Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not with SG Fleet so i cant comment on there practice but usually payment is only done to the car dealer a few days or the day before collection,
I Activated my Settlement now as the loan interest rate was going to increase on the 14th so i wanted to get in Earlier, I Usually keep my cars at the end of the loan term and give it to my family getting rid of the oldest car we own.

The Loan Repayments for my lease are deferred by a month or 2 so for a 3 year (36month) lease the loan repayments are 34 or 35 months so the leasing company has funds in my Account to cover other payments at the start of the lease.
Yeah every car I’ve leased I’ve never had to pay for the incoming car before I’ve taken delivery, the last one was delayed by 2 pay cycles so I had the car before I started paying for it. Only hiccup was using the fuel cards but I claimed that back retrospectively .

Reactions: Jules22
Yeah every car I’ve leased I’ve never had to pay for the incoming car before I’ve taken delivery, the last one was delayed by 2 pay cycles so I had the car before I started paying for it. Only hiccup was using the fuel cards but I claimed that back retrospectively .
Yes but normally the lease company pays for the vehicle once you are happy and accept the vehicle. Tesla’s sales process where you are the middle man between them and the leasing company is not the same.

Reactions: dronus
Just did some googling and noticed Glovis has now docked in Brisbane and is scheduled to dock in Port Kembla NSW on Saturday morning before heading to Melbourne … I have had delivery date updated to 11 Dec to 1 Jan but surely we would be getting our cars before then ?
The cars have to be import-processed and then transported to the delivery centre - these steps can only process so many cars a day (as can the delivery centre itself).

I spoke to a Telsa rep in Melbourne the other day after our EDD was pushed to 8 Dec-29 Dec.
They advised that they had spoken with the port authority and expect deliveries for Melbourne being towards the beginning of the new EDD, not the end.
Given that, Sydney would be late NOV, early DEC.
That's what I thought too, given everything goes as plan. They gave a longer EDD to be conservative I believe.
Honestly, I understand the issue with biosecurity is out of their control, but the system they operate is frustrating & could be better. They assigned a vehicle & VIN as soon as it's on boards from China. If anything happens with the ship, it caused significantly delay to customers. Obviously, it's also unfair when some orders are weeks/months earlier but receiving their delivery way later; we saw someone waiting for many months and some others receive in 1-2 weeks. They better assign when it lands in Australia, first in first out basis to make it fair for everyone. Apparently, based on what we observe so far, from the time it lands to delivery date; it's normally another 1-3 weeks which is more than enough for paperwork & financing. I believe more than 50% of orders are similar, not many choices from the options actually. So it's very easy for them to allocate to the next customers in case one is not ready yet.

Reactions: thecasualplaya
That's what I thought too, given everything goes as plan. They gave a longer EDD to be conservative I believe.
Honestly, I understand the issue with biosecurity is out of their control, but the system they operate is frustrating & could be better. They assigned a vehicle & VIN as soon as it's on boards from China. If anything happens with the ship, it caused significantly delay to customers. Obviously, it's also unfair when some orders are weeks/months earlier but receiving their delivery way later; we saw someone waiting for many months and some others receive in 1-2 weeks. They better assign when it lands in Australia, first in first out basis to make it fair for everyone. Apparently, based on what we observe so far, from the time it lands to delivery date; it's normally another 1-3 weeks which is more than enough for paperwork & financing. I believe more than 50% of orders are similar, not many choices from the options actually. So it's very easy for them to allocate to the next customers in case one is not ready yet.
They also chose to use a ship that already had a chequered history with regard to biosecurity.

In my case, it’s 4 weeks wait since landing in Australia. I ordered a black car, I’m going to be pissed if it’s been sitting outside\ haphazardly cleaned and has any paint swirls.

Last edited:
They also chose to use a ship that already had a chequered history with regard to biosecurity.

In my case, it’s 4 weeks wait since landing in Australia. I ordered a black car, I’m going to be pissed if it’s been sitting outside\ haphazardly cleaned and has any paint swirls.
Exactly, this Glovis Caravel did have some bad records about biosecurity before in NZ, probably they don't have many choices, really. The waiting time between placing an order to be assigned a vehicle isn't as stressful & frustrated as we actually know it and following up the vessel. They shouldn't assign it too early like this to be fairer, less hassle for them too, when people keep calling and chasing them everyday for the delay & unfair delivery time, especially for the exact same configuration (white car, black seat, and Gemini for example; maybe more than 30-40% of orders like this I guess). This system apparently causes financial lost to customers: interests increase, they stuck in between selling their old car (the longer the delay the higher odo & less value, not to mention more petrol to keep running), if they sell too early, they don't have a car to use, some jobs car is a must.

Had an interesting day at Tesla Parramatta NSW showroom today. One of the consultant over the phone was asking the customer not to yell at him, which was an indication there are lots of frustrated people out there waiting for delivery.
Q. How long does it take once GC arrives in Port Kembla.
Tesla. Couple of weeks
Q. Couple of weeks can be a long time, is there specific weeks.
Tesla. No, couple of weeks.
Q. Once it gets to Alexandria or Chatswood, how long then for delivery.
Tesla. In few days.
Q. Will there be any compensation such as 3 to 6 months free super charging for all the mayhem.
Tesla. No, this delay was out of our hands so there will be none.
Q. Even with your lack of communication, not being told when delivery dates suddenly changed on the App.
Tesla. Sorry no compensations.
Q. So how are the deliveries arranged, accordingly to dates of order from the customers.
Tesla. No, it really depends on where the vehicle is logistically arranged on the ship.
Q. So, the cars are delayed for biosecurity reasons and its been out in the sea for additional weeks. Can you ensure they are spotlessly cleaned.
Tesla. Yep, Yep, Yep.
Q. Are you writing this down, you're not taking any notes.
Tesla. We will, since you have visited the showroom.

Hope the cars on GC are spotlessly cleaned on delivery day and there's no further disappointments along the way.
Happy ownership....

Reactions: MrMister
Had an interesting day at Tesla Parramatta NSW showroom today. One of the consultant over the phone was asking the customer not to yell at him, which was an indication there are lots of frustrated people out there waiting for delivery.

Hope the cars on GC are spotlessly cleaned on delivery day and there's no further disappointments along the way.
Happy ownership....
I can see both sides, it's frustrating but they are also caught in the middle, likely with very little information and a lot of very impatient customers.

MY was on the GC. I took delivery on Saturday and I had to give it a bit of a clean at home. Not a big deal. I have a feeling they're going to rush these out.
It's not a big deal if you don't think about how much you're paying for this car. I've bought much cheaper cars in the past with much better service and communication, and the thought of not receiving a spotless car was unthinkable.

But we do have to remember that we've purchased directly from the manufacturer, and there is no 'dealer' in the middle to smooth things over (and take a cut). The delivery centers are just that - they do not get a commission and have no real interest in your business. This means you won't get a comparable EV at this price, which is probably why we bought one in the first place.

However, the experience has left me 95% sure that this will be my first and final Tesla, unless something changes.

I'm going to take a break from stalking the GC for a few days and obsess over life's other first-world problems (like, has everyone here even thought about getting a charger installed? - I haven't done anything).

Reactions: Way69
I'm going to take a break from stalking the GC for a few days and obsess over life's other first-world problems (like, has everyone here even thought about getting a charger installed? - I haven't done anything).

My Wall Connector was installed on Monday.
I have it covered with a towel at the moment because looking at it, knowing I need to wait even longer now for the car makes me sad.

I'm a defence member and live in a service residence, so no wall charger for me. It's basically like a rental but heavily subsidised.

I've read through the past day's worth of posts and it looks like the GC may be finally continuing its schedule, which is nice. We may end up with a delivery in early December.

There of course has been frustration in this, but to put in perspective, I don't know anyone except Tesla buyers who track the ship - probably because Tesla gives us that information.

If we were none the wiser, and it arrived at the tail end of our original EDD (16 NOV - 7 DEC for Sydney) then outside of some minor disappointment for not getting it immediately, we would have nothing to complain about.

I am very much hoping the cars are properly cleaned prior to delivery. I feel that's a big one for a new car purchase regardless of who you buy it from. I'll be taking delivery in Alexandria and will be inspecting for this particularly.

Best of luck everyone and thanks for the updates.

I'm a defence member and live in a service residence, so no wall charger for me. It's basically like a rental but heavily subsidised.
I've found DHA are normally pretty good with that sort of stuff, especially if it's in the garage, but may not be worth the expense depending on how much longer till next posting.

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm RA with serving members who own the house. I probably would have just gone for the mobile connector and charge off 240v which for the average km's I do would have been fine. I was lucky though that they had a Tesla here previously and left all of the bits up to the isolation switch, so it was very cheap and easy to install a wall connector.

Reactions: dronus
I've found DHA are normally pretty good with that sort of stuff, especially if it's in the garage, but may not be worth the expense depending on how much longer till next posting.

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm RA with serving members who own the house. I probably would have just gone for the mobile connector and charge off 240v which for the average km's I do would have been fine. I was lucky though that they had a Tesla here previously and left all of the bits up to the isolation switch, so it was very cheap and easy to install a wall connector.
More or less, even if I can, I don't think I want to spend the money to install it into someone else's home.

Q. How long does it take once GC arrives in Port Kembla.
Tesla. Couple of weeks
Q. Couple of weeks can be a long time, is there specific weeks.
Tesla. No, couple of weeks.
Q. Once it gets to Alexandria or Chatswood, how long then for delivery.
Tesla. In few days.
Q. Will there be any compensation such as 3 to 6 months free super charging for all the mayhem.
Tesla. No, this delay was out of our hands so there will be none.
Q. Even with your lack of communication, not being told when delivery dates suddenly changed on the App.
Tesla. Sorry no compensations.
Q. So how are the deliveries arranged, accordingly to dates of order from the customers.
Tesla. No, it really depends on where the vehicle is logistically arranged on the ship.
Q. So, the cars are delayed for biosecurity reasons and its been out in the sea for additional weeks. Can you ensure they are spotlessly cleaned.
Tesla. Yep, Yep, Yep.
Q. Are you writing this down, you're not taking any notes.
Tesla. We will, since you have visited the showroom.

Happy ownership....
One thing I noticed and I am sure alot have. These consultants are Tesla Sales Advisors. They are not "Sales". They do not get commission whether you buy or cancel therefore, they have no need to take any bullshit when it comes to customer service.

Obviously part of their job is to ensure customer satisfaction but having to yell at one, knowing this is a AUSTRALIA BIOSECURITY MEASURE and not Tesla, is just pure ignorance on that customer part.

I think they can do better with their VIN allocation for sure. They should really change their system to assign/allocate when the vehicle is in the country instead of from China. This will solve all this waiting problem. GC vehicles can just sit offshore for 6 months and it will not impact others. Especially if 3 ships have now come and gone and GC was the 1st to arrive.