Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I think an important distinction is to nominate which state you have ordered from. Tesla will not reallocate stock between states.

Me:
Vehicle: Model Y
Ordered: Aug 20
EDD August to September

And im stuck waiting..... Any advice and/or anyone else from Victoria waiting for a Model Y with a similar EDD?

Cheers

Hi All,

I think an important distinction is to nominate which state you have ordered from. Tesla will not reallocate stock between states.

Me:
Vehicle: Model Y
Ordered: Aug 20
EDD August to September

And im stuck waiting..... Any advice and/or anyone else from Victoria waiting for a Model Y with a similar EDD?

Cheers
Victorian order here...
Ordered 23/8
EDD still at AUG - SEP

Stock can be reallocated depending on how far along they are.
Vic can pull from SA and TAS inventory and vice versa.
The only exclusion I found to this was one in the TAS inventory that couldn't be moved as it was physically there.

Victorian order here...
Ordered 23/8
EDD still at AUG - SEP

Stock can be reallocated depending on how far along they are.
Vic can pull from SA and TAS inventory and vice versa.
The only exclusion I found to this was one in the TAS inventory that couldn't be moved as it was physically there.
Interesting, I spoke with Tesla a couple of times and they said that inventory wouldn’t be transferred between states…

Interesting, I spoke with Tesla a couple of times and they said that inventory wouldn’t be transferred between states…
My understanding is that if it is physically in that state, you can't but if it's in the pool allocated to Vic, Tas and SA you can.
If you look in the inventory for Vic, most of them have the option to purchase and register in other states.

My understanding is that if it is physically in that state, you can't but if it's in the pool allocated to Vic, Tas and SA you can.
If you look in the inventory for Vic, most of them have the option to purchase and register in other states.
I got the same message when I spoke to Tesla - they can’t NORMALLY reallocate between states. He did advise the one recent exception he was aware of that WA had a bunch of stock that wasn’t moving and had been held for a while, so they moved it to the eastern states.
My guess is in this time of high demand, it’s not commercially worth it for them to move stock around… it will sell itself in reasonable time, and we in the other states or TERRITORIES 🤪 will patiently wait…. and wait…. and wait.

I got the same message when I spoke to Tesla - they can’t NORMALLY reallocate between states. He did advise the one recent exception he was aware of that WA had a bunch of stock that wasn’t moving and had been held for a while, so they moved it to the eastern states.
My guess is in this time of high demand, it’s not commercially worth it for them to move stock around… it will sell itself in reasonable time, and we in the other states or TERRITORIES 🤪 will patiently wait…. and wait…. and wait.
Jump onto the VIC inventory page and have a play around. You will see what I mean.
There are some instances that it can't happen.

1693604609736.png

How can you tell when the vehicle has physically arrived in Australia please?
Put your VIN into the Register of Approved Vehicle Search. If the VIN is recognised, the car carrier it is on arrived at an Australian port on the day or day before it appeared on the register. This does not mean the car has been offloaded, it may still be on the ship but not yet at the intended port. Eg ship arrived at Melbourne but the car is destined for Brisbane

Put your VIN into the Register of Approved Vehicle Search. If the VIN is recognised, the car carrier it is on arrived at an Australian port on the day or day before it appeared on the register. This does not mean the car has been offloaded, it may still be on the ship but not yet at the intended port. Eg ship arrived at Melbourne but the car is destined for Brisbane

Wow, thank you. I hadn’t thought to do that.

Now I just need to get my vin allocated

Likewise received text yesterday to schedule delivery slot.

MYLR Blue
Original timeline was July - Sept

Ordered: 25 June
VIN Assigned: 14 Aug
Arrived in Aus: 25 Aug
Schedule Delivery: 31 Aug
Delivery Window Selection: 11-14 Sept
Must have been exhilarating receiving that text.

I ordered a MYLR Blue in May 2023. I still have an EDD of "delivery date TBD". I don't have a VIN, I don't even have a window of possible delivery.

I've been watching the forums seeing other people order MYLRs after me and receive their cars, or receive EDD's before me (and very excited for them, thinking i'll be coming up next)

The Sydney Tesla Service assistant told me the reason I was seeing this was that these other orders were:
- RWD, or
- they ordered Black MYLRs which were overbuilt, and that
- there's been high demand for the blue and white MYLR.
So my car is still in in the production queue.

So, I've just got to know:
1. Blakphoenix - was your car made to order or was it from inventory?
2. Is anyone else experiencing being stuck on an EDD "TBD" since May or around May 2023?
3. Has any other Sydneysiders ordered a MYLR Blue ext with black int around or after May - and what's the status of your deliveries?

Must have been exhilarating receiving that text.

I ordered a MYLR Blue in May 2023. I still have an EDD of "delivery date TBD". I don't have a VIN, I don't even have a window of possible delivery.

I've been watching the forums seeing other people order MYLRs after me and receive their cars, or receive EDD's before me (and very excited for them, thinking i'll be coming up next)

The Sydney Tesla Service assistant told me the reason I was seeing this was that these other orders were:
- RWD, or
- they ordered Black MYLRs which were overbuilt, and that
- there's been high demand for the blue and white MYLR.
So my car is still in in the production queue.

So, I've just got to know:
1. Blakphoenix - was your car made to order or was it from inventory?
2. Is anyone else experiencing being stuck on an EDD "TBD" since May or around May 2023?
3. Has any other Sydneysiders ordered a MYLR Blue ext with black int around or after May - and what's the status of your deliveries?

It was made to order AFAIK. I did not purchase it from existing inventory. Very strange that your EDD is TBD. I feel like this must be some kind of bug.

was your car made to order or was it from inventory?
FYI Tesla don't "build to order"
For factory and supply line efficiency they build a batch of cars, figure out where they're going (book transport on a ship etc) and then look at outstanding orders in that location to match to.

It's more efficient for Tesla but it does result in the situation you see where people ordering after you get their cars earlier, just because they're either in a different state or because there were more unassigned cars in their specific configuration.

where people ordering after you get their cars earlier
@VicT85
they batch build especially as the AU market is RHD - and I suspect the batches might be subbatched according to model/options/colour?? - whatever makes their factory process efficient. It may also be that they build the order book and will build the batch/s only when there are enough orders in the batch/s
Or both cars might be on the same ship but the ship car carrier arrives at their port first rather than yours, Or the car was last on to the ship and likely first off
Many reasons....