Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto de-fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s doing this for me too, very frustrating!
You can set the heating controls to manual and that will turn off the auto defogging.
Worth noting that the car may appear to be warm and mist free but it can still be ‘foggy’ in the front camera which is, I suspect, what controls the auto de-fogging. Until that is clear TACC may not be available, or the wipers may operate on a dry screen. Took me ages to realise this was the problem one day on a motorway drive where I had put the AC into manual to stop the auto defogging. Allowed it to run and the problems went away.

so what I noticed this morning:

1) I enable climate from the app while I am still at home. it warms up the the car, defrosts it, etc.
2) Once temperature is achieved, when I sit in the car, I can see that it blows hot air into windshield - defogger is on.
3) If I use app to turn climate off (probably will act same with on-screen) - the heating/climate is turned of in the car completely.
4) If I turn on heating/climate from the car - the defogging is not enabled.

maybe a coincidence... but it might be the defogging is by default on if you start to defrost/climate car from the app in advance...

can you try to confirm it?

I keep being surprised about people who want to micro-manage their car's automatic functions for very little or no reward.

The auto-defogging function is yet another example. It has no discernible disadvantage if it runs for a little longer. Warm air that would be blown into the car anyway is blown over the windshield. So what?
The disadvantages are:
a) noise
b) my legs get cold because all the heat is being sent only to the windscreen which does not appear to need it.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Went to drop someone off at Manchester Airport yesterday.
That was a 160 mile round trip and the "Auto-defogging" kept coming on ALL the time. For the whole 3 hour duration of the trip. I had to manually override the climate control in order to have a comfortable journey.
No fogging on any windows at any point, so I have no idea what's going on.
I already had the Temperature/Humidity sensor replaced twice to try and correct the fault but clearly it's not done the trick....

Reactions: pow216
I keep being surprised about people who want to micro-manage their car's automatic functions for very little or no reward.

The auto-defogging function is yet another example. It has no discernible disadvantage if it runs for a little longer. Warm air that would be blown into the car anyway is blown over the windshield. So what?
For me it doesn't stay on "for a bit longer", it can go on for over an hour.
Also, it makes your face hot and your feet cold, which is not particularly pleasant. Especially when there is no real need for it.

Reactions: Obie

Tesla's software breaks the "principle of least astonishment" regularly. The driver eventually gets used to how it works, and then an update comes along to change it again.

I highly doubt anyone wants to micromanage their climate controls. What they actually want is simple - they want it to work in a predictable manner that they can adjust to suit their needs.

Instead, they get software that tries to "auto" everything, but tends to not do a very good job of "auto", resulting in confusing behavior that actually *doesn't* meet the user's needs.

The reality is that "auto" implies that there's no subjectively to climate needs... so it will always be insufficient for a number of users.

Personally, I was quite surprised recently when the climate system in my car kept turning on by itself after I turned it off. This is my 4th Winter owning the car and this has never happened... so it felt more like a defect than an intentional feature. My windshield was not foggy at the time, but perhaps the small portion covered by the camera housing was.

Tesla's software breaks the "principle of least astonishment" regularly. The driver eventually gets used to how it works, and then an update comes along to change it again.

I highly doubt anyone wants to micromanage their climate controls. What they actually want is simple - they want it to work in a predictable manner that they can adjust to suit their needs.

Instead, they get software that tries to "auto" everything, but tends to not do a very good job of "auto", resulting in confusing behavior that actually *doesn't* meet the user's needs.

The reality is that "auto" implies that there's no subjectively to climate needs... so it will always be insufficient for a number of users.

Personally, I was quite surprised recently when the climate system in my car kept turning on by itself after I turned it off. This is my 4th Winter owning the car and this has never happened... so it felt more like a defect than an intentional feature. My windshield was not foggy at the time, but perhaps the small portion covered by the camera housing was.
the portion over the camera used to be separately heated. There have been thermal imaging pictures of it. it had elements like a rear windscreen.
So I don't see why this would need excessive defog unless they have done away with them.....
Is this not just an extension of Teslas Auto everything? like the heated seats.

Hi any idea how to turn off the auto de-fogging function? It ends up staying on for ages even when the car is all up to temperature & all the windows are de-fogged etc
I've had this recently. Last year it didn't do it, this year its doing it constantly. So I put it in for remote service and the guys said there are no problems remotely. If it keeps happening then to bring it in.

I'm sick and tired of the crap way this car deals with winter. Why can't they add an option to turn off Auto Defogging ?

Its mad.

Reactions: Obie and ACarneiro

auto defogging, blasts HOT air up and it ends up in your face. You can't turn it off without turning off Auto and turn down manual heat to 1.

If its not fogged up, why is it auto defogging? It makes no sense at all why an option to turn it off can't be applied.

Reactions: Obie and WllXM
they've definitely changed something. I was fighting it a couple of weeks back as I'd not hit this issue before. Turned the whole climate control off and it would turn it back on. I thought at first it was the app getting stuck trying to pre heat the car.
As Others have said, setting it to manual and messing with the settings seems to stop it, otherwise you have to drive along having your eyeballs dried out by an over excited face heater.

It'll force the climate control on after a while as well.

I was cruising on heated seats only and found that it'll start up the climate control by itself and then put it in defogging mode even when there's no fog.

My guess is they can read cabin humidity directly and have to infer it based on temperature readings. It does seem to get it wrong a lot of the time.

Reactions: Obie