Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Fold On Park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to auto fold the mirrors when one hits the park function? I have it programmed for auto fold at home however being so used to using the mirrors when backing out of the garage, I really want them unfolded when backing up which I now need to do manually. Problem is I have to back out of the garage and then travel a good 75' or more down the road before they unfold using the auto fold function. I do not lock the car in my garage but it is nice to have the mirrors folded for body clearance when walking by. Putting it in park to fold the mirrors and unfold when drive selected is what would work best for me for me.

A locked car (even in the garage) is a happy car. Locking is required to fully close the electrical functions, thus preserving battery charge. I think this would eliminate your issue.

If you lock the Tesla then the alarm system will be active, use more power than if the vehicle is unlocked. Either locked or unlocked the Tesla will disconnect the battery pack after a while. The 12V battery would power the BT, LTE, and alarm for approximately 24 to 30 hours before the 12V battery charge will be automatically maintained using power from the battery pack. The Tesla does not need to be plugged in to maintain the 12V battery.

Last edited:
jcanoe: In "sleep" mode, the alarm system is drawing MORE power than if the car is left unlocked?

An unlocked Tesla vehicle will enter sleep mode as will a locked Tesla vehicle. The load on the 12V battery will be slightly less if the alarm circuit is not active. When you lock the Tesla vehicle the alarm system would be activated (unless there is a setting to turn off the alarm, I can't recall if this is an option under the Security settings.)

What I meant by drawing more power when the alarm system is active is the load on the 12V battery. The nominal load is ~2A, 25W to power the essential 12V systems. It does not matter whether the Tesla is in sleep mode; sleep mode just disconnects the high voltage battery from the rest of the Tesla vehicle and shuts down non essential 12V systems.

The 12V battery provides power for any 12V systems that remain active unless you completely power down the Tesla vehicle. The 12V battery can carry the load for 24 hours or a bit longer before the Tesla will connect the high voltage battery so that the 12V battery can be charged using power from the high voltage battery via the DC-to-DC Converter.

Last edited:
Because it has happened way too many times I want access however I do not have my phone on me to unlock the door. PITA. Absolutely no reason to lock her up in a private garage at home.
option 1: use a voice command (its quick)
option 2: maybe (as I do) get a keycard ring (Smart Ring | Tesla Key Ring) so you always have a way to unlock the car even if you dont have your phone?

I was hoping for a, did you miss this feature answer however a fold on park and unfold on drive is obviously not possible unless the people at Tesla decide to add this option in a download. Did not think about the unfold verbal command so I guess this will be my best option however it is still another button push and verbal command for something rather simple.

The fold at this location is great however I do find the time to unfold is way too long. I do understand if one is in a very tight garage one does not want them to unfold until the car is out of the garage. Sure sounds like it is GPS based and works on the same principle as geofencing. Maybe adding a selectable unfolding delay function and have them unfold when reverse is selected as default, at least this way all bases are covered for everyone and mirrors are available when reversing without needing to manually deploy them. Thanks for all the input.

I was hoping for a, did you miss this feature answer however a fold on park and unfold on drive is obviously not possible unless the people at Tesla decide to add this option in a download. Did not think about the unfold verbal command so I guess this will be my best option however it is still another button push and verbal command for something rather simple.

The fold at this location is great however I do find the time to unfold is way too long. I do understand if one is in a very tight garage one does not want them to unfold until the car is out of the garage. Sure sounds like it is GPS based and works on the same principle as geofencing. Maybe adding a selectable unfolding delay function and have them unfold when reverse is selected as default, at least this way all bases are covered for everyone and mirrors are available when reversing without needing to manually deploy them. Thanks for all the input.
I suspect Tesla Engineering has bigger fish to fry (like getting rid of phantom braking!!!) and in any case there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Given that the fender cameras are quite adequate for backing through an opening, I don't think they'll have much interest in creating another configuration selection for driver setup. I want the mirrors folded when I enter and leave the garage, so the status quo is fine for me. In fact I do put the car in Park when I arrive in the driveway, but only so I can select the Garage driver profile that uses Creep mode, Chill acceleration and no auto-lock. Then it's back in Drive to enter the garage. I back out with mirrors folded for doorway clearance and just use the cameras for guidance. I can live without the mirrors for the hundred feet or so that they take to unfold, since I have no need for a rear view during that time.

Leave the mirrors folded in the garage. When the rear camera comes on, sweep up from the bottom to add the two rear-facing camera views. They're great for centering the car as you back through the door. Once you set the display that way, it will stay.
This is what I started doing and I haven't looked back, so to speak. I also don't lock the car inside my garage and like to have the mirrors folded to make it easier to get around the car, so I just use the camera views instead.

Maybe in the future auto-fold will be so precise as to trigger after the car is inside the garage. Or, to add to what @Midnightsun is suggesting, how about a choice between "auto-fold at this location immediately" and "auto-fold at this location once the car is in Park"?

Reactions: Toneus
I suspect Tesla Engineering has bigger fish to fry (like getting rid of phantom braking!!!) and in any case there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Given that the fender cameras are quite adequate for backing through an opening, I don't think they'll have much interest in creating another configuration selection for driver setup. I want the mirrors folded when I enter and leave the garage, so the status quo is fine for me. In fact I do put the car in Park when I arrive in the driveway, but only so I can select the Garage driver profile that uses Creep mode, Chill acceleration and no auto-lock. Then it's back in Drive to enter the garage. I back out with mirrors folded for doorway clearance and just use the cameras for guidance. I can live without the mirrors for the hundred feet or so that they take to unfold, since I have no need for a rear view during that time.
Tell me more about your garage driver profile, sounds like a great idea.

Tell me more about your garage driver profile, sounds like a great idea.
Yeah, it's great. I got the idea from another post. I'm the only one who puts the car away so it's basically my profile with changes to the stopping mode, acceleration and auto-lock. Mainly, I got tired of having to take my phone into the garage when I wanted to get into the car. I normally drive in Hold and auto-lock it in the driveway but the Garage profile uses Creep for easier control (I have to stop with about 4" in front of the car) and no auto-lock. You can also use a different energy measure (distance vs charge level) if there's a need for that. The beauty of an additional profile is that you don't have to make the selections on the screen every time, and whichever driver gets into the car next, it will activate their personal driver profile. Just remember that if you change stopping mode, you have to put the car in Park first.

Mine folds on lock and home. But at home it doesn't lock. Not clear if that's what you're after, but if it is, you can do it.