Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know but I have (well I say have I have ordered last year) a MY Performance which uses a different lighter more powerful battery 75kwh NMC which recommends 80% charging for daily use.
I never understood this.
If the RW can charge to 100%
But the LR or performance should only charge to 80% then doesn’t they mean they have 20% of range that they can’t use? Which then puts them on par with the RW range?
Or can you still charge them to 100% occasionally if you need the range ?

I never understood this.

Or can you still charge them to 100% occasionally if you need the range ?
You can charge them to 100% every day if you really want to OR if you need the extra range, it's just a recommendation that's all to get maximum battery life.
Up to you, if you want to be really anal keep the charge to 40-60% but this is getting off topic, meanwhile I continue to wait for my car and Tesla only tells me that is in transit (ex stinky GC)

Reactions: Mexican Batman
I never understood this.
RWD battery has a different chemistry to the LR/P battery

The RWD, because of its chemistry, needs to be charged to 100% from time to time (Tesla says weekly) because it needs a 100% charge so the Battery Management system to accurately estimate available range

The LR/P battery is different. It does not need to be charged to 100% for BMS estimation of range. Additionally because of its chemistry, there is a recommendation to charge to less %. Most people don't need 100% battery charge for daily driving. Tesla recommends charging between 50-80% for daily driving. However there is no problem if you do need to charge to 100% - say for a longer trip. Charging to lower State of Charge improves battery life.

There is no point charging to 100% if by the time you get home at the end of the day the battery is 80%. The battery is always there even if you don't charge to 100%.

I charge to 50% for daily driving. I get home with 30-40%. There is no need to charge to 100% when I only use 10-30% of that each day. If I need 100% I don't have a problem charging to 100%.

Overall recommendations for both batteries is to always try to charge daily rather than charge to 100% and drain to 0%. Small charging sessions is best. ABC= "always be charging"

@jq371
LR/P batteries also have other benefits.
The max charging speed is higher than RWD batteries: 250kW vs 170kw
The regen is also better in cold weather such as subzero in the alpine areas.

75kwh NMC which recommends 80% charging for daily use.
Between 50-80%

...... back to normal programming in the Y waiting room

Last edited:
I think more so for Sydney. Myself and some others here are scheduled for delivery in late Feb. We were all on MC. So still a month away and with more ships to unload.
I would not be surprised if cars on ships after MC are delivered before we get our cars in late Feb - seems to be the Tesla logic going on.

When I asked why it takes so long the Tesla person told me that it is because the spec of the car is different from those who can pick it up next week.... I find that interesting.

Between 50-80%

...... back to normal programming in the Y waiting room
You're being pedantic here, I obviously meant that Tesla recommend a "maximum" of 80% charge for daily use for the LR/P version of the battery.

No matter 50-80% is a good strategy to follow if you value battery health, although I think for the majority of people battery health will be a non-issue.

Meanwhile back in the waiting room, if people have got late delivery for their Model Y's I guess that means best case early March and more likely just before Easter for myself. I've always maintained that which will be a shame because my Model 3 LR leaves our household in mid February.

Paganella is entering PK 🙏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_091133_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_091133_Brave.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 36
Paganella is entering PK 🙏
How exciting..

Once the car is there, then I have to deal with the NL company to organise delivery and payment which I’m sure will be more hurdles - their communication has been pretty poor - unanswered emails and phone calls… i feel like I’m signing up to 5 years of frustration but anyway - hoping once it’s all underway I won’t have to have too much to do with them

You can charge to 100% every single day without issue

I have an Electric Unicycle with a massive about of cycles and no adverse effects and it’s always been charged to 100% and held there, and it’s only got a dumb BMS

The warranty on the LR and P doesn’t exclude you from charging to 100%, if in the long run there was issues then it’s the next owners problem, chance of having my Tesla that long is exactly zero

How exciting..

Once the car is there, then I have to deal with the NL company to organise delivery and payment which I’m sure will be more hurdles - their communication has been pretty poor - unanswered emails and phone calls… i feel like I’m signing up to 5 years of frustration but anyway - hoping once it’s all underway I won’t have to have too much to do with them
Whose your NL with?

Whose your NL with?
MAXXIA. They have an exclusive deal with my employer

I rang my consultant and asked if I could use the insurance I found for my self - it covers more and is $1600 cheaper than their insurance. Consultant said shouldn’t be a problem send me the quote. So sent it 15 minutes later.

3 days later I hadn’t heard anything so I emailed “how does it look?”

No reply

7 days later I called again - left a messsge - still no call back.
Once this deal is pushed through I guess I’m going to be stuck with that original deal and their insurance