if it's 50%, that's 4000, that means April and May should clear the backlog if each month can deliver around 2000 Model Y vehicles... right?! That's do-able isn't it?

Does anyone remember how many ships arrived in Australia in the month of March? There are 4 vehicle carriers arriving in Brisbane and the rest of the east coast. Would be helpful if I had this number and see (on average) how many Model Ys are actually on each Armacup RoRo vehicle carrier.

So if there is some truth to the 'made in Freemont' talk, I wonder if it might be the new LR. It might make sense to do it that way.

Nope there's not truth to it, I think the SA and the OP just had a misunderstanding. He might have meant there used to be problems with Fremont made cars or that current Fremont made cars in the USA have issues but it's really not a current issue here.
The Y LR will be made in China as they are already producing it in right hand drive for asian markets like Thailand so it's already set up to produce the LR for Australia.

According to VFACTs - 1938 Model Ys were delivered in March.
And based on Teslike's estimates: The backlog for the Rest of the World is around the 8000 mark.
Now I don't know what percentage of that is Australia but hear me out... if it's 50%, that's 4000, that means April and May should clear the backlog if each month can deliver around 2000 Model Y vehicles... right?! That's do-able isn't it?

Does anyone remember how many ships arrived in Australia in the month of March? There are 4 vehicle carriers arriving in Brisbane and the rest of the east coast. Would be helpful if I had this number and see (on average) how many Model Ys are actually on each Armacup RoRo vehicle carrier.

Just the armacup ships and Grande Mirafiori I think. There were no MolAce ships to WA or east coast in March.
So if I count Brisbane arrivals (being first Australian port) then it would be Paganella (this was actually PK), Turandot, Morning Crystal and maybe Don Juan (can't remember if it made it in March or not)
Depends what they count as delivered - does it mean arrived in port or in customers hands?

In theory Australia could receive 2000 each month but that doesn't account for any new orders put in which keep adding the outstanding orders.

Love to know how many people waiting. More so how long I have to wait :) he he
If you look VFACTS 2023 been a lot more Model 3 delivered
Who knows how many in April although seems roughly 3500-4000 a month which could be over 40k by year end.
Double 2022 numbers.

Jan M3 2927 MY 386
Feb M3 3516 MY 845
Mar M3 1640 MY 1938
M3 8083 MY 3169

Love to know how many people waiting. More so how long I have to wait :) he he
If you look VFACTS 2023 been a lot more Model 3 delivered
Who knows how many in April although seems roughly 3500-4000 a month which could be over 40k by year end.
Double 2022 numbers.

Jan M3 2927 MY 386
Feb M3 3516 MY 845
Mar M3 1640 MY 1938
M3 8083 MY 3169
I think they're still delving MYP day one orders as my pickup is this Friday at Miranda :) I ordered at about 1400 day one and have been patiently waiting ever since.

Reactions: 1001 and Davemcd