TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by vidya_sagar, May 4, 2018.

1. vidya_sagar

vidya_sagar Member

I am starting this thread for those who are in need to get auto insurance for Model 3 in Canada.

2. vidya_sagar

vidya_sagar Member

I have contacted my current insurance company last month and got a quote for $1800/year based on Model S 75D. I still need to check if Model 3 is listed are not.
    I also checked with Aviva Canada, and came to know that they don't have M3 listed in their system yet (this is also last month)

3. Mobsidian

Mobsidian Member

I was quoted 2600 for my 3 with Allstate and Aviva. Though this is with one minor ticket so without it it's 2300. Also, I was quoted 1500 for a 2012 model S last month so not sure why they're quoting a lot higher for the 3. It's even higher than what I'm paying for my civic. Sigh

4. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

• Like x 1
  5. Anurag0888

Anurag0888 New Member

I Checked with RBC insurance on Friday and they gave me a quote of $2400/year, downtown Toronto.

6. vidya_sagar

vidya_sagar Member

I think most of us got VIN's. So its easy to get quotes if M3 is listed in their systems. Comparing to Model S not working though

7. Munch

Munch Member

TDMM still doesn't have the Model 3 listed. Using the VIN doesn't help either.

• Informative x 1
  8. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I am so happy today , as my insurance broker said my Model 3 price is almost identical my Nissan Leaf. As I gave them my VIN to quote , they told me it is exact quote (not estimate).

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I clicked on the following link on my Model 3 Order page:

Part of it reads:

Tesla tells people your phone is the key, and the credit card key is a backup. So this must mean your phone is covered if it is lost, damaged or destroyed especially since any ambiguity in an insurance policy is resolved against the insurer and in favour of the insured. However, I doubt the insurer, Aviva, will view it that way. I doubt they even know about the phone being your key, even though they claim:

Funny then that you provide specific coverage for keys for the Model 3.

10. jabe

jabe Member

I got a quote from johnson.. a strange quote..here is the backstory
    i am getting my wife's 8 year old nissan altima, my wife will drive the tesla (alas, She is the one that drives more to work) I only drive 10 km to work. My 14 year old matrix hsa 140k km on it but it is dying at the right time. my matrix insurance costs my $845. my wife is paying $1050 with a different company for the nissan. my wife puts in 20 km one way to work.
    i tell them replacement cost is $6,000 for the nissan and $70,000 for the tesla.
    so here is the weird part. the quote is $1050 for each car!!!!!
    so 8 year old, $6000 nissan driven 20 km a day costs same as brand new Telsa model 3 driven at least twice that amount ..strange
    jb

• Like x 1
  11. alsetym

alsetym Member

wawanesa $1,400 in hamilton. a couple bucks more a month than my beat up old VW! pleasantly surprised.

• Like x 3
  12. vidya_sagar

vidya_sagar Member

Who is insurer?

13. vidya_sagar

vidya_sagar Member

wawanesa.

Got it

14. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

~2750/yr with Intact through a broker bundled with home insurance and using their "Driver Tracker for 1 month". (Best so far for me)

15. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

i'm really struggle with insurance... I've now got 2 quotes and theyre $2339 and $3052 per year. At this rate, I may have to second guess getting this car. So frustrating

16. Falcon3

Falcon3 Member

I got a quote from PC insurance and AVIVA
    No records and never claimed.

PC insurance with Intact: $2326/year. Includes everything

Aviva: $2346/ year . If I bundle it with home insurance you save 15% and additional 5% on top of you pay upfront so drops down to $2030. Same coverage as PC. But the interesting thing with this is $0 deductible if you’ve been claim free for past 5 years. If not, it will be 20% off on your deductible/year for every year you are claim free. It’s a nice incentive.

Insurance is quite expensive in Toronto compared to what I’m seeing on this forum.

• Like x 1
  17. akidesir

akidesir Member

Try cooperators

18. pmich80

They're so helpful at the Cooperators. I managed to get a quote of $2080 per year but that includes Enroute tracking of my driving. (which I worry once I show how fast this car goes).

• Like x 1
  19. AFGTA

AFGTA Member

You guys must all have crappy driving records or your insurers are screwing you. My broker quoted me under $1000

• Disagree x 1
  20. pmich80

No I have a perfect record... It must be because i'm single and in Toronto. I'm so annoyed at this point.

• Informative x 1