Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change working when it wants

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm a new S100D owner, with 2000 miles so far. I have used the autosteer a lot on the highway, and the lane change was working great.

Yesterday, I drove 75 miles the morning and 75 miles the afternoon, mostly on the highway. The autosteer was working well, but lane change never had any sign of doing anything.

This was on a clean 4 lane highway (2 lane each way), autosteer on, set on the speed limit (not more), the hands on the wheel (I know auto lane change does not work if your hands are not on the wheel). When switching the turn lights, nothing happened. And I tried a lot of times.

Any idea?

For me AP lane change works when you see other lanes (rendered as empty on AP2) on the dash display. And that there are no cars too close ahead on them. In my experience holding the wheel right at the moment is not necessary at least in 2018.12 firmware.

the hands on the wheel (I know auto lane change does not work if your hands are not on the wheel)

What firmware are you on? Seriously? What’s the point of auto lane change if it only works if you are holding he steering wheel? Why don’t you just change lanes yourself if you have to hand hold it?

The problem I see with AP, at least the way you are supposed to use it, is that proper supervision is hard. And as AP gets better, it would be harder to maintain 100% vigilance for the 0.01% chance that it fails. I want AP to keep getting better but we do need to be prepared and can cross the valley where AP is not yet good enough to replace driving unsupervised, but good enough that is hard to pay full attention to it all the time.

Was the other lanes shown on the dash screen either side of the lane you were in? Is this the same road it has worked on before? Are the cameras dirty?
The car was very clean.
The road was not the same one as before.
The other lanes were not displayed.

What firmware are you on?

Firmware 2018.12, and it did not change between the day it worked and the day it didn't

Seriously?

Yes. I'm very serious

What’s the point of auto lane change if it only works if you are holding he steering wheel? Why don’t you just change lanes yourself if you have to hand hold it?

I don't like to overtake with autosteer on. You have to break the wheel resistance until AP disengages, and it's definitely not smooth. Overtaking with auto lane change is much smoother.

One solution would be allowing to disengage autosteer, without disengaging TACC, by a specific action on the AP lever. Currently, pushing the lever disengages both, and the only way to do it is by forcing on the wheel. I don't like to do it in non emergency situations.

The problem I see with AP, at least the way you are supposed to use it, is that proper supervision is hard. And as AP gets better, it would be harder to maintain 100% vigilance for the 0.01% chance that it fails. I want AP to keep getting better but we do need to be prepared and can cross the valley where AP is not yet good enough to replace driving unsupervised, but good enough that is hard to pay full attention to it all the time.

I personally don't see autosteer as an autopilot, but as an assistant for smoother driving on highways. It helps staying more centered on the lane, and it may react sooner than me if strong braking occurs ahead.

Yes, you need to try staying alert for the 0.01% chance it fails. As well as the autosteer is trying to stay alert for the 0.01% chance it fails. When both are used together, I believe the safety is better as the chance both fail at the same time is lower.

If you can't stay focused with autosteer on, you're right it's better not to use it.

Yeah, there's two main factors:

(1) Auto Lane Change sometimes gets turned off after an update. Definitely double check that first.

(2) AP2 only allows lane changes on restricted access highways. It generally indicates that by showing adjacent empty lanes on the screen. If only 1 lane is being displayed, you will not be allowed to use auto-lane-change most likely. This is a difference in behavior between AP1 and AP2, where AP1 liberally allows auto lane changes anywhere it can detect lane lines.

• Helpful
Reactions: arcus
(2) AP2 only allows lane changes on restricted access highways. It generally indicates that by showing adjacent empty lanes on the screen. If only 1 lane is being displayed, you will not be allowed to use auto-lane-change most likely. This is a difference in behavior between AP1 and AP2, where AP1 liberally allows auto lane changes anywhere it can detect lane lines.

Found this out on my AP2 X. Further, it seems the maps must recognize the road as restricted access, not the camera. There is a restricted access route that I use, is clearly multi-lane restricted access, but my car will not show the other lanes or do an automated lane change.

Found this out on my AP2 X. Further, it seems the maps must recognize the road as restricted access, not the camera. There is a restricted access route that I use, is clearly multi-lane restricted access, but my car will not show the other lanes or do an automated lane change.
Yeah, it's definitely based off a GPS-based database, not something the cameras see. It appears to be a different database from the ADAS tiles and different from the CID navigation maps, because we've observed independent changes in behavior to all 3 of those on separate occasions!

Not sure how the lane change option turned off, but suspect the last few updates turned it off. Had to turn it back on and works ok so far.
I do not know why, but since my last update, my lane change option was turned off again and this time without a update. But when this happens now at least I know how to correct and/or turn it back on quickly.