Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone able to share when you find out what your rego plate will be? I am collecting on Saturday and it isnt in account or on any paperwork that I can see.
I asked the same question to Tesla and was told they don’t register them until day before pickup… and tbh that makes sense. All my other leased cars the rego ended up being due the day before insurance, so they’ve been registered the day before pickup.

I presume you completed the rego form they sent you already?

I asked the same question to Tesla and was told they don’t register them until day before pickup… and tbh that makes sense. All my other leased cars the rego ended up being due the day before insurance, so they’ve been registered the day before pickup.

I presume you completed the rego form they sent you already?
Yes, all completed. Good point,that does make sense. I'll wait till I see it guess and add it to insurance later. No drama to do insurance through the VIN

I think insurance has gone up a lot for all vehicles. My 2021 Model 3 LR was written off last month (Speeding driver in a corolla came over the top of a roundabout to T bone me at 80k in a school zone no less). I was insured with GIO platinum (2k a year with 3k excess).

GIO was really good to deal with and paid me out the value of a new model 3 highland with onroads. Same insureance and excess will be 2.5k on the Model YLR for me.
Sorry to hear about that. An 80kph collision is no joke. I hope you were unharmed, even if the car was wrecked.

Reactions: MrMister
I think GC got to Brissy around 23rd Oct. docked and started unload. Then we got the notice on 1st Nov of the stink bugs issue. So yes will be a month by end of this week. With no progress in sight at this stage.
NSW Port Authority has slipped arrival of GC from 14 Nov to 18 Nov. I suspect 18 Nov is just a placeholder for now.

From what I read on the biosecurity website, the quarantine period is typically 4 weeks. So perhaps end Nov until it can head back into Brisbane Port given stinkbugs announced 1 Nov.

Reactions: xerb
NSW Port Authority has slipped arrival of GC from 14 Nov to 18 Nov. I suspect 18 Nov is just a placeholder for now.

Yep definitely seems like a placeholder, it was 10 Nov before that, and each time has shown an arrival time of 4am (whereas QLD ports seems to use 12:34pm as a placeholder time). It seems to move back in increments of 4 days, changing the day before. I suspect they need some arrival date entered to keep that voyage in the roster, even if they don't know what it is yet.

Reactions: MrMister
Same question here. RACV quoted me about $2k/yr for my MYLR. And I'm old!
Same for me. I'm a gold member so get 15% discount plus multi insurance discount. At 60 yrs of age with an exemplary history and a $70k car value full comp with windscreen replacement and hire car if incident not my fault, RACV wanted approx $2400 with $1k excess. Other providers I've check want around $3k+. I'll probably stick with RACV as they've been good in the past.

Last edited:
They all sting you because it’s different!

I’m doing mine through the leasing company.. they used to use Allianz but just switched to Vero.. have better coverage (eg 3 years new for old)… it’s about $2.5k (LR)… but it comes out pre-tax so will end up costing me less in real terms.
Lease company has a vested interest in Vero as I understand it. It’s to the lease company’s benefit to send you in that direction- like everything else they try to squeeze you for. They have zero interest in anything other than making money, so whatever you pay Vero, there is a nice piece on top for the lease company.

You can also have the leasing company include a pre tax component for other insurance - so you can insure through Allianz, RACV etc pre-tax as well. Just need to ask them to include $x amount in the package. You may have to ask multiple times - don’t know if it’s a strategy, or just the particular representative I had, but I had to ask four times in emails to take off Vero.

I went through NRMA as it was about $800 cheaper than Vero for the same inclusions.

I also wouldn’t use Vero again after previous experience with last lease car - poor, unresponsive, slow customer service. Wanted excess paid for a no fault claim where the other party admitted full liability, before they would follow up and action the claim. In the end had to push the lease company to push Vero. All up about 4 months to resolve a fairly simple inexpensive claim.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
Same for me. I'm a gold member so get 15% discount plus multi insurance discount. At 60 yrs of age with an exemplary history and a $70k car value full comp with windscreen replacement and hire car if incident not my fault, RACV wanted approx $2400 with $1k excess. Other providers I've check want around $3k+. I'll probably stick with RACV as they've been good in the past.
I can’t believe the variability with the different quotes everyone is seeing. Mine for MYLR came in at just under $1500 per annum, with $1k excess, full glass, choice of repairer, garaged overnight, parked in car park on work days and 20k km a year. Other quotes ranged from $1600 to $2500 for same.

Lease company has a vested interest in Vero as I understand it. It’s to the lease company’s benefit to send you in that direction- like everything else they try to squeeze you for. They have zero interest in anything other than making money, so whatever you pay Vero, there is a nice piece on top for the lease company.

You can also have the leasing company include a pre tax component for other insurance - so you can insure through Allianz, RACV etc pre-tax as well. Just need to ask them to include $x amount in the package. You may have to ask multiple times - don’t know if it’s a strategy, or just the particular representative I had, but I had to ask four times in emails to take off Vero.

I went through NRMA as it was about $800 cheaper than Vero for the same inclusions.

I also wouldn’t use Vero again after previous experience with last lease car - poor, unresponsive, slow customer service. Wanted excess paid for a no fault claim where the other party admitted full liability, before they would follow up and action the claim. In the end had to push the lease company to push Vero. All up about 4 months to resolve a fairly simple inexpensive claim.
Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Taxy
If that is the case, I would cancel my current order and hold out for the refreshed Model Y.
I've considered doing this - but getting the car via novated lease and the invoice has already been paid.. so the person I emailed at the leasing company thought there would be cancellation charges (but wasn't sure and I didn't enquire further). I would of course lose the $400 order fee and won't requalify for the $750 referral discount either (+3 months enhanced autopilot).

And there's no guarantee the same issue won't happen with the second shipment....

I've considered doing this - but getting the car via novated lease and the invoice has already been paid.. so the person I emailed at the leasing company thought there would be cancellation charges (but wasn't sure and I didn't enquire further). I would of course lose the $400 order fee and won't requalify for the $750 referral discount either (+3 months enhanced autopilot).

And there's no guarantee the same issue won't happen with the second shipment....
If we always hold out for the next almost released latest tech, we will be waiting perpetually. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet knowing you’ve had some hiccups to get there and are not on the very latest.

The bleeding edge is not always what it’s cracked up to be. Trust me I’ve been in the IT industry for 35 years (yes I am OLD!) and you may well be better off for staying with the not quite latest (n-1) and let others work the bugs out 😀

I spoke with Tesla and they said cars on the Glovis Caravel and those living in Sydney are getting it delivered at the end of the EDD, the stinkbug issue should be resolved in a few and should be in Port Kembla before the 25th, if not, they might recall the ship back to Shangai and send us the HW4 version (hoping that ship doesnt get infested with sthink bugs)
Did Tesla literally say they would send a HW4 version or it is your assumption?

Reactions: BareFeetTom
If we always hold out for the next almost released latest tech, we will be waiting perpetually. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet knowing you’ve had some hiccups to get there and are not on the very latest.

The bleeding edge is not always what it’s cracked up to be. Trust me I’ve been in the IT industry for 35 years (yes I am OLD!) and you may well be better off for staying with the not quite latest (n-1) and let others work the bugs out 😀
Absolutely agreed. I'm IT for 15 years now and I tried to stay on the cutting edge for my home and work systems for about 5 years. So much money spent trying to keep only for it to be surpassed in just a year or so. Now I've changed my mindset and just get what I need, and realised that even my current tech which is a generation behind is more stable and does the job perfectly. Same mindset here with the Tesla. We can keep waiting for the next iteration but there will always be a new model on the horizon.

This current model has the indicator stalks. If Juniper goes the way of M3 Highlander, I'm happy to jump in now.

Reactions: MrMister and elddum

Good assessment, we would loose out a bit $$ if we decide to cancel orders. It will get here eventually and we will get our cars. Just need to keep (frustratingly) track GC cutting laps off the coast. I was more interested to know what would happen if they send GC back and we didn’t cancel our orders.

I was more interested to know what would happen if they send GC back and we didn’t cancel our orders.

So was this an actual quote from a Tesla rep, that they're considering sending the ship back if it cannot pass quarantine?

I am very curious what would happen then.

Would the vehicles be replaced if they had stinkbugs infesting them? Or would they be reloaded into a new ship and sent back to Australia?

Would we be fair in asking for compensation for that? I'm unsure as it's not Tesla's fault. Still, perhaps some premium connectivity or Enhanced Autopilot?

Still, I have had no change to my EDD so Tesla is still confident they can deliver by the end of that timeframe.

We shall continue to wait. I've basically made this forum my home now. It's quite comfy.