Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi GB, I watched some videos about Autoglym, is it really as simple as wash, dry, prep and apply? I'm a bit hesitant to DIY as it may damage the paint if not done properly? Any insight you can offer, given your experience with it? Or is it different from product to product? Thanks in advance.
It’s very different product to product, vehicle to vehicle. But yes, it’s the same process. Wash, prep and protect. But the intricate details vary (like the amount of swirls, paint thickness, curing time etc).

You wash the car, decontamination (clay pad), depending on the paint - 2 star paint correction, polish, ipa wipe down. Now that the paint is all shiny and in the best condition, we apply ceramic coating on top to protect that paint. If you apply and leave it too long, it’s very difficult to fix it and you need to wet sand it off. So after 3-7 mins of applying, you need to level it and wipe it. After 45mins, apply another layer for added protection.

The more you do, you get better at it. There are so many videos that can help you. I recommend Car Craft auto detailing to learn.

PM and I’m happy to help wherever I can.

It’s very different product to product, vehicle to vehicle. But yes, it’s the same process. Wash, prep and protect. But the intricate details vary (like the amount of swirls, paint thickness, curing time etc).

You wash the car, decontamination (clay pad), depending on the paint - 2 star paint correction, polish, ipa wipe down. Now that the paint is all shiny and in the best condition, we apply ceramic coating on top to protect that paint. If you apply and leave it too long, it’s very difficult to fix it and you need to wet sand it off. So after 3-7 mins of applying, you need to level it and wipe it. After 45mins, apply another layer for added protection.

The more you do, you get better at it. There are so many videos that can help you. I recommend Car Craft auto detailing to learn.

PM and I’m happy to help wherever I can.
Thanks GB. It is super helpful. Will reach out if I need more guidance. Good luck with your shiny toy!

Reactions: grizzlybear
Are the MYLR available in Canberra actually physically there and ready?

The EDD for ours is still the 26th of May through June. Would really like it before then as we have a few thousand km drive to do starting on the 26th.

Only difference between what is apparently in Canberra now and our order is that they have 19" gemini wheels whereas we ordered the 20's

Hi all,

Quick question: my tesla model Y is scheduled for pick up tomorrow from Alexandria Sydney Store:

My novated lease company only made payment at mid-day today (super late....I'm pretty annoyed at them) and provided me with a remittance slip which I provided to Tesla. I just spoke to the SA and funds are still yet to clear to Tesla's account.....so technically I can't pick up my vehicle yet.....

Tesla are going to call me in the morning to tell me if funds have gone through, but I'm just wondering has anyone else been in this situation? is the remittance note enough normally to collect the vehicle? Or do funds with austra clear go through in the evening? The SA didn't seem to know.

The time frame is super tight and I'm travelling 200kms to Sydney to pick up this car....I don't want to rock up and find out that I'm not allowed to pick it up....

Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated.

I ordered a standard RWD back in November, to pick up in sydney. I'm certain my vehicle was on the Viking Sea in Port Kembla

Thanks!
Any payments i've made, or my bank, have always been visible against my order the next morning, so fingers crossed your ok

The EDD for ours is still the 26th of May through June. Would really like it before then as we have a few thousand km drive to do starting on the 26th.

Only difference between what is apparently in Canberra now and our order is that they have 19" gemini wheels whereas we ordered the 20's
It'll only cost you $400 to find out.

Have you applied ceramic coating before? I’m happy to order it from Waxit and ship them to you if you are comfortable applying it. It has a different curing time and application. I will be able to tell you more tomorrow when I apply it to my car.
Yes, I have applied CQuartz 3.0 a few times before, and read up as much as I can on DQuartz, so happy to give it a go. Yes, I can't order from Waxit directly unfortunately. Happy to share details over a DM when you're ready. Thank you!

I ordered my LR from inventory. Mine is on Grand Eagle, pretty sure the others are on it too. So you won't get it until the second half of June.

Reactions: noobz
Or…a phone call!
I'd do this if you have doubts.

There have been others that have found an inventory MY whilst waiting on their order, and successfully jumped the line and are now prepping to pickup the car

See 'gotheroy's story below as an example:

EDIT: White/White/19 RWD without enhanced autopilot showing in inventory in ACT.

Last edited:
Reactions: noobz

Not sure where you are.. but looks like the same two LR's are showing available for NSW (Sydney) - so maybe you have a choice.

Would be interesting to understand the story with these inventory cars - but most likely cancelled orders

I'd do this if you have doubts.

There have been others that have found an inventory MY whilst waiting on their order, and successfully jumped the line and are now prepping to pickup the car

See 'gotheroy's story below as an example:

EDIT: White/White/19 RWD without enhanced autopilot showing in inventory in ACT.
Difference is RWDs have been delivered in Aus for almost a year but no reports of the LR on land yet - the first expected to be arrive in Melbourne this week (delivery across the next 2 weeks) followed by Sydney - as the first LR build dates are late-April

So highly likely not in stock but possible that it's delivered along with the first batch of LRs between late May and Mid June

Reactions: Red Man
Or…a phone call!
I just spent 40 minutes on hold on the phone to be given.....no information. They don't have any access to any systems that tell them anything, nor do they really care - in the nicest way I can say that. They sell more cars then they can make and aren't on commission or assessed on performance and customer satisfaction so there's no real need ot do anything other than state: just wait until the app updates.

Is anyone here an NRMA-member? I don't know how much membership is but apparently they offer free charging at their chargers.
Can anyone confirm this?
They are still free for everyone but this won't last forever. They are flagging at change at some point where non-members need to pay. Details per link

Anyone seen delivery SMS from Brisbane/ SEQ yet for those off Palmela?
Nope. I received a "Delivery Approaching" email/SMS earlier this week.

SA informed me that we should get a Delivery appointment message in "5-7 days or more" after we receive the "Delivery approaching" email. So Palmela cars will get the most anticipated SMS next week

Last edited:
Nope. I received a "Delivery Approaching" email/SMS earlier this week.

SA informed me that we should get a Delivery appointment message in "5-7 days or more" after we receive the "Delivery approaching" email. So Palmela cars will get the most anticipated SMS next week
Yeah, I got some version of the same message. Called today and the SA didn't have anything much of use to say other than that he didn't think they'd started to get any mass of cars into the delivery centres yet.

So, reading between the lines, more cars have to either get to the centres or at least locked in on trucks to facilitate delivery SMSs going out. Very much hoping that we get something early next week.