TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto Deploying Side Mirrors in V 7.0

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Firewired, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Firewired

Firewired Member

I hadn't seen anyone mention this as now a feature. I have a very narrow garage opening and have to close my mirrors when I go in and out of my garage. My usual morning routine consists of closing the mirrors to back through the door, and forgetting to open them until I hear the wind hitting them once I am driving down the road. Today after I had finished backing out of the garage, when I switched from reverse to forward the side mirrors opened themselves. I am very happy with all the continued tweaks.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

That's pretty cool and I hadn't noticed that. It would be great if it could also close automatically based on geolocation.

3. Soolim

Soolim Member

If geolocation is too hard to implement, then link it to the homelink. When you press homelink to open the garage door, it also folds the mirror.

4. Caligula

Caligula Member

So this sort of answers my question I think... it would he much easier to back out of my garage with the mirrors folded in. Is there no way to put the car in reverse and keep them folded?

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Hmmm. I back into my garage and fold my mirrors in the process so I can fit in. I hope it would not auto-extend when I go into drive to leave my garage (I'm still on 6.2). That is why I turned off auto-fold in the settings because it was auto-extending when I got in the car, before I left the garage.

6. Soolim

Soolim Member

Would Homelink to auto fold (before park), and forward speed of 30kph to auto unfold work for you?

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Oh yes. If it was tied to a specific speed (like auto-lock of the doors), that should do it unless someone has a desire to fly out their tight garage! :)

8. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I think both are good, tied to homelink button and speed.

9. Wayneb

Wayneb Member

I also fold when entering and leaving my garage, but I open them as soon as I clear the door so I can see the other car sitting in the driveway. Tomorrow I'll try not opening until I shift to Drive, but I think I noticed it do that a few days ago. Nice to hear it's now a feature.

10. cottylowry

cottylowry 2013 Model S

Firewired: I assume you have a 2013 per your TMC Join Date. I have a 2013 SN# 04531 is your car older than mine? I have always assumed I didn't get folding mirrors. I bought the car used from a friend -- 1st used MS in Minnesota.

11. Firewired

Firewired Member

Cottylowry, No I have a 2014 model, delivered in December. I just had been following the Model S for quite some time prior to purchasing.

I have to apologize. When i got home this evening I tried to do the same behavior as I had witnessed in the morning, with backing up and switching to forward and it didn't do it! I don't know if it just hadn't done it "yet" the second time I started to drive forward being I hadn't gone very far forward, or if I hit the mirror button automatically without thinking when I left for work in the morning. I was certain I hadn't, but on the other hand it was 4am. I will try it again tomorrow and report back wether I was right the first time or if I should be humiliated publicly by publicizing false information unknowingly.

12. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to be humiliated publicly, but I'm pretty sure the mirrors don't unfold when you shift from reverse to drive. Mine don't.

In fact, the manual says they should unfold when you reach 25 MPH, and I don't think mine even do that, though I will check that the next time I drive.

In any case, I have just started a poll on a suggestion for how the auto-folding mirrors should operate. That poll is here:

Suggestion For Change To Auto-Folding Mirror Operation

13. Firewired

Firewired Member

No humiliation. Just an honest mistake, which I wanted everyone to know, and I aknolwedged above. I was certain the car had done it on its own, but I must have had the pattern ingrained in my subconscious by doing it everyday and hit it without even thinking when I switched from reverse to forward.

As an aside, I am also pretty certain that my mirrors also don't automatically open at 25 mph either.

14. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Actually I only mentioned the humiliation part because you did, and I was just trying to tie things up because you never actually did come back to report what you have now concluded. (Reread the post I quoted, and you'll see what I mean.)

So I was just saying I was pretty sure that was the conclusion you would have reached, that's all! :)

Edit: and as for the 25 MPH, if after checking I see that I'm right, and they don't, I'll probably try to check with a few other people by posting here, and if none of our mirrors operate this way, I'll also make Tesla aware of that. It was a good idea, and they --SHOULD-- do this.