Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all!

My standard range black Model Y is on the Glovis. I am an Uber driver in Melbourne (since 2015) and the shift to an EV is a big one for me. I was resistant at first, and my plan was to replace my current Audi A6 with a newer A6. My stance changed after I got a place in Uber's 50% EV service fee discount, which equals up to $7000 in my pocket over this financial year and the next. Add to that the GST refund for Uber drivers, the (big) fuel savings and the phrase "no brainer" comes to mind.

I ordered my "inventory" car on 01 Dec, and the delivery window was originally 24 dec - 15 Jan. Now it's 15 Jan - 05 Feb.

For the moment, I am using the additional time until delivery, to work the wheels off my Audi, to accumulate the maximum deposit amount I can. My finance is already approved and I already have a 25% deposit ready. At my current tempo it being high season, my deposit amount is increasing rapidly.

On the downside, if my Tesla is delayed too much, then I won't be left with much time to get the maximum service fee discount benefit from Uber.

I got the same email mentioned above today, plus I was on the phone yesterday with Tesla, and they told me that what is happening is DAFF conducts a fumigation, spray or whatever it is they do, after which they wait a prescribed number of days then do another inspection. If the inspection passes the ship is released, if not then the whole process is repeated. The email I received also said the ship would unload in Victoria.

Greetings all!

My standard range black Model Y is on the Glovis. I am an Uber driver in Melbourne (since 2015) and the shift to an EV is a big one for me. I was resistant at first, and my plan was to replace my current Audi A6 with a newer A6. My stance changed after I got a place in Uber's 50% EV service fee discount, which equals up to $7000 in my pocket over this financial year and the next. Add to that the GST refund for Uber drivers, the (big) fuel savings and the phrase "no brainer" comes to mind.

I ordered my "inventory" car on 01 Dec, and the delivery window was originally 24 dec - 15 Jan. Now it's 15 Jan - 05 Feb.

For the moment, I am using the additional time until delivery, to work the wheels off my Audi, to accumulate the maximum deposit amount I can. My finance is already approved and I already have a 25% deposit ready. At my current tempo it being high season, my deposit amount is increasing rapidly.

On the downside, if my Tesla is delayed too much, then I won't be left with much time to get the maximum service fee discount benefit from Uber.

I got the same email mentioned above today, plus I was on the phone yesterday with Tesla, and they told me that what is happening is DAFF conducts a fumigation, spray or whatever it is they do, after which they wait a prescribed number of days then do another inspection. If the inspection passes the ship is released, if not then the whole process is repeated. The email I received also said the ship would unload in Victoria.
That's the plan for me also.
Every week it is delayed, the more I'm saving to put into the deposit.

I do Uber Eats deliveries and currently spend over $150 a week in fuel. I am looking forward to the fuel savings.
I ordered in August and got finance sorted soon after the final invoice was issued.
I blindly thought there would be no issue and would take delivery within the 90 days that the finance approval was held for (totally doable with the original EDD).
I now have an EDD of DEC 31 - JAN 21 (will probably move again given what I an seeing here) and finance approved until around Jan 7.
I have been told that they can extend the approval a little and I have no issue reapplying but it will be a pain.

I would love to hear what your workflow will be in the Tesla.
I really don't want to mount a phone to the windscreen and my S23 Ultra is too large (I think) for the MagBak screen mount.

Just speaking from personal circumstances, I asked about the finances being approved but no car delivered and I was originally given the option to cancel and redo, however with the rising interest rates everywhere my repayments would increase.
I've since been able to lock in the current rates which I am happy about as it's been the only thing saving me from an outright cancellation and changing to a different brand.

Reactions: Goneincognito
Just speaking from personal circumstances, I asked about the finances being approved but no car delivered and I was originally given the option to cancel and redo, however with the rising interest rates everywhere my repayments would increase.
I've since been able to lock in the current rates which I am happy about as it's been the only thing saving me from an outright cancellation and changing to a different brand.
Same here.
My interest rates are currently held and would change if I had to reapply.

I do Uber Eats deliveries and currently spend over $150 a week in fuel. I am looking forward to the fuel savings.
I ordered in August and got finance sorted soon after the final invoice was issued.
I blindly thought there would be no issue and would take delivery within the 90 days that the finance approval was held for (totally doable with the original EDD).
I now have an EDD of DEC 31 - JAN 21 (will probably move again given what I an seeing here) and finance approved until around Jan 7.
I have been told that they can extend the approval a little and I have no issue reapplying but it will be a pain.

I really don't want to mount a phone to the windscreen and my S23 Ultra is too large (I think) for the MagBak screen mount.
This might work for you. I have bought all the bits for mine when it finally arrives.

This might work for you. I have bought all the bits for mine when it finally arrives.
Thanks for reminding me about this.
I use QuadLock in my current car so this may be a viable option

Reactions: Terry Rawson

Charging costs should be around 1/5 fuel costs per km if you are using public fast charging, down to as low as 1/10 if you charge at home.

I advised my broker about the delay in order to see how that may affect my approval. Worst case scenario I end up paying while waiting for it a bit longer. My main concern is not to be delayed to the point that I'm physically unable to gain the full benefit of the service fee discount before the end of the FY.

I don't anticipate my workflow in the Tesla to be much different from the Audi, other than I will be less averse to taking Uber X trips. The reduced fuel cost together with the Uber service fee discount will boost income on every trip by at least 15%. The 400+km range of the car means it's unlikely I will need to charge while working. In any case my focus will be on Uber Premier and private customers.

I might use google maps mirroring to have the nav info displayed on the infotainment screen but I'm undecided.

Reactions: Goneincognito
I am wondering about an interesting scenario, this is based on some assumptions and feedback from Tesla so far.

If the Glovis has a huge inventory as they have stated and people are cancelling, when this ship does eventually arrive it's going to have MY23 cars being sold in 2024. Every other dealer sells the previous year's model at a discounted price during January/February to clear stock.

Does Tesla do this too? Will they continue to sell MY23 stock at full price or discount it? Will previous orders receive a discount? What happens if the Shanghai factory exclusively switches to the updated Model Y for RHD vehicles and they begin to arrive in Australia?

I am wondering about an interesting scenario, this is based on some assumptions and feedback from Tesla so far.

If the Glovis has a huge inventory as they have stated and people are cancelling, when this ship does eventually arrive it's going to have MY23 cars being sold in 2024. Every other dealer sells the previous year's model at a discounted price during January/February to clear stock.

Does Tesla do this too? Will they continue to sell MY23 stock at full price or discount it? Will previous orders receive a discount? What happens if the Shanghai factory exclusively switches to the updated Model Y for RHD vehicles and they begin to arrive in Australia?
That is one of the reasons that I am quietly waiting to see what happens. I don’t have VIN assigned which means my car has not been built yet. I am fine if I get my MY LR in March-April and its updated version. I will not accept 2023 built car in 2024.

BTW (off topic i know) what vehicles do I get if I book Uber Premier. Some of the UberX/xl/comforts are very poor quality cars. I also hate having to constantly tell the driver to turn on the aircon
One important benefit you get when booking Premier, is that you are almost certain to get a local driver (as opposed to one who is here on a temporary visa). Local drivers have generally been driving for longer, and are owner-operators of their cars, compared to the majority of temporary workers who rent their white camrys from Splend.

I ordered a Model Y with rear-wheel drive at the end of November, and I still don't have a VIN yet. Does this mean they haven't started manufacturing the car yet?
They probably haven't, but not having a VIN has little to do with it. The cars aren't built-to-order - they'll build a bunch in different variants, presumably based on the relative popularity of various combinations, then assign those vehicles to orders. The assignment process can happen anywhere from the factory gate to the delivery centre in Australia.

Reactions: thecasualplaya
Hmm Small cars such as A4, Polestar 2 and M3 are included. And Splend rents out P2 and M3 as well...
Those are just too small as a "Premier" car IMO
MY acceptable.
I totally agree. A4, 3-series BMWs, C-series mercs only recently were added to the list. The PS2 and Telsa Model 3 are obviously too small in the back.

Due to Uber's arbitrary 6-year limit, my pristine A6 ages out of Premier in a few weeks while newer Polestars and tiny 3-series beemers stay eligible. *shrug*.

I'm actually keeping the Audi rather than trading it in for peanuts, simply because it's so nice and I will still use it for private work.

I had a look at Tesla's available model Y inventory and the pickings are very slim at the moment. I think supply and demand apply here.

What might be an issue, is if a subsequent shipment of cars is let through whilst the Glovis languishes out at sea.