Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Dimming Mirrors.... Kinda Dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The side-motors are way too dark at night. I have not tinted windows, thanks god otherwise I would not have been to see AYTHING at all. I have to say it’s really dangerous when I’m trying to change lanes at night on freeway. I almost don’t do it because I can’t see anything but some headlights, barely.

agree... i find myself just staying in my lane after dark because i can't really tell who's coming to the side.

Reactions: preilly44
I've submitted my feedback to Tesla on this, because IMO the auto-dimming is not working as per the manual that its supposed to adjust based on the level of glare... it's strictly based on time of day. It really is a safety issue once you have any sort of tint applied :-/ At least we are able to have all the cameras show the cars around us on the display now

Reactions: preilly44
Let’s face it. All the mirrors are too small made worse by the position of the rear window. I just purchased this a couple of days ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGJFNCA/

That's a great solution. Many of us put Broadway mirrors which is a very know brand for clip on mirrors. They come flat or convex. I personally prefer the convex for blind spots. They come in a slight blue tint for glare reduction or the standard if you already have tinted rear windows. They run about $8-20 dependent on seller. The 240mm seems to be a great size and does not obstruct the sun shades.

Reactions: substance12
Even with the windows rolled down, I can’t see anything but headlights. It’s almost impossible to make out the cars themselves. I have to rely on my 3rd party blindspot mirror.

The rear view mirror is worse since I have a slightly darker tint in the back (30%) and the view is poor to begin with due to the trunk height, rear seat headrests, and small mirror. I have to use the backup camera to get a good view at night.

That's a great solution. Many of us put Broadway mirrors which is a very know brand for clip on mirrors. They come flat or convex. I personally prefer the convex for blind spots. They come in a slight blue tint for glare reduction or the standard if you already have tinted rear windows. They run about $8-20 dependent on seller. The 240mm seems to be a great size and does not obstruct the sun shades.
Which model number of the Broadway mirror are you using (there are quite a few on Amazon)? I may get both the flat and convex versions to see which I prefer.

Reactions: substance12
I'm also curious about which model. I see 7xx and 8xx series Broadway mirrors but don't know the difference.

Given the small back window of the m3, is the only purpose of an after market mirror to disable the auto dimming?
For me, that would be the primary reason. I'm also thinking that, with a physically wider and convex mirror, I will be able to get a wider field of vision that may compensate somewhat for the dark outside mirrors and help me see vehicles coming up beside me on either side. Given the price, I'm willing to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, my wife said she'd use it on her van.

Let’s face it. All the mirrors are too small made worse by the position of the rear window. I just purchased this a couple of days ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGJFNCA/

agree... i think they should mount the rear view mirror slightly higher so it can point more downward and give better low visibility through the window. as it is i can only see the tops of cars and my seat is high as it goes.

Which model number of the Broadway mirror are you using (there are quite a few on Amazon)? I may get both the flat and convex versions to see which I prefer.

This is the one I got:
Broadway 9.4" Convex Clear Interior Rear view Mirror Snap on Blind Spot Z130 | eBay

Broadway 9.4" Convex Blue Tint Interior Rearview Mirror Snap on Blind Spot B54 | eBay

Broadway 9.4" Flat Clear Eliminates blind spot Interior Rearview Mirror P258 | eBay

Broadway 9.4" Flat Blue Tint Eliminates blind spot Interior Rearview Mirror F194 | eBay

I would do the blue if you don't have tinted windows. It helps with glare from headlights at night.

Price is right. I remember having to pay $20-35 for the same mirrors back in the day.
This guys ships fast. Got mine in 3 days.

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
This is the one I got:
Broadway 9.4" Convex Clear Interior Rear view Mirror Snap on Blind Spot Z130 | eBay

Broadway 9.4" Convex Blue Tint Interior Rearview Mirror Snap on Blind Spot B54 | eBay

Broadway 9.4" Flat Clear Eliminates blind spot Interior Rearview Mirror P258 | eBay

Broadway 9.4" Flat Blue Tint Eliminates blind spot Interior Rearview Mirror F194 | eBay

I would do the blue if you don't have tinted windows. It helps with glare from headlights at night.

Price is right. I remember having to pay $20-35 for the same mirrors back in the day.
This guys ships fast. Got mine in 3 days.
Thanks!