Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone organised some sort of charging and accessories yet ? We decided to go with a tesla wall charger and got the rear boot liner and some of those little bucket things.
anyway it turned up in like 2 days. So i got a charger now and no car!
I also ordered the Wall Charger.. Expected to arrive by Wednesday and having it installed this weekend.

Been considering getting the floor mats, center console organisers and the frunk/trunk liners as well, but will possibly wait until the car arrives.

Same with aftermarket hubcaps, will wait as well. Was a last minute decision to take off the 20" Wheels and keep the Gemini's.. Was thinking I might powdercoat the 19's Black and keep the standard hubcaps or even aftermarket ones for long distance trips.. (better range)

anyone organised some sort of charging and accessories yet ? We decided to go with a tesla wall charger and got the rear boot liner and some of those little bucket things.
anyway it turned up in like 2 days. So i got a charger now and no car!

Ordered my wall charger & mobile charger in July (car is coming in Sep).
Need to upgrade single phase to three phase at home. This gonna cost close to 6k (including wall charger installation) ...
Maybe check if you have 3 phase at home?

I also ordered the Wall Charger.. Expected to arrive by Wednesday and having it installed this weekend.

Been considering getting the floor mats, center console organisers and the frunk/trunk liners as well, but will possibly wait until the car arrives.

Same with aftermarket hubcaps, will wait as well. Was a last minute decision to take off the 20" Wheels and keep the Gemini's.. Was thinking I might powdercoat the 19's Black and keep the standard hubcaps or even aftermarket ones for long distance trips.. (better range)

I am looking into S3XY new nob. seems to be useful.
Anyone tried their buttons?

https://enhauto.com/knob

To me, no need to change battery is a huge plus.

Need to upgrade single phase to three phase at home. This gonna cost close to 6k (including wall charger installation) ...
You don't need to have three-phase to install the wall charger, it'll work on single-phase up to 32A as well (just not as fast - 7kW rather than 11kW).

You don't need to have three-phase to install the wall charger, it'll work on single-phase up to 32A as well (just not as fast - 7kW rather than 11kW).
Has anyone done any calculations on the benefits of going with a Single phase install versus Three phase when you have a smaller.. say 6.25KW Solar System...

I was thinking even though I have Three Phase available, would I be better going with a slower charging system so I can reduce my pull from the grid and just expand out the time it takes to charge.. Anyone had similar thoughts?

Last edited:
Has anyone done any calculations on the benefits of going with a Single phase install versus Three phase when you have a smaller.. say 6.25KW Solar System...

I was thinking even though I have Three Phase available, would I be better going with a slower charging system so I can reduce my pull from the grid and just expand out the time it takes to charge.. Anyone had similar thoughts?
Depending on your inverter, have you thought of using ChargeHQ? You'll definitely pull more than your generation, I think even in a single phase setup.

done any calculations on the benefits of going
So aim is to minimise electrons coming from grid for a 6.25kW array

I think the lowest charging current the vehicle will accept is 5A.

A Gen 3 charger 3phase cannot charge below 3.4kW (230V x5A x3p)
A Gen3 charger or UMC 1 phase cannot charge below 1.1kW (230V x5A x1p)

Both a Gen 3 or UMC 1 phase can charge at 7.3kW using 32A - which is more than what your solar panels can provide.

It really depends on what your house is using and therefore what "spare" solar you have.

Below are calculations - TL;DR
Basically in order to limit the amount of grid electricity during solar charging, get a 15A circuit and a single phase charger
Also you will not be able to fully charge using solar with a 6.25kW solar array. Maybe (depending on the calculations) only 50% of the weekly km if you drive 20,000km per year and drive 5 days a week

The other calculation is this:
Lets say you drive 20,000km per year and you drive the car 5 days a week
Daily km will be: 20,000/52/5 = 77km per day

Most M3/7 daily driving consumes about 150Wh/km
Lets say its 155Wh/km
77km x 155Wh x1000 = 12kWh

Lets now say that your 6.25kW array generates during winter the equivalent of 4hs of peak solar hours.
(Peak solar hours = the maximum generation a solar array can do in 1hr)
That is to say it generates during a typical winter day 6.25kW x4h = 25kWh
Summer would be typically 6.25kW x7hrs = 43.75kW

Lets now say that only 50% is available for charging as the rest is used up by the house.
25 x0.5 = 12.5kWh

And let's assume the 12.5kWh is available over 6hrs from 9-3pm
12.5kW /6 = 2kW
But note the generation is more at midday that at the shoulder hours.
But lets assume its an even 2kWh between 9-3pm

Basically in winter assuming 50% available for charging car without drawing from grid, you will need a charger capable of 2 to 3kW charging rate.
3000W/230V = 13A

In summer you can charge at a higher rate
Doing the same sums you will need a charger that can do a charging rate of (43.75/2/6 = 15A)

That means all you really need is a 15A circuit.

UMC is more than capable of that - and not only that, it is portable unlike a Gen 3 charger. However a 3phase Gen 3 will not be able to do less than 5A x3 = 15A. In winter the UMC will be able to draw less than the minimum a 3 phase Gen 3 can do.

But the real elephant in the room is this:
The above assumes you can charge your car daily from solar - meaning that it is at home when the sun shines.
You will not be able to fully charge your vehicle from solar once a week on the weekend using a 6.25kW solar array.

Lets say you drive 77km 5 days a week and only charge on Saturday AND Sunday
77x5 = 385km
385 * 155Wh x1000 = 60kWh

Over 2 days = 30kWh per day charging
you will need a much larger solar array to be able to do 30kWh charging per day
Assuming you use 50% of 6.25kW for household
6.25*0.5 = 3.125kW for household
x4 peak solar hrs in winter = 3.125*4 = 12.5kWh

30kWh for charging car + 12.5kWh for household use = 42.5 kWh per day
Divide by 4 peak solar hours per day = 10.6kW

Basically you need something like 10.6kW solar panels to fully charge the car over Saturday AND Sunday in winter using only solar electricity assuming all of the above and the car is not available during the week for solar charging

The other way of saying this is that with a 6.25kW solar array, Saturday and Sunday charging and assuming 3kW of solar is used by house, the most you can add in terms of km in winter is

30kWh x1000 divide by 155Wh/km = 193km
Enough for 38km per day 5 days a week

Smart charging apps such as ChargeHq will be able to finesse the charging rates (current = amps) minute to minute but thats all it can do. The limitation remains the amount the solar panels can generate

Play around with the variables which are:

kWh that your house uses per day in winter
peak solar hours in winter. Generally it is 4hrs for Sydney.
Wh/km energy consumption per km for your Tesla

Last edited:
So aim is to minimise electrons coming from grid for a 6.25kW array

Both a Gen 3 or UMC 1 phase can charge at 7.3kW using 32A - which is more than what your solar panels can provide.

It really depends on what your house is using and therefore what "spare" solar you have.

Below are calculations - TL;DR
Basically in order to limit the amount of grid electricity during solar charging, get a 15A circuit and a single phase charger
Also you will not be able to fully charge using solar with a 6.25kW solar array. Maybe (depending on the calculations) only 50% of the weekly km if you drive 20,000km per year and drive 5 days a week

The other calculation is this:
Lets say you drive 20,000km per year and you drive the car 5 days a week
Daily km will be: 20,000/52/5 = 77km per day

Most M3/7 daily driving consumes about 150Wh/km
Lets say its 155Wh/km
77km x 155Wh x1000 = 12kWh

Lets now say that your 6.25kW array generates during winter the equivalent of 4hs of peak solar hours.
(Peak solar hours = the maximum generation a solar array can do in 1hr)
That is to say it generates during a typical winter day 6.25kW x4h = 25kWh
Summer would be typically 6.25kW x7hrs = 43.75kW

Lets now say that only 50% is available for charging as the rest is used up by the house.
25 x0.5 = 12.5kWh

And let's assume the 12.5kWh is available over 6hrs from 9-3pm
12.5kW /6 = 2kW
But note the generation is more at midday that at the shoulder hours.
But lets assume its an even 2kWh between 9-3pm

Basically in winter assuming 50% available for charging car without drawing from grid, you will need a charger capable of 2 to 3kW charging rate.
3000W/230V = 13A

In summer you can charge at a higher rate
Doing the same sums you will need a charger that can do a charging rate of (43.75/2/6 = 15A)

That means all you really need is a 15A circuit.

UMC is more than capable of that - and not only that, it is portable unlike a Gen 3 charger. However a 3phase Gen 3 will not be able to do less than 5A x3 = 15A. In winter the UMC will be able to draw less than the minimum a 3 phase Gen 3 can do.

But the real elephant in the room is this:
The above assumes you can charge your car daily from solar - meaning that it is at home when the sun shines.
You will not be able to fully charge your vehicle from solar once a week on the weekend using a 6.25kW solar array.

Lets say you drive 77km 5 days a week and only charge on Saturday AND Sunday
77x5 = 385km
385 * 155Wh x1000 = 60kWh

Over 2 days = 30kWh per day charging
you will need a much larger solar array to be able to do 30kWh charging per day
Assuming you use 50% of 6.25kW for household
6.25*0.5 = 3.125kW for household
x4 peak solar hrs in winter = 3.125*4 = 12.5kWh

30kWh for charging car + 12.5kWh for household use = 42.5 kWh per day
Divide by 4 peak solar hours per day = 10.6kW

Basically you need something like 10.6kW solar panels to fully charge the car over Saturday AND Sunday in winter using only solar electricity assuming all of the above and the car is not available during the week for solar charging

The other way of saying this is that with a 6.25kW solar array, Saturday and Sunday charging and assuming 3kW of solar is used by house, the most you can add in terms of km in winter is

30kWh x1000 divide by 155Wh/km = 193km
Enough for 38km per day 5 days a week

Smart charging apps such as ChargeHq will be able to finesse the charging rates (current = amps) minute to minute but thats all it can do. The limitation remains the amount the solar panels can generate

Play around with the variables which are:

kWh that your house uses per day in winter
peak solar hours in winter. Generally it is 4hrs for Sydney.
Wh/km energy consumption per km for your Tesla
Yeah wow, thanks mate... Some really good workings in the above... Definitely will need to sit down and review it further to really sus out how to make it most worthwhile for me... 99% of the time I'm working from home, so generally charging mon-fri during the day wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again... Will look back over my Solar monitoring system and dig out some reports and see what I'm really exporting hourly etc..

Cheers.

99% of the time I'm working from home, so generally charging mon-fri during the day wouldn't be an issue.
Excellent, then you will have no problems as it sounds like you wont be driving 20,000km per year.

Im thinking you will have circa 12.5kWh per day during winter available for charging

15A circuit single phase charger will be more than adequate in winter and summer.
But remember the UMC can reduce charging rate below what the 3 phase Gen 3 can achieve (if minimising grid draw is important)

Reactions: SeanyB-BBQ
We only have single, Im going to get the wall charger put on low current though. If you have a browse through the manual, the charger can figure out what current the circuit breaker is set too, when you commision the charger also you can assign what current the breaker is set too and it will step down. MIght get ours set at 40amp. It can take upto 60amp which is 11kw.

We also have a 10amp GPO available to plugin, which during sunlight hours charge off this as to not over run the house usage and syphon off excess solar.

MIght get ours set at 40amp. It can take up to 60amp which is 11kw.
Not in Australia
In Australia the max configurable current is only 32A for single phase
32A x230V = 7.3kW
Both a UMC and Gen 3 single phase can do this. But not any more if single phase.

If you want 11kW, 3phase is necessary

Also in premises with single phase the main service fuse in the mains box is 63A. No electrician will install a 40A circuit in a house where the service fuse is 63A in Australia

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 12.46.02 pm.png

Not in Australia
In Australia the max configurable current is only 32A for single phase
32A x230V = 7.3kW
Both a UMC and Gen 3 single phase can do this. But not any more if single phase.

If you want 11kW, 3phase is necessary

Also in premises with single phase the main service fuse in the mains box is 63A. No electrician will install a 40A circuit in a house where the service fuse is 63A in Australia
Ah good to know!

Tesla M3/Y can only accept up to 11kW charge
You will need a 16A 3 phase circuit to do this..
Well we are thinking about getting 3 phase put in. However we have figured out also we need a tad bit more than what a GPO can offer for a few times a week (mainly over night charge). We do have quite an abundance of DC chargers around if we really get stuck also.

Should work out fine.

Reactions: Quickst

The lowest level that the Tesla app interface will allow you to set is 5A. If you use the API calls directly, or via a third party like ChargeHQ, you can set the amps down to 1A (or at least down to 2A can't recall offhand but have tested before) per phase. For single phase setting down as low as 1A is only really useful with some form of automated solar tracking and only being kept there briefly, i.e. waiting out some clouds dropping solar production temporarily. Leaving it at 1A during such events can help reduce contactor wear and be able to resume a higher charge as solar conditions change more quickly, but at 1A is will not be adding any significant charge to the battery due to overhead losses in the charging process.

In addition to the absolutely stellar post from Quickest, and just for other owners from Queensland who might read this (the OP is from NSW):
The maximum charge you can use on single phase is currently 20 amps, or about 4.8kW, unless you connect to a controlled tariff (where the network can turn it off for up to 6 hours per day (typically during peak consumption hours). This is due to rules set by Ergon and Energex, and applies regardless of whether you are using a wall charger or a UMC-with-32-amp-tail. The only way to charge at over 4.8kW at home on an uncontrolled tariff (like tariff 11) is to use a three-phase connection (and therefore wall charger) for now.

• Informative