Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with TD Meloche Monnex, have you been contacted about fixing the paperwork to reflect Model 3? Mine was set up at a Model s 75D as Model 3 wasn't in their system, and I still haven't heard anything from them yet

Nope nothing yet. Though at the rate they've given, I'm in no rush.

Same here, $50/yr cheaper than a Saturn Ion 2007.... I'll take it!

Same here $8 a month more now, amazing to think Model S is cheaper to insure than the 3 but I'm sure with more data it'll reverse, the repair costs must be less for the 3 right? And it's just as safe hopefully which is another major criteria for the pricing.

I have contacted my current insurance company last month and got a quote for $1800/year based on Model S 75D. I still need to check if Model 3 is listed are not.
I also checked with Aviva Canada, and came to know that they don't have M3 listed in their system yet (this is also last month)
I also called my insurance company (Aviva/RBC) and was quoted $800/yr for my upcoming Model 3 in September. Hi

I ended up getting the best price from The Co-operators.

Initial quote on their website was $30/month higher than TDMM, but after talking to them on the phone they applied some more discounts (including a generous EV discount) that brought the price down very close for better coverage.

I tried to go with TDMM, because it was still cheaper, but when attempting to bind coverage it jumped $10/month and became more expensive. With the extra $10-15/month that people are getting now that the TM3 is added to TDMM's system, I'm thinking I definitely made the right choice.

I'd recommend calling The Co-operators for those still shopping and getting a full detail quote. Cheaper, better coverage, and general opinion seems to be they're easier to deal with for claims.

Reactions: Struja
I ended up getting the best price from The Co-operators.

Initial quote on their website was $30/month higher than TDMM, but after talking to them on the phone they applied some more discounts (including a generous EV discount) that brought the price down very close for better coverage.

I tried to go with TDMM, because it was still cheaper, but when attempting to bind coverage it jumped $10/month and became more expensive. With the extra $10-15/month that people are getting now that the TM3 is added to TDMM's system, I'm thinking I definitely made the right choice.

I'd recommend calling The Co-operators for those still shopping and getting a full detail quote. Cheaper, better coverage, and general opinion seems to be they're easier to deal with for claims.

I am with TDMM and deal with all Ontario insurers on a daily basis and Co-operators is light years better than TDMM in my opinion. They are the best if you ever have to make a claim. You did very well.

ICBC has a monopoly on basic insurance, we have no choice but to buy it from them. I can buy your optional insurance from a third party but it's typically not a huge savings as they know that they don't have to sell that much cheaper than ICBC to be considered a "deal"

The price you quoted is unusually high and I am not all that familiar with ICBC, but I can tell you that your basic coverage for things like Statutory Accident Benefits are significantly superior to ours in Ontario. It's the old... "you get what you pay for".

In 2010, our Provincial government made a promise of an insurance rate reduction (of about 15% IIRC) but they were duped by the insurance industry. What happened was that basic statutory accident benefits coverage went into the toilet and the general public saw almost no reductions in premiums. Now, 8 years later, any reductions in premiums have all been taken back, yet the crappy coverage remains in place.

So... some examples... pre 2010... if you suffered a Catastrophic Injury in a car accident, you had up to $2 million in coverage for things like Rehab, Attendant Care (someone coming to your home to help you with bathing, dressing etc..), housekeeping assistance etc.... That was cut in half. Once you run out, you're screwed.

Now... you can still buy many of this types of benefits as "optional", but once you start adding these things, our numbers start looking a lot closer to yours, so it is probably a wash in the end.

I pay extra for these optional benefits:

1. Enhanced income replacement benefits (up to $1000 week)
2. Caregiver benefits for my wife's policy (as she is the primary caregiver of our kids)
3. $2 million dollar umbrella
4. Housekeeping coverage

Most people I know aren't even aware that the coverage has been eroded away until it is too late.

• Informative
Reactions: Koflach
B.C. drivers paying up to $1k more per year for insurance than other Canadians: industry

An organization that represents Canada’s insurance industry says B.C. drivers are paying the highest insurance premiums in the country.

According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s (IBC) figures, the average British Columbian is paying about $1,680 per year to insure their car this year. That’s compared to about $1,445 in Ontario, $1,251 in Alberta, and $796 in Prince Edward Island.

The figure comes as the B.C. government looks to minimize losses as the public insurer, which topped $1.3 billion in the last fiscal year.

After a pair of reviews, the province has implemented major changes to ICBC, which include a cap on payouts for soft-tissue injuries and shifting insurance claims out of the courts and into B.C.’s Civil Resolution Tribunal.

But the IBC says there’s one major solution the province is ignoring: ending ICBC’s monopoly on basic insurance coverage.

Under B.C.’s insurance rules, drivers must buy basic insurance, which covers third-party liability, from ICBC, but are permitted to shop among private insurers for additional coverage.

FYI: I just renewed the insurance on my 2014 Hyundai Sonata and I pay $2121.72 for insurance. It went up by about $180 over last year.

• Informative
Reactions: Struja