Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting stuff guys. appreciate your help. yeah it doesn't seem to work on the north circular or the a40. Suppose its no biggy but it does make me feel maybe I was too quick to spurge on the FSD as it doesn't seem to be worth the money in the UK...

Hi all
I have a similar query. I purchased the EAP upgrade last weekend, so have access to Auto Lane Change (ALC) and Navigate on Autopilot (NOA).

My question is this: does ALC work only on roads where NOA works (e.g. a motorway but not the North/South circular)?

I ask this because the owner's manual clearly stipulates that: "Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is active" (and a bunch of other limitations, like hands on the wheel, minimum speed is 30mph, etc.). Which to me means ALC should work with or without NOA.

However, I cannot get ALC to work on road where NOA is not available, e.g. the North Circular, even with Autosteer on.
Putting the indicator on just does that - doesn't trigger a lane change.
But ALC does work as part of NOA on the motorway (e.g. M1) .

Is that a bug i should ask Tesla to resolve or is that normal?

Hi all
I have a similar query. I purchased the EAP upgrade last weekend, so have access to Auto Lane Change (ALC) and Navigate on Autopilot (NOA).

My question is this: does ALC work only on roads where NOA works (e.g. a motorway but not the North/South circular)?

I ask this because the owner's manual clearly stipulates that: "Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is active" (and a bunch of other limitations, like hands on the wheel, minimum speed is 30mph, etc.). Which to me means ALC should work with or without NOA.

However, I cannot get ALC to work on road where NOA is not available, e.g. the North Circular, even with Autosteer on.

Should work without NoA and with twin blue lines. It needs a nudge of the steering wheel before you indicate.
That said may not work everywhere.

Hi all

How fast are you going? ALC is only available if you are doing more than 30mph, and that's a speed I've never achieved on the north circular :)

Auto lane change should work regardless. If it sees the lane, it can change.

Thanks all for the replies - this is what i thought.
(Yes I tried ALC with AP on but with NOA off, at more than 30mph on the North Circular with 3+ lanes. No luck).

I suspect the EAP upgrade didn't completely work / i have an "old"/semi-working version of ALC and NoA.
For instance my Autopilot/NoA settings only display the "old" menu and does not display the newer 'no-confirmation' and 'notification' settings.
NoA abridged menu.jpg

Weird, given I am on 2020.36.11 and on HW3, right?
Suspecting this might affects the ALC behaviour and cause the above issue.

Hoping to get it fixed at next software update or via a service request.
Getting to Tesla on the phone has proven impossible this weekend / yesterday.

For instance my Autopilot/NoA settings only display the "old" menu and does not display the newer 'no-confirmation' and 'notification' settings.

No confirmation is US only. The only unconfirmed lane change we get is heading onto the offramp. Everything else we need to confirm or instigate with the indicator.

Don't know what notification is, but maybe a thing not in our region?

tbh, In UK, I know of no real downsides of having NoA turn on at start of each journey.

If stalk triggered lane change doesn't work, it may be that it does not recognise you holding the steering sufficiently. It will not perform a lane change if it does not recognise your hold and will not necessarily nag in time.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna
Yes. But other than when NoA is explicitly available, we do not know the rules of the other circumstances that it can be enabled other than it can change from time to time so is probably software and map determined - I have seen circumstances change between navigation version.

Reactions: rlasry1
Thanks all for the replies - this is what i thought.
(Yes I tried ALC with AP on but with NOA off, at more than 30mph on the North Circular with 3+ lanes. No luck).

I suspect the EAP upgrade didn't completely work / i have an "old"/semi-working version of ALC and NoA.
View attachment 593327

Weird, given I am on 2020.36.11 and on HW3, right?
Suspecting this might affects the ALC behaviour and cause the above issue.

Hoping to get it fixed at next software update or via a service request.
Getting to Tesla on the phone has proven impossible this weekend / yesterday.
Dear Mate,

I have exact same situation like your car, did you fixed the issue or any luck???

Every time my car wants to do a lane change, I indicate but then have to give the steering wheel a slight nudge in that direction. I had assumed it was part of the process, but perhaps its because of the way i'm holding the wheel?

Its been pretty good at changing lanes, on the A13 and A127 - although it does seem to have a liking for sitting in the middle lane....

In my experience, the secret to getting lane changes to work without having them abort part way through is to apply gentle but contunuous torque on the steering wheel. This takes a bit of practice - you need to hold the wheel on one side and then let the weight of your arm gently pull it down. This mimics what the Autopilot Buddy and other AP 'cheat' devices do, but you keep hold of the wheel.

In my experience, the secret to getting lane changes to work without having them abort part way through is to apply gentle but contunuous torque on the steering wheel. This takes a bit of practice - you need to hold the wheel on one side and then let the weight of your arm gently pull it down. This mimics what the Autopilot Buddy and other AP 'cheat' devices do, but you keep hold of the wheel.
It’s easier and less frustrating to just manually change lanes. It’s just a shame that you have to reset AP after every manual lane change.

I find ALC painfully slow to switch lanes. It takes forever and anyone coming up behind will think you are trying to wind them up.

It’s easier and less frustrating to just manually change lanes. It’s just a shame that you have to reset AP after every manual lane change.

I find ALC painfully slow to switch lanes. It takes forever and anyone coming up behind will think you are trying to wind them up.

I agree, I wish when I start signalling it understood I am changing lanes and when the signal cancels the AP is back on. This to me would be much better driver assistance.

Reactions: browellm
I agree, I wish when I start signalling it understood I am changing lanes and when the signal cancels the AP is back on. This to me would be much better driver assistance.
Exactly what I would like too! Auto lane change is just too slow and unpredictable to be of any real value. It works okay with very light traffic when you have all day to switch lanes and can tolerate the odd aborted attempt! But it soon gets out of its depth in heavier traffic when you need to make quick decisive moves. NoA is a bit of a joke too. Mad Max is more like Maisy Mouse.