Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Allocated a VIN today 🥳 MY Blue with Black Gemini, Order Date 2 Dec NSW
Same spec as me, got in a day before you and just got vinned too!

However, I've also put down a deposit for a LR M3. Have yet to cancel the MY as I'm skeptical as to whether the M3 will actually be delivered in May and maybe I just take the Y.

I know I'm holding 2 places in the queue, sue me I paid 2 deposits haha.
Does anyone know the last stage where you can cancel before they....well what can they even do?

Thanks!

Same spec as me, got in a day before you and just got vinned too!

However, I've also put down a deposit for a LR M3. Have yet to cancel the MY as I'm skeptical as to whether the M3 will actually be delivered in May and maybe I just take the Y.

I know I'm holding 2 places in the queue, sue me I paid 2 deposits haha.
Does anyone know the last stage where you can cancel before they....well what can they even do?

Thanks!
Without knowing your total circumstances, go with the Y. More spacious, range is plenty for what (I’m assuming) you’ll mostly need it for. Unless of course you do a lot of driving and the range is a necessary convenience.

I should also mention the Chrome extension did F’all in the way of forecasting this. I checked my Tesla app and noticed the Feb-May had disappeared and nothing remained. Opened Tesla account, and registration form was available, with VIN entered in the paperwork.
Not sure if anyone has actually benefited from the Chrome extension recently by the way of advanced knowledge of VIN allocation, but in my case it didn’t precipitate any impending knowledge.

• Informative
Reactions: -Dave
My EDD changed as well from 11 May - 1 June => 1 May - 22 May. So it's either Viking Sea or Paganella for me (Syd based). But the VIN doesn't show up on MOLAce tracker. And Paganella is supposed to arrive in Port Kembla on 5/5 as per the Armacup schedule. So I am not sure which boat the car is on. If it's on Paganella, why would Tesla set the EDD window starting May 1, when the ship is arriving almost a week later.

My EDD changed as well from 11 May - 1 June => 1 May - 22 May. So it's either Viking Sea or Paganella for me (Syd based). But the VIN doesn't show up on MOLAce tracker. And Paganella is supposed to arrive in Port Kembla on 5/5 as per the Armacup schedule. So I am not sure which boat the car is on. If it's on Paganella, why would Tesla set the EDD window starting May 1, when the ship is arriving almost a week later.
Same changed for melbourne delivery for me 1 May to 22 May

Without knowing your total circumstances, go with the Y. More spacious, range is plenty for what (I’m assuming) you’ll mostly need it for. Unless of course you do a lot of driving and the range is a necessary convenience.
LR comes with AWD and Dual-Motor. Is it not worth it? I am asking as I am in a similar dilemma and still wondering if I should wait for MY (April order with Apr-June delivery) or get M3 LR AWD DM. 🤔

LR comes with AWD and Dual-Motor. Is it not worth it? I am asking as I am in a similar dilemma and still wondering if I should wait for MY (April order with Apr-June delivery) or get M3 LR AWD DM. 🤔
LR Y is hampered by fact the battery is recommended to only be charged to 80% under normal circumstances. Not sure how you benefit from ‘extra range’ under normal driving conditions?
My opinion is that extra $1k’s for two motor, faster acceleration and range for the off chance it’s needed (where you then charge to 100%) is poor return on investment. Tesla Tom (Ludicrous Feed) contemplated the same dilemma and switched from MYP to the Y. Totally agree with his rationale.

LR Y is hampered by fact the battery is recommended to only be charged to 80% under normal circumstances. Not sure how you benefit from ‘extra range’ under normal driving conditions?
My opinion is that extra $1k’s for two motor, faster acceleration and range for the off chance it’s needed (where you then charge to 100%) is poor return on investment. Tesla Tom (Ludicrous Feed) contemplated the same dilemma and switched from MYP to the Y. Totally agree with his rationale.
Yeah but he has a Model S to fang around haha.

I made the switch for speed/fun rather than having a larger car to carry around small kids or teach teenage kids how to drive. (MYP is banned in NSW).
If I had kids I'd probably go Model Y RWD - everyone has their own situation :)

Going to 90% won't hurt btw - but if you can do 80% and not impact your life do that.

Reactions: Ryan07 and GoneEV
For most, that just do everyday running around (to work, shops etc), the charge to 80-90% daily is irrelevant. You can charge to 100% as long as you don't leave it there for too long; so for road trips, where extra range is important, it gives you an extra 80km. Then add the safety factor of all wheel drive plus the quicker acceleration and the price difference doesn't seem too bad to me.

Last edited:
For most, that just do everyday running around (to work, shops etc), the charge to 80-90% daily is irrelevant. You can charge to 100% as long as you don't leave it there for too long; so for road trips, where extra range is important, it gives you an extra 80km. Then add the safety factor of all wheel drive plus the quicker acceleration and the price difference doesn't seem too bad to me.
Not sure how 80kms makes much difference on a long road trip, 800km trip would still likely leave you needing to charge 2-3 times no different to the standard range. If it was 150km + I could maybe justify it.
Not sure that AWD makes much difference to overall safety, so don’t buy that argument. Does it score any higher on ANCAP?
Otherwise enjoy dragging ICE cars in traffic for the extra $15k premium, each to their own 😂 everyone’s circumstances are different, all the best

With my VIC date also brought forward today, is it possible they are trucking down from Port Kembla?
My EDD is about 1 week after yours.