Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the whole process sucks
I actually the whole process actually is good apart from the ever changing delivery date. (But that is also currently similar for other manufacturer vehicles as well.)

Everything is done via app. No need to put a deposit down or sign anything. If you change your mind it's only $400. Much better also knowing that everyone pays the same price as you and there is no car dealer bullshit and you won't come away feeling like you have been ripped off. (Apart from maybe the trade in).

Middle finger to all the dodgy car dealers who have been ripping off car owners for years.

Reactions: cafz and LWR15K
I just got my EDD slide backward again. Used to be 23/06 - 8/07, now 26/06 - 11/07. Common Tesla - this is entering the ludicrous realm. 😥
I finally got the schedule your delivery text this evening. I have locked it in for Thursday (22nd). My only fear now is if SGfleet will be able to get the settlement done by Tuesday (48hr Prior). Responsiveness has never been their thing since we started.

1686906011506.png

looks like Grand Eagle finished the delivery and departing in 1 hr to Brisbane

Is there a noticeable difference in appearance/performance to ceramic spray coatings like this - Ceramic spray coating?
These seem to need to be reapplied every 6-12 months but it is an easy diy job

I’m tempted by the ceramic coating which can be had for $795 at Fine Shine in Zetland with a 9 year guarantee but the logical part of me is telling me it’s not worth it and the money is better spent on more washes.
Sorry my hyperlinked text didn’t work for some weird reason - trying again.
Ceramic spray coating Turtle Wax
Thinking of using this from delivery and reapplying it as needed. Thinking of using the Rain X waterless wash for most cleans too. Anyone with experience using either or these?

Any advice on insurance? Allianz (at $1,647/annum) seems to be the best among the quotes I have received so far.
Budget direct is around $1200 but I’m leaning towards GIO Platinum at $2500 for their lifetime new for old replacement - just in case… (supposedly not too hard to write off a BEV - just get into an accident that damages the battery and it’s usually a write off.)

And the word "ceramic" is actually misleading. Your vehicle is not ceramic coated - as in hard as a ceramic pot. Most of it are just silicon dioxide molecules in a liquid suspension. You wanna know what's really silicon dioxide ?. Glass. Now can someone can show me that a rub on or spray on product actually turns into a layer of glass?. No because there are not enough silicon dioxide molecules in the liquid suspension.

Ceramics are materials that are hardened by superheating in an oven.

I'll bet anyone their vehicle is not cooked in an oven

And I'll bet there is nothing in these products that are actually ceramic
There is definitely too much exaggeration in the marketing, and I honestly don't have the experience to know if I am wasting my money, but there was a marked difference between the Meguiar's spray-on ceramic (with Graphene!, which is total bollocks) and the expensive Kamikaze solution.

I tested the Kamikaze on a Kona EV. I learned you have to use a fresh suede cloth if you take any kind of break, because spicules of glass-like substance form in the cloth and are enough to scratch paint. Nothing like that happened with the spray-on stuff.

Both left the paint really slippery. It was quite cool seeing bird droppings that had almost completely failed to stick, and slid right off the car.

The spray-on stayed like that for 1-2 months. The Kamikaze is still as good as the day I put it on. I have no idea how much longer it will last, and whether it offers any protection to the paint other than being easy to clean. For those reasons, I didn't want to pay a lot to have it applied. I dunno, I may still have paid more than it is worth.

I did like being able to treat the wheels, which used to be coated in dust and sticky brake pad dust really badly on my old Mazda. Hopefully the combination of ceramic coating and regenerative braking will minimise that on the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Tmill and Quickst
Hey folks, so it turns out because I won the Elon lottery today .....

....Also, while I'm obviously stoked to get a car much faster than I had anticipated, the whole process sucks and I know so many of you have been waiting for a lot longer than me. It's very unfair.
Yeah, it's very unfair, but that is not  your fault. That's on Tesla's crazy system. I hope you get the paperwork and payment sorted and enjoy the car.

I just got a UMC delivered from Melbourne warehouse and it came with 10A & 15A connectors. Was a freeby bought with a voucher (June last year order date) ordered about three weeks ago but that should not affect what heads you get. Maybe they just have stock of both and its pot luck what you get.
Hi Leconte,
I just wanted to let you know that you appear to have been right. After telling me the 8A/12A tails were the new normal, Tesla have indicated that they are old stock that is/was being cleared. I had a pleasant interaction with one of the Sales support people who was initially confused about what was going on. She tried a few ways to guarantee I would receive 10A/15A tails. In the end, the best she could do was get me to return my UMC for replacement with a random on from the warehouse in the hope that it has 10A/15A tails. She even sent me instructions for how to update the firmware in the hope that I get the right ones this time.

This is one of the few benefits of my car being delayed (actually, I can't think of any others!), I hadn't used my UMC and could return it. Now, I would like the car and UMC to turn up ASAP.

What made you upgrade from RWD to LR?
Question....do people feel ok with the RWD and the probably 350km to 380km normal range from 100% to 0%. In reality, people wont risk the 0% so it will be 300km driveable...

The new iconiq 6 has more like 450 drivable range from what I have read... and 98% on ncap safety and same price...

I feel range is what lets the car down and in 2 years time the RWD will look a bit prehistoric....thoughts?

Reactions: bean2006
Budget direct is around $1200 but I’m leaning towards GIO Platinum at $2500 for their lifetime new for old replacement - just in case… (supposedly not too hard to write off a BEV - just get into an accident that damages the battery and it’s usually a write off.)
NRMA for me with 1500 excess came to 1750 as they gave multi policy discount (CTP will be with NRMA) and loyalty discount (they considered NRMA blue road side assistance as a policy). Others were at 2500 plus for the same cover

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
Question....do people feel ok with the RWD and the probably 350km to 380km normal range from 100% to 0%. In reality, people wont risk the 0% so it will be 300km driveable...

The new iconiq 6 has more like 450 drivable range from what I have read... and 98% on ncap safety and same price...

I feel range is what lets the car down and in 2 years time the RWD will look a bit prehistoric....thoughts?
It will always depend on how you use it.

I have driven a Kona, with similar highway range as a MYRWD, from Brisbane to North Queensland, using QESH chargers, which are almost all limited to 50kW (about 45kW in practice). It was fine, so long as I was willing to take some longer breaks, including one where I took a refreshing 30 minute nap in the air-conditioned car while it charged.

It definitely takes longer, and more planning for highway trips. That said, a Tesla can charge much faster on superchargers and ABRP shows all sorts of routes in NSW and Victoria where a day of driving needs about an hour of charging, most of it in short blocks similar to normal breaks to eat and use the bathroom.

There are inland roads that will be impractical in the MYRWD for the time being due to a lack of charging infrastructure.

Yes, any car bought now is likely to be superceded by the next generation. I reckon I will be envious of people nipping into the fast charger and leaving after 5 minutes while I take 15. But I will still get where I am going in a good time, and it will make no difference at all when I am driving around town.

The thing I am definitely going to envy is V2L, V2H and V2G capability. Being able to stop anywhere and run appliances off the car is such a cool idea. I do wish Tesla hadn't dragged their feet on that.

and I honestly don't have the experience to know if I am wasting my money,
My rule of thumb is that if I'm not sure if I'm wasting money, then I likely am

Everyone has a differerent view of what their acceptable range is. If range is important to you then get one with longer range. RWD won't be prehistoric. Cheaper EV coming in the next few years with smaller batteries with smaller motors. Most people don't need > 200kW motors.

Reactions: Tmill and JonDarian
It will always depend on how you use it.

I have driven a Kona, with similar highway range as a MYRWD, from Brisbane to North Queensland, using QESH chargers, which are almost all limited to 50kW (about 45kW in practice). It was fine, so long as I was willing to take some longer breaks, including one where I took a refreshing 30 minute nap in the air-conditioned car while it charged.

It definitely takes longer, and more planning for highway trips. That said, a Tesla can charge much faster on superchargers and ABRP shows all sorts of routes in NSW and Victoria where a day of driving needs about an hour of charging, most of it in short blocks similar to normal breaks to eat and use the bathroom.

There are inland roads that will be impractical in the MYRWD for the time being due to a lack of charging infrastructure.

Yes, any car bought now is likely to be superceded by the next generation. I reckon I will be envious of people nipping into the fast charger and leaving after 5 minutes while I take 15. But I will still get where I am going in a good time, and it will make no difference at all when I am driving around town.

The thing I am definitely going to envy is V2L, V2H and V2G capability. Being able to stop anywhere and run appliances off the car is such a cool idea. I do wish Tesla hadn't dragged their feet on that.

The odd thing is, the new chargers going in around sydney are all 50kw and some 25kw..very few are above 150kw..I know they exist in places but getting fast charging cars might end up being pointless.

I'll keep the petrol car for long trips, this is going to be a city car...and probably keep for several years as a run around and maybe then you can change a battery on it? who knows...

The one thing about the new hyundais..is they tend to fit smaller people, try getting in one if you are tall.

Getting an electric car that is safe, fits tall folks, can fit a dog in back, isnt expensive (80 plus) and has some reliability and decent reviews..is actually a challenge.