Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% agree with you and hence I made it clear that I was unhappy. I ordered 2 Feb and as you said, a May order is on the same ship as your January order which shows how they could have prevented it but waited for the orders to accumulate. In my work, if I cause a financial loss, I have to compensate for it. How do these big companies making huge profits get away with it. My suggestion would be to call and show your unhappiness and if more people did that, they should at least as a gesture of goodwill give something to compensate. EOFY will just mean the depreciation will be over 3 years instead of instant at tax time.

Also, I noticed polestar deposit is fully refundable so this excuse that if you cancel the order due to the delays but won't get the money back doesn't make sense to me.

I guess see previous posts. Search on RAV https://rav.infrastructure.gov.au/ for your VIN. If it says 18/5, you are on Grand eagle like most others. Good luck, it's docking on Sunday.
Thanks Tee_my appreciate it, wasn't sure what RAV was in the first place 😁. Yes it does say 18/5 hopefully will receive it before EOFY 🤞

I don't think Tesla ever promises a vehicle to arrive by X day Y months and Z year
I spoke to them pre-order, as I did with other manufacturers, and told them I needed to take delivery by EOFY. Tesla said it wouldn't be a problem, that my EDD would show Feb-May and I could expect it in the first half of that period (i.e. before April).

I have been corresponding with them for months now, asking whether they will still be able to deliver before end of May, then before EOFY. Because they always said yes (until the last month), I didn't take the option of ordering an Ioniq5, or an inventory Model 3, both of which would have been comfortably here by now.

As recently as Sunday and Monday this week, Tesla gave me bad information about when the car carrier would be able to deliver to me. I took that into account when deciding how to take delivery.

So, yeah, Tesla do make statements about when they can deliver, and they do give wrong information, but they don't take any responsibility for it. By comparison, if my company ships products to a customer and the shipment is lost (due entirely to the fault of the third party carrier), we expedite a solution, add extra free products and keep the customer updated on when and what to expect. But that is because we want to do the right thing by our customers.

Yep. I ordered in October. My build date was 21 April. They told me to expect it in the first half of the Feb-May window.

I just got off the phone with them and it was all "it is up to the third party carrier" and "we are on your side". No, you ass-hats. Two days ago, when I was deciding whether to spend hundreds of dollars and 4 days driving to collect the car, you gave me a different set of dates, the last in a long string of wrong dates!

I was polite with the guy on the phone (because it's not his fault), but I am so angry. I have to change school holiday plans because the ETA slid back into the school holidays.

I have been very clear about my expectations from the start. They could not have cared less and only offered nonsense about how my order was expected soon. There definitely hasn't been any suggestion of any gesture of goodwill (and, yes, I am like you and offer my clients help and compensation if my company fails to deliver what we promise).
Yes absolutely. It's not a pleasant experience at all. Not when you are spending that much money.
I don't think Tesla ever promises a vehicle to arrive by X day Y months and Z year
Promise and customer service are two different things. If I say expect something, if you don't get it, then you will be disappointed. So not delivering on time lets you down. At the end of the day, it won't affect tesla but it's just not pleasant. And if too many people complain and makes it to the news, it's bad advertisement. At the end, everyone will have their new shiny wheels.

So, yeah, Tesla do make statements about when they can deliver, and they do give wrong information, but they don't take any responsibility for it
I understand the frustration, but I don't believe Tesla would ever say the vehicle will be delivered by X - guaranteed. At best it is all estimated dates.

This is the same with everything coming in through a port. It is impossible to actually know when anything gets cleared. And it's not just a problem with Australian ports, it's the same everywhere. The supply chains are so complex and maxed out at the moment

The problem with estimating dates is that it will be invariably wrong. Unless it written down and enforceable, nothing anyone can do.

When a company like Tesla has a high demand product which does kot need advertising, and production lines are maxed out, an unhappy customer matters little.

@Tee_my bad advertising?. Most people won't care. Those not in the EV car market won't have any sympathy. Those in the EV car market are fans - remember when Tesla has poor build quality?. Did it affect demand?

Last edited:
Reactions: bean2006
I understand the frustration, but I don't believe Tesla would ever say the vehicle will be delivered by X - guaranteed. At best it is all estimated dates.

This is the same with everything coming in through a port. It is impossible to actually know when anything gets cleared. And it's not just a problem with Australian ports, it's the same everywhere. The supply chains are so complex and maxed out at the moment

The problem with estimating dates is that it will be invariably wrong. Unless it written down and enforceable, nothing anyone can do.

When a company like Tesla has a high demand product which does kot need advertising, and production lines are maxed out, an unhappy customer matters little.
True, sire! I do think it's bad customer service but that's Elon for you who fired so many people when he joined Twitter. It was foreseeable. They just did not care. And probably it's the same with every manufacturer, Tesla's are just tracked closely. And because the sales agents don't get paid to sell the cars, they don't give a rats arse. So it's not a good model. At least the dealers were able to lick your balls until you signed on the dotted line and then treated you like crap.

At least the dealers
Yes, friends waiting for the Ford Ranger have been waiting for longer some over a year. And yes you can buy inventory - but at prices inflated above the selling price..At least Tesla does not do that.

Then again why do people believe what car manufacturers and their dealers say?. - even Tesla. It's a recipe for disappointment. Unless it written in the contract what they say is not worth 1 sheet of toilet paper

IMO, when we ordered a Tesla we didn't really enter purchase contract. It was a option to purchase for a price of $400. Some people call it buying a production slot. If you don't exercise the option you lose the $400. The option is (sort of) open dated which mean you could roll it over to another date. It's not like a purchase contract where the standard terms at 10% of the purchase price. .

Last edited:
Reactions: MyPWSyd

@Tee_my bad advertising?. Most people won't care. Those not in the EV car market won't have any sympathy. Those in the EV car market are fans - remember when Tesla has poor build quality?. Did it affect demand?
I can see we are going to disagree on this.
Tesla's estimated dates have been very disconnected from reality. I spoke to Polestar, Cupra, Volvo and BYD before placing my order. They were much more realistic about their ability to deliver different models before EOFY.

I am sorry that you do not believe my account of Tesla telling me my car should arrive in Feb-March, or that they repeatedly assured me of delivery being on-time and before EOFY. There isn't much I can do about that. I was fine taking a delayed delivery in May, I am not fine with it slipping back to the end of June or possibly not even then.

My case is not the worst. Others waited for much longer. I can't speak for what they were told to expect, but many of them clearly weren't expecting the long wait. I do know what I was told.

I pity the people who placed deposits on Model S and X three or four years ago, only to be told they will never come.

So it's not a good model.
It would be proven so when lot more EVs are around (although so far other companies only seem to be profiteering by releasing 'high end' models). The egomaniac will run the company into the ground, and it will be easy pickings for an established player or Private Equity. His Teslavision might lead to someone successfully suing which might hasten this. I am hoping so anyway. Rant over!

The only reason I am buying a Tesla is because of their efficiency (range) and the wait times are half or quarter compared to other manufacturers.

Reactions: (crunch)
Can anyone enlighten me on their order to pick-up experince.. when do you get " your car is on the way message." Is it when it's boarded on the boat in China? Or is it when It docks in Australia? Or do you get a edd date when it docks in Australia?

What is the point of going through the trouble of building into your customer interface a dynamic EDD, if it doesn't mean anything?

Of course it is not guaranteed, but it is there to give the customer a (very) ballpark estimate so plans and decisions can be made. It is not a date, it is a 4 month window, and they made the decision to make it readily available anytime to anyone who logs in to check. Other manufacturers wait times are irrelevant when Tesla offers this up at the point of order

And even if it is wrong, a saavy customer making decisions on the EDD might do as Jon Darian did and build in an additional buffer prior to ordering to represent a +/-1 month deviation of that window. That would still mean delivery by 30 June.

So with a built in buffer of 4 months spanning a third of a year, you would think that would take into account and absorb a shipping delay of 2-3 weeks due to port congestion, plus potential for an "Act of God" event. They know the industry and logistics of it all better than we do, and they have an office here.. to think they are blindsided by the potential for congestion at EOFY is absurd, flat out incompetent, or what I put my money on: "we don't give 2 ducks".

Waiting to build orders all the way back from Oct22 until April is playing with fire, and they will deserve every bit of heat heading to them if those cars don't make it.

estimated dates have been very disconnected from reality.

I don't doubt what Tesla told you, and your reliance on that information. My only point is that all estimated dates are exactly what you said - disconnected from reality irrespective of others can estimate more accurately.

I pity the people who placed deposits on Model S and X three or four years ago, only to be told they will never come.
My other point is that we only ever "order" a vehicle. The T&C allow either party to cancel. They are in a better position with some getting a $3k discount on a 3/Y.

So with a built in buffer of 4 months spanning a third of a year, you would think

The words "You would think" I would respectfully suggest is neither here nor there. It's an expectation based on personal factors (such as how long one is prepared to wait) and maybe the experience of others. None of that is contractually enforceable really meaningless.

I'm not saying that Tesla should not get their estimations into a more accurate position, but if Tesla and Elon's history is anything to go by, it can be easily seen that Elon time is not the same as the standard time.

it doesn't excuse when they choose to batch build, or how infrequent those batch builds are.
As if it matters. Tesla is selling vehicles without advertising, demand is outstripping supply everywhere, why should Australian market matter much when it is a small market overall for the Shanghai factory?

I would like mine before EOFY. Though compared to others I ordered late and can consider myself lucky. Though the cost to me is greater if it were the next EOFY, but I have low expectations. I have purchased many vehicles in my lifetime, never once have I believed the dealer. Whenever the dealers "promised" anything, I tell them to put it in the purchase contract. They never do that which tells me that nothing they say can be relied upon.

Last edited:
The words "You would think" I would respectfully suggest is neither here nor there. It's an expectation based on personal factors (such as how long one is prepared to wait) and maybe the experience of others. None of that is contractually enforceable really meaningless.

I'm not saying that Tesla should not get their estimations into a more accurate position, but if Tesla and Elon's history is anything to go by, it can be easily seen that Elon time is not the same as the standard time.
Substitute "you would think" with "a reasonable expectation".. point remains.

I think everyone here knows there is nothing contractually enforceable with the delivery dates, and I haven't seen anyone suggest such a thing.