Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aw man - that's stupid. There's gotta be a way for TDMM to add a temp date for now and modify after the fact?

I asked them if they can just put in a date, and then change it after, but the agent didn't seem to be able to get that done.

but then again, I don't see why Tesla can't just give me a damn delivery date, and then I can complete the policy and fill it in. my resentment for their delivery process is growing by the minute. I responded to the ISA's email immediately telling them that I needed a delivery date before getting the insurance, and haven't heard jack since. even a simple reply saying that they don't have a firm delivery date available would suffice.

I asked them if they can just put in a date, and then change it after, but the agent didn't seem to be able to get that done.

but then again, I don't see why Tesla can't just give me a damn delivery date, and then I can complete the policy and fill it in. my resentment for their delivery process is growing by the minute. I responded to the ISA's email immediately telling them that I needed a delivery date before getting the insurance, and haven't heard jack since. even a simple reply saying that they don't have a firm delivery date available would suffice.

Not sure if you've already done this but try emailing the general email address - toronto_delivery at tesla dot com. When I got an out of office email from my Yorkdale ISA and that she would be on vacation until the day I had suggested delivery, I emailed them here and someone from the Lawrence team picked up the slack and emailed me within a day or two. He essentially did my ISA's job and pencilled me in for a delivery date without even having a firm ETA for the car. Turns out everything went fine, but maybe you'll get lucky this way.

I started my insurance on June 1st knowing the delivery is some time in the first two weeks. Perhaps you can estimate your delivery date and start it early to get the slip; up to you. What did you place the order/configured? I configured April 26th and delivery is June 7th; exactly 7 weeks.

There was an Aviva sales booth inside the Tesla delivery room at the Toronto International Centre when I took delivery. It seemed strange to me because we all had to arrange insurance in advance but for those who are still looking for car insurance quotes, here's a photo of the brochure they had:
aviva at tesla.jpg

Got mine from State Farm. Came out to be $2154 a year just with auto. RBC gave me the lowest quote at $1360 but they won't sell it to me without my proof of driving history from the US. Picking up the car tmr so won't have to time request that from the DMVs down south. Still, quite significant of a premium difference though... Prob would have been half the cost in the States :(

I went with TD MM in the end. It was far and away the lowest I was quoted. by itself for my wife and I, it was $1544/year. I decided to also get home insurance with them, and it brought it down to $1343/year. Location: Downtown Toronto.

I just realized that TD MM didn't call me back when they were going to add the Model 3 to their system! I'm on a Model S 75D but come on it's June 20th haha other providers had it setup a month or more ago right?

Still loving the drive, just want to see what changes are coming when quoting the right model car.

I just realized that TD MM didn't call me back when they were going to add the Model 3 to their system! I'm on a Model S 75D but come on it's June 20th haha other providers had it setup a month or more ago right?

Still loving the drive, just want to see what changes are coming when quoting the right model car.

Actually called them to remove a vehicle from our policy (that the M3 replaced) as we just sold it over the weekend. They still don't have it in their system!

• Informative
Reactions: phigment
ya found it odd at the international centre that they had a booth selling insurance, when all of us had to have insurance in order to get delivery of our vehicles that day.. i didn't even bother talking to them or seeing what they had to offer, such a waste.

During my 3 hour wait I actually debated going over & asking why they were there. In the end I decided that'd be too rude, even I was super bored lol...

Just got my renewal notice for my Model S from TDMM. 30% increase in my premiums, leaves me scratching my head.

No claims.
No tickets.
No accidents.
Didn't move.
Still have two cars and our home with them. No claims with the other car as well.

I haven't had a chance to call yet but need to figure this out. At that price, I'll probaby switch to one of the better insurers (albeit more expensive - like Co-operators).

Just got my renewal notice for my Model S from TDMM. 30% increase in my premiums, leaves me scratching my head.

No claims.
No tickets.
No accidents.
Didn't move.
Still have two cars and our home with them. No claims with the other car as well.

I haven't had a chance to call yet but need to figure this out. At that price, I'll probaby switch to one of the better insurers (albeit more expensive - like Co-operators).

I believe I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but here's a recap in case it can help.

I've had two Model S's now over the past 5 years with RBC and my payments are around $95 / month after tax. I'm in Mississauga. I also have other vehicles and my primary home insured with them which is similar to your case so I thought this might help if you were considering shopping around.

Reactions: Struja
I believe I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but here's a recap in case it can help.

I've had two Model S's now over the past 5 years with RBC and my payments are around $95 / month after tax. I'm in Mississauga. I also have other vehicles and my primary home insured with them which is similar to your case so I thought this might help if you were considering shopping around.

Thank you @cwave1 but I'd rather pay a bit more than use RBC/Aviva. I have a lot of daily interactions with Aviva and Wawanesa and I'd rather stay away but I do appreciate the tip.

ya found it odd at the international centre that they had a booth selling insurance, when all of us had to have insurance in order to get delivery of our vehicles that day.. i didn't even bother talking to them or seeing what they had to offer, such a waste.
Not really strange. I didn't bother changing insurance companies or shopping it around when I got my TM3, I have a house and another vehicle. At end of August when my insurance renewal comes due, I will shop it because DGI is charging me way too much. I suspect a lot of people are doing the same

No claims.
No tickets.
No accidents.
Didn't move.

Check if you have depreciation cost coverage or replacement cost coverage where they replace the same vehicle full as new even if older. Those premiums increase over time, They start like $50-100 a year and by year 3 it's like $600 (at least that's my experience with them) had to drop that coverage to get back to reasonable premiums.

Reactions: Falkirk and Struja