Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely it can't take that long to get Stinky McStinkface fumigated and docked.

If they were really sure it was going to there's always hope that they've managed to sneak a few MY's onto one of the ships that are on their way now. Morning Crystal has just left Shanghai in the last hour or so with what we hope (through pure speculation and educated guess work) is the first delivery of new M3's, it's due on 7 Dec.

I got my final invoice today.

I also have the same question about the license plate. My invoice says ‘standard’, I want the black slim ones.

I asked Tesla and received this answer. They don't actually say White-on-Black or Black-on-White, but they ar e slimline plates.

1700974886783.png

Reactions: cacsmc
Right, so, according to your source;
> Another month delay
> No point cancelling as there's no other ships until that point anyway.
> No compensation.
> Lol bad luck mate.

Not to denounce your sources or anything, but you seem to have a lot of friends in places relating to this. I am at the point of just waiting on official news if it ever comes..
In saying that, the silver/white looking more tempting now 🤣 or just cancel and get the refresh if that ever releases.
the odd thing is, when i spoke to someone from Alexandria, the guy said the bug is actually from food container that holds the whole vessel up to this state. So kind a trust and no trust to whatever they say. Its a food container in car vessel? Probably they had too much pressure people asking about GC.

There's so much misinformation spreading about this matter now. I've kind of given up. The car will come, but if it goes out to February and/or the refresh becomes available, I'm cancelling.

All we know for 100% certain is that it's a bio quarantine event, most certainly due to stinkbug, and Stinky McBugface Stinkship is a poo poo smelly boi with no friends.

There's so much misinformation spreading about this matter now. I've kind of given up. The car will come, but if it goes out to February and/or the refresh becomes available, I'm cancelling.

All we know for 100% certain is that it's a bio quarantine event, most certainly due to stinkbug, and Stinky McBugface Stinkship is a poo poo smelly boi with no friends.
Yep hard to say what is real. If Tesla is aware of another 2 week delay before the next inspection as being claimed they should at least push our EDDs out. Mine is 8-29 which isn’t happening if that’s real. Getting pretty ridiculous at this point. If you order today you’ll probably get one sooner than GC.

I'm With you on this one Even though it would cost me a few K Extra do to government incentives changes i would most likely wait for the new Version

Yeah. This guys story has changed about 5 times at this stage. Think he’s just making stuff up at this stage.
> Another month delay
> No compensation.
> Lol bad luck mate.

Not to denounce your sources or anything, but you seem to have a lot of friends in places relating to this. I am at the point of just waiting on official news if it ever comes..
In saying that, the silver/white looking more tempting now 🤣 or just cancel and get the refresh if that ever releases.

I'm With you on this one Even though it would cost me a few K Extra do to government incentives changes i would most likely wait for the new Version
I am thinking the same. I didn’t get gov rebate and if I have to pay stamp duty for newer versions I will be fine with that. My current EDD is 24 Dec - 14 Jan. If that is pushed back again, I will cancel my order. I will re-order but the updated version.

> Another month delay
> No compensation.
> Lol bad luck mate.

I am thinking the same. I didn’t get gov rebate and if I have to pay stamp duty for newer versions I will be fine with that. My current EDD is 24 Dec - 14 Jan. If that is pushed back again, I will cancel my order. I will re-order but the updated version.
What updated version?

The update has only been released in China so far but we're speculating that it will come us as our cars are also manufactured at the Shanghai facility.
The updates include:
- A slightly reworked interior to match the M3 Highland - textile trim instead of wood/white plastic and an RGB light strip.
- Black Gemini wheel covers instead of silver
- A battery range increase of about 5-10%
- An increase in acceleration on the RWD, 0-100 time now 5.9 seconds instead of 6.9 seconds

Maybe a few more information things? But that's the major ones I can remember. Google it and you'll find more.

The update has only been released in China so far but we're speculating that it will come us as our cars are also manufactured at the Shanghai facility.
The updates include:
- A slightly reworked interior to match the M3 Highland - textile trim instead of wood/white plastic and an RGB light strip.
- Black Gemini wheel covers instead of silver
- A battery range increase of about 5-10%
- An increase in acceleration on the RWD, 0-100 time now 5.9 seconds instead of 6.9 seconds

Maybe a few more information things? But that's the major ones I can remember. Google it and you'll find more.
You beat me and provided more detail. :)

This may be off topic but I just want to ask if anyone else is in a similar situation. I am currently renting a property where I am living in. The property owner has refused to allow me to install Tesla Glenn 3 connector at the property. His concern is that if battery catches fire the fire brigade won’t be able to put it out and the battery will have to be let fully burn off. This may cause damage to adjacent properties as well.

If I use mobile charger which plugs into standard household power outlet I don’t need landlord’s permission. I believe mobile charger is more risky since it take very long time to charge the battery.

Not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi guys,
Just had a mate who works at Tesla Alexandria talk with DAFF, the inspection of the GC has been postponed by 2 weeks minimum. They aren’t sure when it will unload next but he said Sydney deliveries are going to start right before February. DAFF has stated “The Glovis Caravel has the most issues related to biosecurity and the Australian Agriculture Department aren’t taking any chances” Hope this has cleared up a few things and I will keep on updating what is happening.

For those who are looking for a free UMC charger or 5,000 kms of free supercharging as compensation for the delays, Tesla really wants to but they aren’t able to as they do not have any correlation with the delays of the GC. If anyone is thinking of cancelling their order, Tesla advises not to as the next shipment of Tesla MY’s will be shipped out February 2024. As I own a M3P and have waited 7 months for it. I can agree it is totally worth the wait. No other electric car matches Tesla with its price and luxury.
Why would Tesla in Sydney talk direct to DAFF in Brisbane? The relationship is between the DAFF and the shipping company. I am sure that Tesla is speaking with its shipping company and would not welcome its employees in NSW ringing DAFF in Brisbane while is shipping company is managing this incident. In the company I work for that would get you sacked. If Tesla has anything it will come from its shipping company and they will tell us when they are ready I guess.

Why would Tesla in Sydney talk direct to DAFF in Brisbane? The relationship is between the DAFF and the shipping company. I am sure that Tesla is speaking with its shipping company and would not welcome its employees in NSW ringing DAFF in Brisbane while is shipping company is managing this incident. In the company I work for that would get you sacked. If Tesla has anything it will come from its shipping company and they will tell us when they are ready I guess.
A valid point.

This may be off topic but I just want to ask if anyone else is in a similar situation. I am currently renting a property where I am living in. The property owner has refused to allow me to install Tesla Glenn 3 connector at the property. His concern is that if battery catches fire the fire brigade won’t be able to put it out and the battery will have to be let fully burn off. This may cause damage to adjacent properties as well.

If I use mobile charger which plugs into standard household power outlet I don’t need landlord’s permission. I believe mobile charger is more risky since it take very long time to charge the battery.

Dunno why you'd want to pay the money to install a wall connector into someone else's property. But the risk of fire is practically the same as using the UMC as the charger is in the car itself... Minimal to zero. The wall connector just feeds it a higher current to the charger, and you can get 3-phase installed.

Just stick with the UMC. Perhaps get a 15Amp socket installed if they allow that and you'll reduce the charge time slightly.

Edit - Depending on your model, the batteries are rated to safely take between 170-250KW of power. The wall connector can give a maximum of 11KW of power. It's safe.

Last edited:

Sounds like your landlord is spending too much time listening to 2GB and Fox News. All you can do is point out that EV sales have reached 8.5% of the new car market in Australia and he or she will be running into this problem increasingly in the future and they need to think about how they will deal with this.
In contrast, installing a circuit for the charge connector make the property more desirable once you move on.
Then send them this Guardian article that actually explains that EVs are 1/10 as likely as ICE to catch fire and fire brigades are developing measures to deal with EV fires when they do occur.
Good luck.